|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Installing Vinyl Insert trim

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
elkhair

Huntington Beach, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/09 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The vinyl insert that covers screws in the track at front of my 5r kept coming out (the trailer is only 3 years old, but I guess the UV works on it) so I cut it off and ordered a roll of white 1" wide vinyl insert trim to replace it.

Of course, the ad for the trim says the usual," Easy to Install." I saw on one ad that you should "just pinch the vinyl trim in the middle & slide it into the track." I tried to do the pinch bit, but I didn't actually start at the very top of the trailer, I just wanted to replace the horizontal piece under the extended front of trailer, then back and down the vertical section. Doesn't happen.

Has anyone replaced this kind of trim? I'd sure appreciate your advice if you have. I will try the "slide it into the track" but am kind of doubtful.......

Thanks,
Bill

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/09 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Needs to be warmed, and try a small bit of lubricant, like soapy water. Generally unless the aluminum part is damaged it will snap in easily.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/09 04:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

Needs to be warmed, and try a small bit of lubricant, like soapy water. Generally unless the aluminum part is damaged it will snap in easily.

I've replaced taken if off to seal the screws and never had to warm it or use any lubricant. I just slip one side in and pushing against the side that is in the other side will slip into the metal molding. I can reinstall a 10' section I would guess in less than 60 seconds.

I'm unclear what the exact issue the OP is having, but I never liked to try and piece sections together since I've had the top piece pop out of the metal molding. It's cheap enough to replace it in continuous sections. At the ends on some installations they like to fold it over and tuck the end under the metal molding. I don't like to disturb the metal molding if at all possible. When replacing at the roof top I like to put a big ball of butyl caulk about 1/2" from the end and push the insert vinyl onto the ball for one seal and then fill the cavity at the end with a good adhesive sealant.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

elkhair

Huntington Beach, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/09 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've replaced taken if off to seal the screws and never had to warm it or use any lubricant. I just slip one side in and pushing against the side that is in the other side will slip into the metal molding. I can reinstall a 10' section I would guess in less than 60 seconds.

Larry, I will agree that, with the vinyl trim that's been in the track for a year or more, you can remove & re-install it like you say. Have you done that with a NEW piece? I can't!
Bill

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/09 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

elkhair wrote:

Larry, I will agree that, with the vinyl trim that's been in the track for a year or more, you can remove & re-install it like you say. Have you done that with a NEW piece? I can't!
Bill

YES, I had my last trailer for 26 years and had to replace that vinyl insert molding about every 10 years since it would harden and eventually crack. I carry a 25 or 50' roll of the new white in the trailer in case I need it. To get it started squeeze like a 6" section in both hands and get that 6" section in the metal molding and then while holding it in with one hand start feeding one side into the metal molding and once you have like 6 to 10 inches in take the other hand that was holding the initial 6" of trim in and start forcing the other edge into the opposite side of the molding and just continue doing that.

Larry

* This post was edited 06/27/09 04:58pm by LarryJM *

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/09 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thought and I have never done it with the vinyl molding but the directions to install the RainKap says to put one side in and then using a screen door rubber installer roll the opposite side into the other side of the metal molding. That RainKap is thick and that is the only way to insert it. You might give the rubber screen door roller for the vinyl insert molding if your having a problem installing it as I described.

Larry

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/09 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been installing the stuff for years just by setting one edge in the track and squeezing the other edge into place. Do not pull on the vinyl as you go, and leave it as loose as you can, especially going around corners. It will shrink over time, and if it's too tight, it will pull out of the track.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Trailer Trash 2

Santa Fe Springs, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/09 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got rid of the vinal and went with the rubber type, I dont know which will last longer, but if it last longer than 4 years I'll do rubber again.

Don & Georgia
AKA: Trailer Trash 2
Real trucks don't have spark plugs.
2009, Dodge, 3500, Q Cab, Cum/Diesel, D.R.W.
Pulling a Super Fine Montana 2980RL

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/09 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trailer Trash 2 wrote:

I got rid of the vinal and went with the rubber type, I dont know which will last longer, but if it last longer than 4 years I'll do rubber again.

Just interested have a link to the rubber type ... hard to imagine something rubber would stay in that metal molding and with the UV issues vinyl can be made somewhat UV resistant, whereas rubber can't. Seems like rubber is a step down from the vinyl stuff so that's why I'm asking and I have never seen rubber insert molding. I must have 100' to 200' of pieces of used and new vinyl insert molding in a plastic grocery sack in the trailer right now. ... I just can't throw out stuff that might be needed, but probably never will

Larry

jberts

St. Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/09 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced the screw cover molding on my 92 Jayco. Must have used 175 feet worth. I thought there would be an easier way, but once I started getting the hang of inserting one side in the track, then squeezing the other part in it was a breeze. I also used the rubber, being it was easier to get into the track. Also made sure to caulk all exposed ends.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Installing Vinyl Insert trim
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS