Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Help with Xantrex Prosine 2.0 panel and troubleshooting

Posted By: michelb on 06/18/09 07:09am

Hi,
I'm hoping someone has a bit more information for me. The rv we bought last used (auction) has a Xantrex Prosine 2.0 but it doesn't appear to work (and didn't have the panel). I removed it from the RV to troubleshoot and currently just have it hooked up directly to a battery and got a panel to get more info. When I power it up, I sometimes get the error msg 'Invert Hi Bat V' which goes away and comes back periodically (I check the battery voltage and it's 12.6v). The rest of the time, the panel shows '-125V +25A' (or something like that - voltage varies between -115 and -135V (always negative, not sure if that makes sense) and am varies between +21 and +28A). It also shows inverter enabled but if I put a load to it, it stays in stand by and 'AC out' stays at 0s across (0V, 0A or whatever it says (forgot to write it down).

Is the negative voltage on the display normal? I really don't know the history of it so can't give you any information there but if you have any suggestions on what I can try, let me know.

Thanks.

Posted By: bananadanna on 06/18/09 07:31am

Just in case you haven't already downloaded them:
prosine manuals

The Xantrex site has a few more troubleshooting guides elsewhere, too.

Posted By: 2oldman on 06/18/09 12:26pm

Well, sounds like you have a real mess there. You didn't say it was hooked to a 120v source, so i can't understand why there would be any + amps. Your - and + readings are exactly backwards for inverting.

Are you sure the 12v polarity is correct? And I would strongly advise downloading the manual as others said. Perhaps your unit needs some sort of factory reset..as also said.

Now.. I've been searching high and low for a panel. Mine takes forever to go into Configure mode. Where did you get one??

Posted By: wa8yxm on 06/18/09 07:52am

First: AC voltage (you said 115 to 135 volts Can NEVER be shown as negative as it's an RMS voltage and the laws of math say it can not be negative. So I don't know if that is a minus sign or a dash without looking at my display

High batt voltage when the batt voltage is normal suggests to me that a device (chip) inside the control module has failed, specifically the chip that compairs two voltages. OR that the voltage reference has failed.

Since I have never peeked "under the hood" of my Prosine 2.0, I am unable to tell you where or exactly what to look for

Suggestion is to mail ti back to Washington (State, not DC) or wherever Xantrex is HQed and let them fix it.

Suggestion 2 is call them and see if they have any ideas. Unlike so many companies these days their customer service techs actually KNOW what the blazes they are talking about.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Posted By: michelb on 06/18/09 01:05pm

Thanks for all the info.

I had looked at the manuals but only glanced at them and didn't see anything obvious. The negative voltage was one thing that really puzzled me so I thought I'd ask the question (since I've never actually seen the panel on a working one (wasn't sure if that's just how it reports it)). (I believe the 'screenshots' of the panel in the manual don't exactly match mine anyway).

First thing I did when I hookup it up to the panel is set it to factory default just in case there was strange settings.

I'm planning on calling Xantrex as well (or finding a local service place) but wasn't sure how helpful they'd be (glad to hear that they are knowledgeable)

Having the 12v wrong is the most obvious thing but I don't think I got that wrong (+ to +, - to -) (although it's possible the previous owner did it wrong once and damaged the unit).

As far as the panel, I picked it up on eBay. They pop up every once in a while.

Posted By: greenrvgreen on 06/18/09 07:46am

For starter's, download the manual from the link provided by Banana.

Once you have the manual, look up the steps for "reloading default". This will take the Prosine back to it's factory settings.

"Invert Hi Bat V" warning is claiming that the input for the battery is over the current setting. I think the default is 16 volts, but your setting may be lower. In any case, it is POSSIBLE that a loose battery connection is causing the voltage to bounce back and forth to 18.

As far as the other readings, the Prosine shows negative AMPS when it is inverting, I've never seen negative voltage.

Posted By: 2oldman on 06/18/09 01:09pm

michelb wrote:

I'm planning on calling Xantrex as well
although it's possible the previous owner did it wrong once and damaged the unit).

As far as the panel, I picked it up on eBay. They pop up every once in a while.
Call them.. yes. They take forever to respond to online requests, if at all.

Reverse polarity (previously) is a major no-no for these units. That could explain what you're seeing.

Ebay.. yeah, I guess I'll have to keep looking. thanks

Posted By: 2oldman on 06/18/09 09:42pm

michelb wrote:

I believe the 'screenshots' of the panel in the manual don't exactly match mine anyway)
Silly question but.. you're sure you have a 2.0 panel?

Posted By: JTee on 06/19/09 12:07am

Went thru the same thing with my Prosine. Turned out it was the microprocessor and couldn't be repaired. Call Xantrex and they will tell if it can be repaired. If memory serves me right, if the serial number has a letter after it, it can be repaired. Ended up buying a refurbished unit on Ebay.

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
2005 Everest 293P
Trailair CenterPoint Suspension

Posted By: JTee on 06/20/09 01:13am

I was surprised it couldn't be repaired too. My take is the older microprocessor chip is no longer available, hence no repair.

Posted By: michelb on 06/19/09 04:59am

No letter after my serial number so I might be out of luck (I'll wait to hear what Xantrex says first).

The panel says Prosine 2.0 so it looks like it's the right one (unless they happen to have different revisions and they aren't all compatible but that's pretty unlikely). And upon further inspection, my read out does look ok. From 'Part 5, screen 1' (page 96 in manual), I get the 2nd display (without temp reading which makes sense since I don't have the temp sensor). (I think the other pictures I saw all had the temp reading which is what made me think I wasn't seeing the same thing). Of course the other big difference with mine is that instead of showing '12.0V +10A', I'm getting '-120V +30A'

Thanks again and I'll let you know what I hear from Xantrex (unfortunately, there was a bit of a crisis at work yesterday so didn't get the time to call)

Posted By: michelb on 06/19/09 11:28pm

JTee wrote:

Went thru the same thing with my Prosine. Turned out it was the microprocessor and couldn't be repaired. Call Xantrex and they will tell if it can be repaired. If memory serves me right, if the serial number has a letter after it, it can be repaired. Ended up buying a refurbished unit on Ebay.

I got the same response (I don't have a letter in my serial number so I was told in can't be repaired). I'm going to contact them again to see if there is anything that can be done (the units are actually pretty modular so I'm very surprised to hear that it just can't be fixed ...). I'll update if / when I get more information.

Print  |  Close