RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Heated enclosed underbelly?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Heated enclosed underbelly?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
bill321

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/09 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What exactly does it mean when they say a Travel Trailer has a Heated Enclosed Underbelly?

Thanks,
Bill321

Bill321

2009 Jayco JayFlight G2 23FB
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7V8 4x4 w/tow package
Equal-i-zer and Prodigy

KLO

Southern OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/09 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It really means just what it says. The underside of the TT where the plumbing runs is enclosed and it has heat ducts to keep it from freezing in the winter. IF you use the furnace that is!

goldendagger

moving

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/09 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

usually a piece of duct is left hanging in your tank area...so you will be heating the underside w/propane, some insullation would be nice in this area and not just a plastic or tin covering on the bottom, it is something you should add later if none is there. you can also get heat pads for your tanks but they will suck a bunch of pwr. a major concern if dry camping.

who left the light on? is it me or are we leaning downhill. where did the dog run off to

Deen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/09 12:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our DSDP has a blower that runs when the furnace is running and I have the switch on. It vents out right on the water pump and in the wet bay. Seems to work as I've never had a freezing problem. BUT I usually stick a light bulb with temp sensor plugin in that bay also since I don't run the furnace when winterized.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/09 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It means whatever that manufacturer wants it to mean. There is no industry standard on feature claims.

It could be a fully insulated, separately heated basement. Carriage does this. But they don't call it an "underbelly" they call it a basement.

It could be a sheet of unwoven plastic fabric stretched across the bottom, with bleed air from one of the heat ducts, or simply that heat from the above floor soaks through to the space below (I've seen "heated underbelly" claimed for that situation in a number of low price TTs from major manufacturers).

Or a lot of things in between.

So have the person trying to sell you the RV show you exactly how this space is made to retain heat, if that is important to you.

If winter use is important, what you want is a TT that puts all plumbing inside the heated living environment, or in a heated basement, rather than below the floor in an underbelly. That's fine for 2-3 season use, not for winter.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B
2001 Ranger Edge

handye9

Park City, IL 60085

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/09 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bill321 wrote:

What exactly does it mean when they say a Travel Trailer has a Heated Enclosed Underbelly?

Thanks,
Bill321

More likely than not, it is only an enclosed under belly with heating duct work running through it. It may, or, may not have a duct actually blowing warm air into the belly. Only way to know for sure, is to have the sales person show youw how it is heated. This could involve opening up the belly.

Your profile shows a Colorado location. I would guess the weather gets a bit cold and an enclosed belly with ductwork running through, would provide very little protection. Up to you, how cold you want to trust using it.

My last TT had enclosed/heated belly. It was only ductwork running through. I used the TT (one time) for deer camp in North Dakota. Daytime temps were 30's and 40's with night time temps as low as zero. We were OK until it was time to dump tanks. They were froze.

Current TT has enclosed belly, with ductwork running through, and electric heating pads on tanks, drain lines, and dump valve. In minus 10 degree weather, even this system has had minor problems.

Check out my mods

08 F250 Crewcab,4X4, SB
5.4, 4.10 gears
Flowmaster exhaust, SCT tuner
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS (TT) and 00 Maverick 8801 (TC)
Wife and I
USN MCPO (E9) Retired (active duty 1974 - 1995)

MotherOwl

Northwest Louisiana (ArkLaTex)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/09 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine is as others have described - A switch sends some heat from the furnace into the enclosed underbelly. Quite honestly, I have mixed feelings about the underbelly being enclosed. I live in Louisiana where it rarely stays below freezing for more than a few hours at a time, yet, when work needs to be done in that area, the cover to the underbelly has to be dropped adding to the aggravation and expense. On a recent trip I did something stupid and caused a minor flood inside the trailer. By the time I got home, the weight of the water that had accumulated in the low part of the underbelly had pulled the corrogated plastic material loose on one side of the trailer. I would have had to have taken it down anyway to let the insulation, etc. dry out, but having that area open would have been nice on that particular occasion. At least I could use the heat to make the drying out go faster. Bottom line is that while I see good and bad points to having an enclosed underbelly, living where I do, I would probably prefer not having it. Guess I could have it removed, huh?

* This post was edited 06/19/09 12:18pm by MotherOwl *

Mother Owl
K-Z Frontier 2405
2009 Silverado 1500

scottcougar

Saskatchewan

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/09 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what u mean by bleed air? my back vent has a gap in it. is this done on purpose?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Heated enclosed underbelly?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS