|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> King Mattress

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Laura27

All over

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/09 12:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey everyone, new to the site. Anyways, we have an 08 Cardinal and it has a "king" bed. We've had our trailer for about a year now and decided it was time to get a new mattress. After measuring our mattress and checking a furniture store we quickly learned our "king" is not exactly a king. Our mattress is 72x78 and a standard king is 76 inches wide. There is no way we can squeeze that into our slide. I was just wondering where a good place would be to get a custom mattress. I checked camping world and they have a select comfort that would fit but we were really wanting an innerspring....and not really wanting to spend 1700! Found a few other places online but it seems all they do is the memory foam type mattress. Has anyone else ran into this problem? I'm trying to figure out something quick because the dinky mattress that came with it is causing us both to have neck and back pains and you can hear the springs popping. There's just too much info to sort through so I was hoping to get some good recommendations. Thanks in advance!

Laura and Shawn
07 Chevy Duramax 4x4
08 Cardinal 30MK
04 Chrysler Sebring =(

tvman44

Southwest Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/09 01:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look in your phone book for a local mattress builder.

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/09 05:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you thought about trying a mattress topper? We purchased a 3" thick memory foam mattress topper at our local Sams Club. It's the difference between day and night(pun intended). Quiet a few in here have went that route. It works great, if need be, you can "trim to fit". Our's is very comfortable, sleep like a baby. Can't tell when one is getting in or out of the bed. I would highly recommend this alternative. Cost on ours was $139. Just another alternative to think about.

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/09 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote here for the memory foam. We just went with the 2" but it made a world of difference! I actually sleep better in the camper now than at home.

jetboat

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/09 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

get the topper!jcpenney has the one you need,plus its much lighter than a new bed.

thomasmnile

Deltona, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/09 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Laura27 wrote:

Hey everyone, new to the site. Anyways, we have an 08 Cardinal and it has a "king" bed. We've had our trailer for about a year now and decided it was time to get a new mattress. After measuring our mattress and checking a furniture store we quickly learned our "king" is not exactly a king. Our mattress is 72x78 and a standard king is 76 inches wide. There is no way we can squeeze that into our slide. I was just wondering where a good place would be to get a custom mattress. I checked camping world and they have a select comfort that would fit but we were really wanting an innerspring....and not really wanting to spend 1700! Found a few other places online but it seems all they do is the memory foam type mattress. Has anyone else ran into this problem? I'm trying to figure out something quick because the dinky mattress that came with it is causing us both to have neck and back pains and you can hear the springs popping. There's just too much info to sort through so I was hoping to get some good recommendations. Thanks in advance!

If you want to replace your mattress, and if they are in your area, I would contact The Original Mattress Factory. They do custom mattresses for RV's. Very good quality and very reasonably priced. I have an orthopedic king pillowtop in our home, best mattress we've ever owned($929 2 years ago, and that included a split box foundation, which of course, you wouldn't need).

Cruzette

Santa Cruz, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/09 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for memory foam, it made a big difference in our previous 5er queen bed. Give it a try before you invest in an expensive custom made mattress.

I also covered the foam topper and mattress with a padded mattress pad, got one that fit a deep pocket mattress because the 3" foam topper made it too tall for a regular mattress cover. You'll have some material left over to tuck under the mattress.

Don't get a feather down topper. The feathers flatten out once you lay down on the bed and don't give you any support.

I bought my 3" foam topper and mattress pad cover on-line at Overstock.com got a great price!

We recently bought a new Cedar Creek 5th wheel that came with a king size bed. It has a pillow top on the mattress. What a difference that made, no need for a memory foam topper on this bed!

BTW - Cardinal & Cedar Creek are both made by Forest River. You might be able to order an RV pillow top King mattress from a Cardinal or Cedar Creek dealer.

FYI - you will find that most RV's come with a custom RV Queen or King mattress that is a little shorter then what you would find in a regular mattress store.

If you still want a custom mattress, call around to some of your mattress stores locally and see if they can recommend anyone.

Good luck!

It doesn't matter where you go in life.........it's who you have beside you

Judy and DH Ray
Boomer & Petie Pie
2004 Country Coach 40' Inspire "Da Vinci"

heitjer

Houston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/09 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I typically don't make recommendations for dealers but I am happy to recommend this one. We have a "RV" Queen size bed and were struggeling to find a good memory foam mattress. So we bought ours at Bed-in-a-box.

http://www.bedinabox.com/

Since then we have also purchased one for our daughter for the home.

Great experience and fast shipping.

B L O G

* This post was edited 07/11/09 11:29am by heitjer *

"...we're on the road again..." MODS & More
2007 Dodge 2500 Megacab Laramie, 6.7L Cummins, 6 Speed Auto, Exhaust Break
2006 Sunset Creek 298BH by SunnyBrook, 33 1/2 ft

stripit

Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/09 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

heitjer wrote:

I typically don't make recommendations for dealers but I am happy to recommend this one. We have a "RV" Queen size bed and were struggeling to find a good memory foam mattress. So we bought ours at Bed-in-a-box.

http://www.bedinabox.com/

Since then we have also purchased one for our daughter for the home.

Great experience and fast shipping.

B L O G

We second this, as we purchased from Bed In a Box too and just love it. They cut ours to our specs and it is awesome..

Stacey Frank
'04 Mobile Suites 36 TK3 #1341
'99 Int'l 4700 Lo Pro MDT
'08 Lexus 400H

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/09 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought "Bedinabox" and really like it. Also the best price we could find. Free shipping and you have a trial period. Don't like it, ship it back.

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> King Mattress
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts