RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Automatic Steps Wont Close for Storage

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Automatic Steps Wont Close for Storage

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
khager76248

Granbury texas, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/09 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, we have a 2008 Georgetown 315DS and we would like for our automatic steps to be closed when we are not using it, but they only remain open. We have tried everything we know of, but as soon as you open the door to leave the MH to steps open and wont close.

We have tried turning them on (where they are suppose to open and close with the door). Turning them off (where they will open with the door and stay open until you turn on the MH to leave). We have tried both ways plus turning off the coach batteries to the coach before opening the door.

We currently have the MH in for some warranty service and at first he said nothing was wrong that that's how they are wired, but then he said they would take a look at it. I have never seen a MH with the steps out at a storage building.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2008 Georgetown 315DS SE

Alan_Hepburn

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/09 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you switching off the batteries? On our Bounder the steps are powered off the chassis battery - if we switch that battery off then the steps won't work. For storage I have to make sure the steps are retracted before I turn off the chassis battery, then it's a long step down to get out of, and back in to, the motorhome.

----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

khager76248

Granbury texas, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/09 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have tried it both ways, but with the door closed and the steps retracted we have turned off the coach batteries, but as soon as you open up the door out comes the steps. They also stay out if you open the door (which brings the steps out) then you get out and reach in to turn off the coach batteries.

The only way I can figure out is if you climb out a window, but who wants to do that.

What I need to know also, are their any MH out there like this that you have to have your steps out while in storage.

MNtundraRet

Bloomington, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/09 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read the directions again for setting up the steps correctly. They are a little confusing and you have to follow the directions extactly for when to turn the door switch on or off. It is not as simple as having the switch on for one method and off for the other. Method 1: steps come out when door openned & retract when door closed. Method 2: Stairs retract when engine is running. Steps come out when door is openned (motor on or off). Stairs stay out if door is closed (motor off). I use the second method because stairs are out for loading the motor-home and battery power is not wasted everytime the door is openned or closed.

Mark

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

JohnandCara2

Evergreen CO.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/09 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Door magnets are not making contact this is the problem. Only other posiabllity would be broken wire to controler under step. John

ernestfortier

Palmdale, Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/09 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a switch by the door that locks the steps out whenever you leave the MH? We have one in our Bounder. If I want the steps to retract when closing the door the switch must be in the correct position.

Ernie Fortier
99 Bounder 34V
2 honda 2K paralled (for economy)
5.5 Onan onboard
96 Geo Tracker 4x4 Auto. convertable

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/09 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. ALL Electric steps have a "last out" feature. That means regardless of where you put the On/OFF switch or the Ignition, when the door is opened, the steps will extend. This is done to keep someone from falling out of the RV if the steps did not extend. The problem you have with your Georgetown is, the battery KILL switch is by the entry door and you MUST open the door to kill the batteries and that makes the steps extend.
2. The ONLY way you can make the steps stay retracted without installing an external extra switch is to close the door and when the steps are retracted, you go underneath the steps and unplug the 4 wire quick connect that supplies power to the steps. You then open the door and kill the batteries. Doug

John339

Clyde Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/09 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I close my screen door. The steps retract.
Then I slide open the small door in the screen door and reach in and turn off the battery switchs.
Can you reach in and do it that way?

John and Cindy and Misty Rain and Senor Paco(Chihuahuas)
1994 Coachmen Catalina 300 MB RD
in sunny Clyde, Calif. KE6IDM

layla

Halfmoon, NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/09 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for this topic. We just put our Damon in storage for the first time and spent 20 minutes in and out trying every combination we could think of. The steps are currently out. We will try the screen door trick and see if that works for us!

khager76248

Granbury texas, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/09 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I close my screen door. The steps retract.
Then I slide open the small door in the screen door and reach in and turn off the battery switchs.
Can you reach in and do it that way?

Answer: I will have to look but I think the contact is on the regular door, not the screen door.
On edit;
Actually it is on the screen door thanks.

* This post was edited 06/16/09 09:45pm by khager76248 *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Automatic Steps Wont Close for Storage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS