Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Jayco Greyhawk 31FS troubles

Posted By: ftonne on 07/12/09 09:49pm

.Took delivery of our new 2009 Greyhawk 31FS June 15th and here are some problems and observations encouuntered on our trip out west so far, maybe some other owners have had similar problems?

1. AC went out after 2 days on trip, took to authorized road assistance dealer who said it was afaulty wire on circuit board, replaced and tested. Left to continue trip and AC went out again, won't work on generator this time.

2. Electric steps stopped working for first few days sometimes only extending half way. Working for now.

3. When you turn on exhaust fan in bathroom you get sewer smell.

4. Bottom of large drawer fell out only small staples holding it on andvery lottle weight in iy. Hinges on other doors loose.

5. Ford V10 E450. Maybe it's me but seems to have hard time holding speed even on low grade hill keeps jumping to lower gear at 3600 rpm, even jumped to 4800 rpm on 3-4 grade. Not towing now, but read about others towing and I can't imagine trying to maintain a regular speed without always being in lower gears even on a slight incline. Is this normal Are class c diesels that much better?

6. Front roof air vent rattled so bad had to have a Max Air cover installed to solve the problem.

7. Dinette window creaks, rattles and groans load at slightest bump or uneven turn.

Bought the Jayco because of reputation.

Anybody have any similar problems and solutions? I know the dealer will eventually sort them out I hope........

Thanks.

* This post was last edited 07/12/09 10:43pm by ftonne *

Posted By: FlashG on 07/12/09 11:41pm

We also have a 2009 Greyhawk and our has been nearly trouble free.

Jayco does need to change the front roof vent. Or include a cover as standard equipment.

The table will stop creaking if you lower the table one notch.

The bathroom exhaust fan is powerful and will pull smells from the toilet.

The steps may have loose ground wire. We had a loose ground near the steps but not effecting the step but the interior lights.

Our Ford chassis is awesome. I am able to fly over mountain passes and no down shifting necessary with the tow-haul mode.

ftonne wrote:

.Took delivery of our new 2009 Greyhawk 31FS June 15th and here are some problems and observations encouuntered on our trip out west so far, maybe some other owners have had similar problems?

1. AC went out after 2 days on trip, took to authorized road assistance dealer who said it was afaulty wire on circuit board, replaced and tested. Left to continue trip and AC went out again, won't work on generator this time.

2. Electric steps stopped working for first few days sometimes only extending half way. Working for now.

4. Bottom of large drawer fell out only small staples holding it on andvery lottle weight in iy. Hinges on other doors loose.

5. Ford V10 E450. Maybe it's me but seems to have hard time holding speed even on low grade hill keeps jumping to lower gear at 3600 rpm, even jumped to 4800 rpm on 3-4 grade. Not towing now, but read about others towing and I can't imagine trying to maintain a regular speed without always being in lower gears even on a slight incline. Is this normal Are class c diesels that much better?

6. Front roof air vent rattled so bad had to have a Max Air cover installed to solve the problem.

7. Dinette window creaks, rattles and groans load at slightest bump or uneven turn.

Anybody have any similar problems and solutions? I know the dealer will eventually sort them out I hope........

Thanks.

2012 Ford F350 Lariat Diesel Crew 4X4
Monaco Knight 38pst
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Dinghy

Posted By: tracyb-oh on 07/13/09 08:59pm

In regards to #4, we went on our first trip in our Jayco Designer C and when we got home my husband spent an afternoon rebuilding the supports,drawer glides and drawer bottoms in the pantry area.
As for #3 we changed the top of the stack roof vent and that problem went away.

Tracy and T
Jayco 2001 Class C 3150J Designer
2007 Honda CRV
"The Girls" Honey and Crystal our dachshunds

Posted By: Kamphiker on 07/13/09 05:11am

Is the front Air Vent a Fantastic Air Vent ?
Mine started rattling AFTER I put the Maxx Air COVER on. After checking out the cause I realized that the Fantastic vent uses a SIDE lever attached to the vent lid to raise and lower the vent lid. The opposite side of the lid has very low clamping force when closed. The Maxx Air COVER caused a negative pressure while rolling down the road, This causes the weak side of the Fantastic Fan Lid to rattle. Driving me nuts!

A fix is on my short list of things to do before we leave in 12 days for vacation.

2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

Posted By: super_camper on 07/13/09 03:34pm

ftonne wrote:

It's always interesting how one buyer can have a list of problems related to build quality and yet another buyer of the same motorhome seems to have such a great experience. I think we all perceive things differently so trouble free to one person is not necessarily trouble free to the next.

We have had a great experience with our Jayco but have experienced some of the problems in your list

1&2 sound like appliance related issues - I think this is hit and miss with any manfacturer as they all use the same suppliers

3. we had a similar problem but it only occured once - we have not been able to reproduce so I figured it must have been due to unique wind /environment conditions where we were parked.

4. We had a problem with the big drawer under the couch and the drawers in the pantry, all needed a little reinforcement to handle real world weight conditions - I did it myself in a couple of hours. I doubt there is a single Jayco owner that hasn't had this problem - the drawer slides are just not strong enough with the plastic mounts and staples

5. we have no complaints with the Ford V10, not a single problem at all

6. the front roof vent is cheaply made and rattles in the wind - I usually have it closed when traveling and haven't done anything to it yet

7. I had the same problem - for me it was not the table but the actual window frame. Turns out it was the aluminum trim on the inside rubbing against the vinyl frame - I removed the screws and applied a strip of cloth tape to the frame and put the screws back in. Solved the problem permanently and took about an hour - this one really bugged me as it was very annoying

Posted By: kutarheel on 07/14/09 01:38pm

We took delivery on a 2009 Greyhawk 31SS on 4/26/09. On the way home, the steps stopped retracting. We called Coachnet who walked us through removing the pin so we could manually push the steps in and bungee-cord them closed.

We returned to the dealer on 5/18/09 to have the stairs fixed plus the following:

1. Right cupboard door below sink wasn't fitting flush with frame.

2. Day/night shades behind couch were not level.

3. Screen door was binding at the bottom and not closing all the way.

4. The driver's side map lamp didn't work. Broken wire found.

5. The water pump light in the bathroom stayed on all the time except when the battery was disconnected. Found outside wires at connection were touching.

6. Cab roof vent rattling. Still not fixed...finally we duct taped it closed.

On May 1 the air conditioner quit working! Returned again to the dealer who diagnosed a defective part that had ruined the whole unit so a new one was ordered and installed.

The V-10 does sound noisy to us, but has performed well. We are leaving soon to attend the FMCA International Rally in Bowling Green and the on to Michigan. The whole trip will be over 2000 miles so who knows what additional issues we may find.

Some of the items we mentioned above may seem a little picky, but we figure if we spend this much money, it should be right. We picked Jayco after much research and we also had a used '92 class C that was still running and looking great when we sold it. Just wanted something bigger with a slide.

Posted By: FlashG on 08/18/09 12:43pm

ftonne wrote:

After logging in over 5000 miles since we purchased the Jayco, I had the Ford dealer look at the chassis sway problem and power.

They found the electronic timing , etc was off so now I have much much more power on grades. The power is great.

As for the chassis the dealer reffered it back to Jayco since it was modified. So that quest continues.

Most others are small and I have fixed them myself.

Thanks.

GREAT NEWS ! ! about the power

Posted By: Raymon on 08/18/09 03:05pm

In my opinion, Jayco will do nothing regarding your sway problem. I just recently posted regarding installing a rear trac bar and new Bilstien shocks on my 3100SS and the improvement they made.

Posted By: Riplin on 03/14/10 10:27am

We picked up our 31FS yesterday and we already have our first warrenty claim. We spent about 3 hrs going thru everything and found the dvd player in the top bunk wont play a dvd. Infact it wont even eject the dvd that we tried to play. Anyone else have this issue?

Posted By: Riplin on 03/25/10 07:23pm

Does anyone have any heat issues? The bedroom and bunks get all the heat while the rest of the motorhome is very cool. Anyone else have this problem?

Posted By: ipen on 03/26/10 11:57am

that is very annoying we have the same problem anybody now any fixes???

2009 jayco 31fs with front ent. center, bilstein shocks, 1 1/2 inch sway bars, with 2001 jeep cherokee in tow and unified tow brake system

Posted By: ipen on 03/14/10 06:41pm

ours had a rubber roof coming off about the first 6 feet of the motorhome was not glued properly. we also had a/c problems but those are fixed now. we put vent covers on all our vents. we are still noticing some noise from the roof which is the tv antenna tapping on top of the roof...

Posted By: ftonne on 08/18/09 10:31am

After logging in over 5000 miles since we purchased the Jayco, I had the Ford dealer look at the chassis sway problem and power.

They found the electronic timing , etc was off so now I have much much more power on grades. The power is great.

As for the chassis the dealer reffered it back to Jayco since it was modified. So that quest continues.

Most others are small and I have fixed them myself.

Thanks.

Posted By: cccougar on 03/14/10 06:38pm

I just picked up 28QB leftover 2009 Jayco and took it out on the highway today and found that the window was whistling to the point like a mouse was squeeking (sp). I have a problem with the standard radio- volume does not adjust properly- I'll turn it up and the volume will stay put or move down. The propane tank's on/off knob does not move at all- I know its on b/c the furnace turns on and works ok. I am taking it back to the dealer where I bought it so I guess I'll see what type of service they provide.

Posted By: 4Eddielee on 03/26/10 01:13pm

Just found this thread, thought I would throw in my comments. I bought a 1999 Jayco Designer in early 2000. My list of factory defects have run to three pages single space. They refused to honor their warranty. I've been working on each of the problems over the years. I still own the rig and have been upgrading it to the MotorHome it should have come from the factory as. Jayco, in my opinion, is no better and no worse that any of the other builders. But, I personally don't think they deserve the reputation they have. I also bought because of that reputation. But, since I'll keep this one until I die, there is no reason to find a replacement.

Posted By: egrove on 05/27/10 07:25pm

We have a 2009 Greyhawk as well. Have the same rattling front vent, not a big deal to us. Our big drawer gave out as well, I glued it back together and put some nails in it and it's fine now. Try using tow/haul mode on the hills, it might help. I had to reinforce the shower pan, it was really soft in the back toward the drain. And the one slide doesn't kick off when it's open, it keeps pushing to the point that it bows out the wall. Just have to let off the button when it gets to that point. And we've had numerous water leaks, but that seems to be a Jayco trademark. We had a Jayco travel trailer that was the same way. They never tighten the water fittings enough and they work loose and leak. I've tightened them all now, and we have no more leaks. Other than those things, the unit has been great. It really pays to be handy with things.

Eric Grove
Dallastown, PA
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31GS

View an online map showing campgrounds in the US

Add a Visited States Map to your signature

Posted By: jbbrick on 03/27/10 11:40pm

I don't think anyone can buy any motorhome/trailer without having some knowledge of how things work, and you must be somewhat handy in fixing things otherwise you'll have it in the shop all the time for minor repairs. Rattles, broken drawers, etc are all part of driving your house down the road at 60mph. Our drawer slide brackets also broke-I just bought all new ones at CW and installed them with better screws instead of staples. The sewer smell you are getting is because your vents are prob closed while the fan is on, or else just crack the door open a bit more when the fan is on. A vacuum has to suck from somewhere! Our Greyhawk has had a few problems, no more than any other rv we've had in the past, and I really like the V10 power and handling. Wish it got more than 9mpg, but thats the name of the game.

'02 Winnie Adventurer 32V
2010 Ford Escape toad

Posted By: j-d on 03/26/10 01:32pm

cccougar, The LP tank valve should be "seated" when turned OFF, but it should also be "backseated" when turned ON. I mention this because it's possible somebody backseated it too hard in the ON position. Just snug in either seating is OK, doesn't need to be socked down hard.

God Bless, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100

Posted By: j-d on 05/25/10 10:32am

Shower (or tub), kitchen sink and bathroom vanity sink all have traps in the drain lines, like the same items at home. Difference is, home doesn't get driven, doesn't sit for a month or more unused. We don't use the coach shower at a campground unless it's full hookup. Instead we use the campground shower so we don't max out the gray tank. That means the trap under our shower pan drain gets dry. That makes it a vent to the gray tank and all it needs is a vacuum to pull tank odor into the coach. About a cup of water poured into the shower drain solves the problem.

Posted By: GrumpyandGrandma on 03/26/10 05:44pm

4Eddielee wrote:

They refused to honor their warranty. I've been working on each of the problems over the years.

That statement has me scratching my head. Not that it didn't happen to you, but I know quite a few people who have had work done on their units, covered by Jayco, out of warranty. I think a lot has to do with the dealer.. They don't get aggressive enough and I personally think some don't want the "warranty reduced" payment.

They actually covered a roof leak repair for me almost 2 years after the warranty was up on our 2001 Designer. As to our current unit there is a small defect in the linoleum (small piece of debris under it) that Jayco said they would cover if it got to be a problem later on down the line. Trying to fix it now would have messed up the integrity of the flooring (something I didn't want).

So as was stated in another post there is a wide variation in how we all perceive the handling of our individual problems.

Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

Posted By: ejm4 on 05/25/10 08:43am

My wife & I are considering the Greyhawk 31FS. Does anyone have any problems with keeping the unit cool in hot summer temps?

Earl
2013 Berkshire 390BH ~ 360hp

Posted By: Mike& Rose on 03/27/10 06:09am

The subwoofer on my surround sound was not functioning properly (static and occasional crackling sound). The dealership replaced the system with a new Sony system which works great. A heating pad came loose on my holding tank and one of the kitchen drawer's bottom came loose like you described in #4. All was fixed by the dealership. We had 3 maxxair vent put on when we purchased the RV, so have not had any issues with rattling noise as you described. Almost 7000 miles and still happy with our Jayco.

See you on the road!

Posted By: ron.dittmer on 05/25/10 09:11am

ejm4 wrote:

My wife & I are considering the Greyhawk 31FS. Does anyone have any problems with keeping the unit cool in hot summer temps?
My dealer convinced us to order our Phoenix Cruiser with thermal pane windows. Wow, to think I almost blew it to save a little money. They are absolutely worth the investment for stable inside temps, a quiet ride, and quiet when parked. Maybe Jayco offers them too.

For reference, our window brand is Hurd.

Adding: We also appreciate the thermal windows at night when camping at high altitude where it can get pretty cold, even during the summer. Our old RV had cold from the single pain windows radiate down on our heads at night, but the thermal pains eliminate all that. The furnace runs so little too. We don't have any slide-outs which further helps maintain temperature. Our RV is like sleeping in a Thermos bottle compared to our old RV.

* This post was edited 05/25/10 09:27am by ron.dittmer *

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Posted By: ron.dittmer on 05/25/10 09:21am

ftonne wrote:

1. AC went out again, won't work on generator this time.

Check the generator to see if the circuit breaker on it has tripped.

It sounds like you don't have water in all the traps. Make sure the shower pan and all sinks have water in their traps.

5. Ford V10 E450. Maybe it's me but seems to have hard time holding speed even on low grade hill keeps jumping to lower gear at 3600 rpm, even jumped to 4800 rpm on 3-4 grade. Not towing now, but read about others towing and I can't imagine trying to maintain a regular speed without always being in lower gears even on a slight incline. Is this normal?

Yes it is normal, but in a good way. Just get used to it and you will eventually like it.

I wish I could support your comment on a "positive Jayco reputation". It seems there are numerous complaints from Jayco owners like yourself. Hopefully you can resolve the issues one-by-one quickly, and enjoy your new motor home. It seems everything you mentioned is small stuff that can have resolution without a lot of pain.

Posted By: ipen on 05/26/10 08:01pm

no problems keeping our jayco cool. but when running the heater the bathroom gets so hot it's almost unbearable... :-)

Posted By: ipen on 05/27/10 07:07pm

you are absolutely right, different m/h manufacturers use the some of the same equipment. also remember it's a house in a constant state of earthquake as its moving.

Posted By: mikeak on 05/25/10 11:47am

Thanks for clarifying -- good to know

Posted By: mikeak on 05/25/10 10:11am

It sounds like you don't have water in all the traps. Make sure the shower pan and all sinks have water in their traps.

Do you mind elaborating on this one? As in water left in the sinks or what do you mean with the traps?

Thanks!

Posted By: traccan555 on 05/26/10 09:54pm

I'm new to all this, but for those of you who have had issues with electronic equipment like DVD players, radio, TV, refrigerators, etc. wouldn't it be better to go directly to the warranty that comes from the manufacturer of these components to get the problem fixed than to go to the coach dealer/manufacturer? Sony, Norcold, etc? It just seems that it would eliminate several steps in the process... it also seems a bit unfair to blame Jayco for a malfunctioning DVD system unless the issue is specifically an installation one. Otherwise, the owness would be on Sony or whoever the DVD manufacturer is.

Print  |  Close