Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Dually valve stem extenders

Posted By: 1cowboy on 07/03/09 03:51am

Okay, I know this has been discussed before, but please bear with me since the RV service place I've used for years doesn't seem to understand my ??? and problem. Maybe I'm using Swahili. But here it is: I've a 2002 class C on a Ford E450 chasis. Have had braided dually tire extenders. On recent road trip, discovered one inside tire flat. Problem: Leakage apparently due to improperly installed braided extender. Questioning some old timers (translation: more experienced)about this problem I learned many advised against using this type extender.They suggested using METAL stem extenders. In relating my road trip problem and what I learned from others and requested installation of metal extenders, the RV shop owner didn't have a clue what I was talking about! Okay, so who out there can tell me if I'm blathering in Swahili and don't know beans? But more importantly, your views pro/con on using braided extenders. Whew! Thanks for taking time to read this mess.

Posted By: heavyputer on 07/03/09 05:42am

Some folks on here claim to have had excellent service from valve extenders, but, having been in the tire business, I can tell you that the majority of tire air loss and failures with valve extenders have been caused by leakage. Not valve failure, just plain extender leakage. There is no really dependable extender in my humble opinion. Sooner or later they all fail (read leak). The proper way is to have long truck tire metal valve stems installed. End of problem....There are many standard types on the market and even some specially bent for smaller duals. I have seen ad's in Motorhome Mag and Trailer life for specially bent stems for this purpose. Expensive yes, but a lot cheaper than a tire failure in the boonies....works for me.....

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!!!

Posted By: RJsfishin on 07/03/09 06:22am

Have had braid for 15 yrs, never a problem, wouldn't be w/o them.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 400 watt inv, 2 12v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KingDome/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters, and towing a Dodge GCV, or a Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Posted By: RonAllen on 07/03/09 07:02am

I just went through having valve extenders leaking... used them to connect the tire pressure monitors to. Monitors have been removed... valve extenders have been removed, now checking tire pressure the old fashion way with no extenders and no tire pressure monitors installed.
I would like to find the valve stems that fit a 19.5 dually so that I could check the tire pressure without having to get DW to take the caps off... my hands will not fit the space. Ron

Retired USN SMC
2003 Dolphin LX 36' 8.1

Posted By: enblethen on 07/03/09 07:18am

Wheel Maters makes a complete line of rigid valve extentions.
http://www.wheelmasters.com/extenders.html
I had the braided valve extentions from Dicor. They didn't work that great and had flats on the inside duals. Seemed there was enough vibration to cut through the braid and internal line.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

Posted By: DAS26miles on 07/03/09 07:29am

I had rubber valve stems and replaced them with metal ones. Then I tried the metal screw-on valve extensions from CW. They leaked. I am currently using the braided extensions that the MH came with. But will switch to these when I replace my tires nest time. These won't ever leak. Tireman
and Borg Tire Supply

2004 Winnebago Minnie 22E

Posted By: nyjets53 on 07/03/09 02:57pm

Tireman metal value stems...Have had them for over 3 years no problems, work great, my local tire shop put them on...

http://www.ridgenet.net/~tire-man/kit2_instructions.html

mod ed: made link clickable

* This post was edited 07/03/09 05:50pm by an administrator/moderator *

Rich C
2002 Sunseeker 2900 V10
Honda 06 CRV - Sterling All-Terrain
Scangauge II
Wells Cargo 4 x 6 covered

Posted By: Bordercollie on 07/03/09 08:07am

There is an ongoing language problem here. "Extenders" are devices that screw on to stock valve stems and are relatively cheap but subject to leakage causing tire failure. Long custom bent solid metal (brass or steel) valve stems cost around $200 installed on all six wheels including front wheels. They do not leak and make checking and adding air easy. Truck tire shops usually have these and can install them properly. You can also order them and have them installed. Once installed you cannot rotate tires which is not recommended for motorhomes anyway.When people spend 60K for a motorhome, a $200 investment in convenience and safety seems reasonable.

Posted By: Nobuck$ on 07/03/09 08:26am

I use the "Tireman" valve stems, never a problem!

Posted By: joanne0012 on 07/03/09 08:40am

Nobuck$ wrote:

I use the "Tireman" valve stems, never a problem!

And a vote for Borg, here. Their sets are just the 4 for the rear wheels, I paid about $100 and had them installed with new tires. As noted above, you want long stems, NOT "extenders".

Joanne

Posted By: Alf_and_Me on 07/03/09 09:30am

I installed Cat's Eye Pressue Maintenance System to alleviate three problems at once. First, both tires are pressurized from one, easy-to-reach valve and two, pressure is easily checked by looking at the indicator and 3) a check valve keeps both tire evenly pressurized. The system was installed directly onto the original rubber stems and I haven't had any leaks or other problems.

Lee
www.thedigitalphotoguy.com

Posted By: 1cowboy on 07/03/09 11:34am

Yep, you're right. "Extenders" is NOT the right term, nor is it whatI want or meant. My mistake. However, since filing this problem, have finally found a (truck)tire store who knows what I'm talking about: Metal VALVE STEMS. Gonna take the bloody rig to them today & see what they can do. A bit disconcerting that supposed RV "service" people don't seem to have a clue what these (metal valve stems) are nor care to find out. Guess that lack of customer service (especially for long term customers) is why they don't have them any longer. Thanks to all for the input. Hopefully I'll be a happy...and less worried...camper soon!

Posted By: enblethen on 07/03/09 06:52pm

Many of the long metal stem will not fit some RV wheels such as the Ford 16 inch or the GM 19.5. Don't let them drill out the holes or you could be replacing rims.

Posted By: Bordercollie on 07/03/09 06:46pm

1cowboy wrote:

Yep, you're right. "Extenders" is NOT the right term, nor is it whatI want or meant. My mistake. However, since filing this problem, have finally found a (truck)tire store who knows what I'm talking about: Metal VALVE STEMS. Gonna take the bloody rig to them today & see what they can do. A bit disconcerting that supposed RV "service" people don't seem to have a clue what these (metal valve stems) are nor care to find out. Guess that lack of customer service (especially for long term customers) is why they don't have them any longer. Thanks to all for the input. Hopefully I'll be a happy...and less worried...camper soon!

It's a mystery why the chassis manufacturers or RV makers do not outfit them with metal valve stems at the factory. There must be some sort of liability or cost issue coverup that has never been explained.

Posted By: 1cowboy on 07/03/09 07:22pm

Bordercollie: The reason they're not outfitted during manufacturing is simple: Cost prohibitive. Translation: They want to do it like everything else--on the cheap. God forbid a manufacturer actually makes something useful and reliable that makes sense! No wonder the Big 3 are almost gone.

As for potential problem with 16" wheels: Borg makes stems for my E45O Ford chassis with 16" wheels on 8 hole rims. Now if I can only find a tire seller who knows how to install.

Again, thanks to all.

Keep 'em rollin'!

Posted By: klhutch on 07/03/09 11:07pm

Bordercollie wrote:

It's a mystery why the chassis manufacturers or RV makers do not outfit them with metal valve stems at the factory. There must be some sort of liability or cost issue coverup that has never been explained.

I don't know why they are not universal. Our 2009 Coachmen/Workhorse came with metal stems. You would think that liability issues would favor metal stems, not rubber. No doubt metal would cost more, it is just that the extra cost is so small compared to the vehicle cost that it seems like penny-wise, pound-foolish if cost is the driver.

The Coachmen also came with braided extenders. When I checked the tires before our last trip one of them was not even finger tight. I may just pull them off since it is fairly easy to air up with rigid metal stems. If you are going to use the braided extenders it seems wise to check them for tightness frequently.

Ken

Posted By: Bordercollie on 07/04/09 07:32am

It it's merely a cost issue, I'd expect Lazy Daze to include long metal custom bent valve stems on their new rigs. It's gotta be something more goofy like arguments between wheel and tire, chassis RV manufacturers and RVIA, etc.

Posted By: paulin on 07/04/09 12:07pm

Quote:

Now if I can only find a tire seller who knows how to install.

Our local Les Schwabe store installed them on our 19.5" Chevy rims.

Paul & Linda
2007 Jayco Seneca HD 34SS Duramax
2005 Saturn VUE
"Monty", "Maggie" & "Murphy" the mighty Shih Tzus
FMCA #F375077

Posted By: RonAllen on 07/04/09 02:15pm

paulin wrote:

Quote:

Now if I can only find a tire seller who knows how to install.

Our local Les Schwabe store installed them on our 19.5" Chevy rims.

What about Florida? Ron

Posted By: Westronics on 07/04/09 08:32pm

Mine (from Tireman) came with very nice instructions. My local tire shop (Les Schwab) put them on at no extra charge when changing my tires.

2002 Jayco Greyhawk 24SS, Camera, ScanGauge, Inverter, Airtabs, Portabote, SeeLevel II, Tireman valves, Xatnrex Battery Monitor, Aero-flo vent, Trik-L-Start, XPS Rib, Chains, Lil' Stanker, Be kind to septic systems Ford: 1-800-444-3311. RV Tires

Posted By: Tireman9 on 07/04/09 09:43pm

I will try and comment on a number of items that have been brought up. In no particular order....

Leaks can come from a number of sources involving the valve system. Most come from old rubber seals that were not replaced when they get to be about 7 - 8 years old. Whenever you replace tires be sure to spend the few $ to replace the rubber grommets and O-Rings. You normally do not have to buy new metal valves unless they have been damaged. Most grommets and O-Rings can be purchased from any large tire supply company. I have delt with www.myerstiresupply.com for decades.

Personally I have and continue to use braded metal hose on my Class-C. Braded hoses do need to be properly retained. I do believe that properly bent metal valves will work well on Class-A units.

Tire Pressure Monitor Systems are the only way to know if you develop a leak while driving. You only need to pick up a nail as you pull out of your campground and your check that morning is no longer valid. I run a TPMS.

I looked at the TIREMAN kit and it looks like they have done the research needed so you don't have to decide which valves to buy and how much to bend them. My handle is Tireman9 but I have no connection with the company.

If I were not running a TPMS, I am not sure if I would want to have both tires air chamber's connected. If one were to get a nail then you would loose both at the same time.

You should never need to drill out the valve hole in your wheels. In every case I can find that there is a bendable long stem valve that will fit the standard valve holes. If someone tells you he needs to drill your wheels go elseware. Valve holes are industry standards.

Rubber body valves as we had in the past on passenger cars are rated at 65 psi MAX so with very few exceptions they should not be used on any Class-A or any Class-C built on a "1-Ton" chassis intended to run 65 or higher inflation. Bolt in metal valves are generally rated at 200 PSI Max.

I have access to Industry Standards books and have 39 years experience as a tire design and quality engineer. I have been driving 1-Ton chassis vehicles in personal use since 1979. My current RV is a Coachmen Freelander Class-C. I am giving a seminar on Tire Basics at the FMCA Convention at Bowling Green in a couple weeks. Stop in and say Hi if you are going.

40 years experience as tire Design & Quality engineer with focus on failed tire forensics.

Google "Tireman9" if you want to learn more on RV Tire Safety

Posted By: Gene in NE on 07/05/09 06:24pm

Bordercollie wrote:

It it's merely a cost issue, I'd expect Lazy Daze to include long metal custom bent valve stems on their new rigs. It's gotta be something more goofy like arguments between wheel and tire, chassis RV manufacturers and RVIA, etc.
I totally agree. The car and truck tire store I used, charged me $1.98 for each metal stem. They were available with different degree of bend (long or short, 45, 90, 180 etc). They used the box end of a combination wrench to make finally tweaking of the bend. They only charged $9.95 per tire to break the bead and install the new stems. I agree there has to be more than cost involved.

2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Posted By: Dakzuki on 07/05/09 08:12pm

My RV has metal stems with extender hoses on it since new (I presume). I had one start leaking last year. I caught it befor it caused any issues. It leaked at the swage when I put side pressure on it. I quickly removed it and did my last trip of the year minus one extender. Over the winter I lost air in another rear tire (in storage). Another extender failed. When I was troubleshooting the issue I noticed another leaking with side pressure to the hose. I presume the extenders at 14 years old had enough and gave up the ghost. The have all since been removed and I have the Wheelmasters short solid extenders on now on top of the metal stems. They seem to be doing OK.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Posted By: j-d on 07/05/09 10:13pm

Are the "Wheelmasters short solid extenders" you mentioned airless or do they contain air pressure all the time?

If God's your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Posted By: Tireman9 on 07/06/09 10:31am

Dakzuki wrote:

My RV has metal stems with extender hoses on it since new (I presume). I had one start leaking last year. I caught it befor it caused any issues. It leaked at the swage when I put side pressure on it. I quickly removed it and did my last trip of the year minus one extender. Over the winter I lost air in another rear tire (in storage). Another extender failed. When I was troubleshooting the issue I noticed another leaking with side pressure to the hose. I presume the extenders at 14 years old had enough and gave up the ghost. The have all since been removed and I have the Wheelmasters short solid extenders on now on top of the metal stems. They seem to be doing OK.

Don't forget there are rubber seals in these hoses. Just as your tires should be replaced at about 7 years of age so should the extender hoses or any rubber seals on your valve stems.

Print  |  Close