|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> New and Improved Border FAQ's

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
awfulart

Rio Rico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/10 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have not returned to Baja since Jan of 09 but hope to soon.

Wondering how one returns their FMT when crossing into california at the Tijuana crossing. It is such a zoo going north and we are pulling a 28 ft trailer?

Art & Alice - Rio Rico AZ

Turtle-Toad

Wherever I park (orig Kingston, WA. USA)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/10 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hate to admit this, but I have absolutely no idea. I haven't used the TJ border crossing since 1971, so my knowledge of this crossing is a little dated. Anyone out there know how to do it???

At the Tecate border you can circle back towards the border crossing for entering Mexico, then pull off the road or into the pay parking lot on the US side, just before the border. Then it's just a matter of walking back across and into the Migracion office to turn in your FMM. I think that everyone has to turn their FMM in person, but don't know that for sure. They don't know where you're parked and could care less.

This is a problem at a lot of the crossings, not only in Baja but the mainland too. I may have to add the info for each individual crossing on this thread.

To that end, if anyone has any recommendations on how to turn in your FMM at the ones that are not so obvious, please post them or send me a PM.

Turtle & Toad, On the Road
37' Georgetown XL w/3 slides, 1 1/2 bath, & 595 watts of solar power
06 Taco TRD (for "Off the Road")
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here
Only States/Provinces that I have spent at least a week in are shown

travelwrytr

North America

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/10 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle-Toad, Thanks for taking the time to provide detailed information and subsequent questions. I think my situation was covered in a previous post - I'll quote your answer below my question.

I have a class B with 10 yr permit. Would like to leave the Class B home and drive over in another vehicle. It sounds like this will not be possible as I've never had this vehicle in Mexico.

So the only option for me would be to: sell the Class B and have the 10 yr permit cancelled by mailing the info to Mexico City? Any idea how much lead time I would need on that so I can get a 6-month TIP at the border on the way in?

And if I prefer to just store the class B for this winter, then I don't have an option for driving across?

Thanks in advance!

Quote from previous post:

a) is out, you probably will not be able to get another 6 month TIP (or quite possibly, a FMM) if the RV TIP is still in effect. A lot of this depends on the car you are driving, if it's the same one that you had when you got the RV TIP, you're probably OK. But only because they will think the RV is still in Mexico. But if it's a different car, you probably won't be able to get the TIP. It's already happened to one member of this forum. Also, since you are selling your RV, you don't want the Mexico paperwork to jump up and bite you if the new owner crosses the border and gets into an accident. That can really open a can of worms! Even if you don't give him the hologram, you set up the possibility that the new owner may want to take the RV into Mexico and register it under his name, which he can't do because you still have it registered in your name. Remember, TIPs are tracked by VIN # and registered owner, and passport #.

b) is out; taking the RV hologram to the border without the RV will get you nowhere. They cannot cancel a TIP without the vehicle right in front of them. They have to compare VIN numbers, among other things.

c) would be a correct option;

However, if I were you, I'd sell the RV and then send all the paperwork into Mexico City for cancellation. This is the method set up for people that, for one reason or another, cannot return to the border in the RV to get it cancelled.

Turtle-Toad

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/10 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travelwrytr,
Your situation is somewhat different than that of the other poster. They had a Class A 10 year permit that also showed a car in tow. Even though the car had it's own 6 month TIP, which was cancelled when they returned to the US, it may show up when they try to get a new 6 month tip. Plus the main problem was what to do with the 10 year TIP when they sell the A. So it just made sense to cancel the RV TIP. This cleared the problems associated with having an outstanding RV TIP and at the same time removed any doubt about getting new 6 months TIPs in the future.

I've received info from some of the people that have RV's that stay in Mexico year round while the owners drive cars back and forth. They say that there has never been a problem getting the 6 month TIP's for their cars. So that appears to remove that problem.

With your situation, since B's don't normally pull toads, I'm assuming that there isn't a second vehicle listed on the RV TIP anyway. So you shouldn't have a problem getting a TIP for your car with or without the B in attendance.

travelwrytr

North America

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/10 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks! That's great news and seemed the logical answer (but then ... logic and Mexico does not always go hand in hand).

Thanks for your quick response. Appreciate it!

Footloose-fancy free in a VW EVC

Visited since May 2005
(need to add to maps: Canada - British Columbia. USA - New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington.)

travelwrytr

North America

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/10 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It occurred to me ... will it matter to Mexican officials whether the vehicle is still in Mexico or whether it has been brought home? I'm assuming the point of the 10-year sticker is so you can come in and out freely.

Turtle-Toad

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/10 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travelwrytr wrote:

It occurred to me ... will it matter to Mexican officials whether the vehicle is still in Mexico or whether it has been brought home? I'm assuming the point of the 10-year sticker is so you can come in and out freely.

Partly right; the 10 year permit allows you to LEAVE an RV in Mexico while you come in and out freely, in your toad or another vehicle. But it also allows you to drive your RV back and forth for 10 years without having to apply for a TIP for it on every trip. So, No, the officials don't care where the RV is at any given point in time; until the 10 years are up.

Of course you still have to get a 6 month TIP for your toad, and a FMM for yourself for each trip (up to 180 days in country).

travelwrytr

North America

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/10 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again - appreciate it.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/11 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crossing back from Tijuana by San Ysidro to San Diego
We whent to TJ to visit a friend, by car.
It has been a year since last crossing, if returning with an RV, Motor Home, Trailler, ETC. CBP want's all such vehicles to stay on the left lane of the port of entry, we got on the wrong lane and ended on the right lanes of the port, all the right lanes, next to the island that sell curios are now SENTRY Lanes, they are very poorly marked in TJ, and hard to determin witch lane you are supposed to be in.
The port of entry is also being refurbrished or rebuilt, lots of contruction going on, so be pattient and be carfull with the concrete barriers on both side of border. Navegator

Sothamericatraveler

albuquerque, new mexico, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THERE IS NOW A CHARGE (200-400) WHICH IS DEDUCTED FROM YOUR CREDIT CARD AT THE BORDER OR CASH (THIS WILL BE REFUNDED UPON EXIT ALSO IN CASH)..NORMANDO

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> New and Improved Border FAQ's
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS