|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Happijac lubrication

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/09 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If all that dis-assembly is just to lube the screw drive, why couldn't you put a hole near the bottom of the exterior tube and lube the gear just above the carrier so it carries the lubing up the screw? That way it wouldn't require dis-assembly each time? Would that NOT work?
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/09 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personally like to see the internals now that I have done this. It really does not take very long to do either. Zerking it is not a good idea because the internal tube moves inside the other for one...lube would only be able to get to a very limited part of the mechanism and you would have to pump in a huge amount, A big mess if you ask me...I lubed not just the entire worm gear but the bearing and square plate, where there is no way to get it in there unless you take it apart....sorry.

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/09 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgot to mention that the outer tube does not have a coating inside. But if you need to paint it, now would be the time! Good luck with it you all!

oldwanderer

canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/09 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great job on both the explanation and the pics, THANKS. Just printed off a hard copy of your report and will put it in my manuals binder just in case. I was wondering what type of lube hapijac recommends to use ? I can't tell from pics other than it appears to be a white grease but is it a extreme pressure type or synthetic or ?

Ken
2005 Dodge CTD
1996 bigfoot 30.1011

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/09 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure of the lube type. I just used a little from where the top gears were.

serpa4

East Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/09 10:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The worm is like 4 feet long. A zerk wouldn't get lube up and down the entire gear. Taking them apart really is pretty simple to do every couple years. I did over kill on the worm gear lube, put a ton on it.

Love the camping life. 06 Host Rainier SS, 07 Classic GMC Sierra 3500 DRW.

FarcticOx

NH or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/09 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KKELLER14K,
Thanks for a great post. My jacks are still working well but getting a little noisy and I was planning on investigating such a repair/relube this summer. You've made the task much easier.

Does anybody know if Happijac will sell replacement parts if they are needed?

FarcticOx

Run Silent, Run Deep
BLOG
2003 F350 Diesel DRW.
2005 Arctic Fox B1150 solar powered dry camper.
220 Watts Solar, 2 300AH 6 volt AGMs, Yamaha EF1000iS Generator

Tizi

Normandy Park, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/09 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oldwanderer wrote:

Great job on both the explanation and the pics, THANKS. Just printed off a hard copy of your report and will put it in my manuals binder just in case. I was wondering what type of lube hapijac recommends to use ? I can't tell from pics other than it appears to be a white grease but is it a extreme pressure type or synthetic or ?

Their website says 3 in 1 oil, and nothing about grease from what I read. Are they saying the original grease should last forever?

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RD
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/09 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KKELLER14K, great writeup. About 6 years ago a fella did a write up and linked it to his website.....Dang if the Jack police didn't run him out of town!!!!!!

I've been servicing my jacks in the exact way you did for several years after reviewing and printing out the fellas write up.

Some guys use the blue, water resistant trailer bearing grease. I use the regular Lithium type.

The dis assembly process is a little different for the older non-drop down jacks..

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/09 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tizi wrote:

oldwanderer wrote:

Their website says 3 in 1 oil, and nothing about grease from what I read. Are they saying the original grease should last forever?

Apparently the MFG does think that the grease should last forever.....

My front jacks got noisy and started binding the 2nd year. Oh man was I PiXXed. I have serviced them twice....

Jim

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Happijac lubrication
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS