|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Best Tow Bar

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Not a Clue

Southern Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/09 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that
Demco (I have and like)
Blue Ox & Roadmaster all make a tow bar (stays on motorhome) that
has the telescoping bars that allows hooking and unhooking in unlevel
conditions.
I think at the time the shop that installed mine had Blue Ox and Demco.
Demco was $100.00 cheaper so I went with the Demco.

The installer indicated they both worked the same.

Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/09 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wally&TheBeave wrote:

Hi All,Thanks for all of the input. FYI there was a question earlier does anyone run with a Blue Ox? There online advertisement looks good but how easy do they release?Thanks again for all of the input.David

Here is what Road master claims. When I was asking for help on what tow bar many posted that they had the road master and they could release it at all angles.
"tow bar is at a hard angle, or the towed vehicle is out of level. No other tow bar makes towing this simple!"
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/towbars/index.html
After listening to Road Master users I think this may be a better bet for a tow bar regarding ease of releasing.

The dealership that was near where I bought my toad and had it delivered to did not carry the Road Master so I had a Blue Ox installed. IMHO it does not release easily in all situations. Many swear by Blue Ox but for me when I come off the road after driving for hours the last think I want to do is fight getting the tow bar off.
The other thing is unlocking the the tow bar from its stored position everything on the Blue Ox has nylon washers when from the factory are cranked down so hard that it takes months of use for them to loosen up.

My big issue is more a dealership installation rather than design but I have a spare tire mounted in the middle of the back of the MH.
The dealership moved it over to the right for the tow bar to come up to its stored position. At the time I thought nothing of it.

That is until I had to bring the tow bar 'out' of the stored position. It will NOT come out unless you are able to swing it to the right past the opening and back again. The spare tire 'prevents' this.
I now have to carry a crow bar to move it out of its upright position by inching the nut and washer.

So beware that your spare tire position may have effect on how the tow bar you purchase is stored/released when not in use.

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

ShapeShifter

Buffalo, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/09 01:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wally&TheBeave wrote:

and a tow bar that allows for backing would be fantastic.

I don't think any tow bar manufacturer recommends backing up with their tow bar. Doing so can put a lot of side strain on the towing equipment. There are some owners that say they can do it for short straight distances, and there are some owners who have bent their bars trying to do it. It can be a risky process, and is hotly debated.

There are pros and cons to any model. They all appear to work, you just have to decide which features are important to you and which aren't.

I have a RoadMaster BlackHawk 2 (10,000 lb rating) and am quite pleased with it. It would be nice if it had the rubber boot that protects the sliding portion of the arm like some models have. But in it's favor it has built in wire and safety cable channels which give it a clean look with no tangles, and it has large release levers that have yet to bind up on me. It folds and unfolds easily, and hasn't given me any trouble yet. (I've had it for a bit over a year now and about 7,000 miles of towing.)

Look at a few different models, operate them on their displays, and see what you like better. Just be aware that all of them will release easily while on the display and not under tension. The best advice I have to offer is get one that has long lever arms on the latches -- something with a small release button to press can be difficult to operate when under tension.

2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ LE
400 ISL Cummins/Allison
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 toad

Inside: Him, Her, and a pack of little furballs...

TexasH

Katy, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/09 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been using Blue Ox Aventa II for six years. Easy hookup and unhook-even DW can unhook it and all the cables in 3-5 minutes while I take the auxillary brake out and get the transfer case back in gear. And the "pegs" that you hook the towbar to are easy to remove from the base plate and you can hardly tell there's a hookup on the dingy. BTW, the Aventa II has 10,000 lb capacity

2002 Southwind 37U Ford F53 - V10
2007 Jeep Liberty Toad

TexasH

Katy, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/09 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been using Blue Ox Aventa II for six years. Easy hookup and unhook-even DW can unhook it and all the cables in 3-5 minutes while I take the auxillary brake out and get the transfer case back in gear. And the "pegs" that you hook the towbar to are easy to remove from the base plate and you can hardly tell there's a hookup on the dingy. BTW, the Aventa II has 10,000 lb capacity

TexasH

Katy, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/09 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TexasH

Katy, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/09 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, I'm not sure how I managed to post that three times!! My computer glitched and then I saw it three times!!!

doghouse_owner

Seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/09 11:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been using the Ready Brake towbar with built-in supplemental brake for about 2 weeks after NO prior experience ever before using a tow bar. I park my B on the street in front of my house on about a 5-7 degree slope and have had no difficulties at all hooking up or disconnecting my towbar from my Blue Ox baseplate on my Fit. A very simple easy system. Towbar weighs about 45#s and is rated for 8000#s.

More info on my setup here

* This post was edited 07/16/09 10:45pm by doghouse_owner *

Wendy
Owned and trained by Cocoa, Mikey and the Ollie-man - all with great recalls

2008 Roadtrek RS Adventurous - recall x 3
2009 Honda Sport Fit - no recall
Stowaway2 on swingaway tow frame - no recall
2002 Honda Odyssey EXL - now with a recall!

Deen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/09 12:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wally&TheBeave wrote:

I will be buying a new tow bar for the first time in six years.
Why? Just get the one you have rebuilt and keep going. RoadMaster will rebuild it for you at little or no cost. We used a Sterling when we had a vechicle we could tow four down. Still have it in fact, someday I'll drop by the factory (it's here in town) and have it looked over.

Only one towbar that I know of that allows backing and it was hideous looking and expensive. Think it's out of production now anyway.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/09 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any solid A-frame towbar can handle backing, without damage to the towbar, and they are cheap. But the steering of the car still has problems with backing.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B
2001 Ranger Edge

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Best Tow Bar
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts