Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Rust in the hot water tank

Posted By: roadbandit on 08/10/09 07:37pm

I am the 2nd owner of a 2006 Palamino Puma that I bought last October(I don't know anything about the previous owners). I drained the hot water tank, winterized the unit, and anxiously awaited this camping season. (I have been an RV owner for 15 years).

After a couple of trips out, we now noticed that every time we heat the water in the tank, we get rust colored water out of the hot water faucet and it smells rusty. I have tried draining the tank and flushing it with a wand; I drain the tank after each trip and the problem is still there.

Has anyone had this problem before? Any suggestions on how to "clean" the tank?

Thanks.

Posted By: BillArf on 08/10/09 07:42pm

Make of your water heater? Does it have an anode rod? If so have you changed it at all?

By the way, bottom of water heater tank is like a shallow dish (it is not flat) and if you do not rinse the crud out of the dish well it will cause ongoing issues. You can fill with a bleach / water concentration in proper mix ratio to sanitize but this will not get the gunk out of the bottom of the tank.

Posted By: SUKISHORT on 08/10/09 07:45pm

It may be just shot. Check the anode rod if there is one, otherwise, the takn may be a loss. If you have to replace it, get on that you can change the anode in and then make sure you change it every year or so.

Posted By: BillArf on 08/10/09 07:53pm

Posted By: pulsar on 08/10/09 08:09pm

Moved from Forum Technical Support to Tech Issues.

Posted By: Road Runners on 08/10/09 08:41pm

BillArf wrote:

Where did you buy that hot water tank flushing wand?????

'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

Posted By: Lost One on 08/10/09 08:46pm

I cleaned out the bottom of my water heater and got a lot of sediment out of it, I took a coated coat hanger and make a small loop on the end of it then put electrical tape over the end of the wire and gently scraped around in the bottom of the water heater.

There was a lot of buildup in there, I was getting pieces of the porcelin liner coming out as well (before I even used the coat hanger) so I know the life of mine is very limited and I plan on replacing it as soon as I can afford to. I replaced one in my previous TT and the best place for the $$$ I could find was Ebay.

2012 Ford F350 King Ranch CC LB 6.7L
1992 NU-WA Hitchhiker Premier 32' with slide
Q5 Fifth wheel hitch

Posted By: BillArf on 08/10/09 08:49pm

Road Runners wrote:

Can be found on eBAY and most RV places.

Posted By: Lost One on 08/10/09 08:49pm

Road Runners wrote:

BillArf wrote:

You can get them at Camping world, Water heater cleaning nozzle.

Posted By: skipnchar on 08/10/09 09:20pm

Since Atwood water tanks are made of only aluminum, they don't need an anode rod (unless someone has "IMPROVED" them by adding a metal plug in place of the nylon one) and being all aluminum they do not rust. I would assume that if yours is rusting it's a Suburban and probably a Suburban without an anode rod. Electrolysis will eat a water tank that has dissimilar metals in it's construction, like a Suburban, unless it is protected by a functioning anode rod.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Posted By: robatthelake on 08/10/09 10:24pm

Are You sure about a Porcelain Liner Lost One?

There is often a buildup of White Crud that looks like Hard Plastic and could be mistaken for Porcelain. It is caused by the Horrible hard water often found in the South Western States! This stuff often plugs the Anti backup valves as well! Usually the Anode on Suburban Heaters will show signs of this crud!

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..92 Tracker 4X2

Posted By: Road Runners on 08/11/09 11:31am

thanks everyone for the info on where to get a hot water tank cleaning wand. I was doing a search on "hot water tank cleaning wand" and was coming up with nothing. Then, with your help, I found lots of cleaning wands when I did the search using "tank saver flushing tool".

Posted By: Lost One on 08/11/09 01:13pm

robatthelake wrote:

Are You sure about a Porcelain Liner Lost One?

There is often a buildup of White Crud that looks like Hard Plastic and could be mistaken for Porcelain. It is caused by the Horrible hard water often found in the South Western States! This stuff often plugs the Anti backup valves as well! Usually the Anode on Suburban Heaters will show signs of this crud!

Unfortunetly for me I am sure, I wish it wasn't. The pieces I was getting out was blue chunks for the porcelin about half the size of a dime.

Posted By: roadbandit on 08/16/09 01:46pm

Thanks everyone for your comments. I did neglect to say we do have a Suburban Hot Water tank. We have always had Atwood Tanks. We were told about the anode rod and did replace it this past Spring.

We ended up having to replace the tank. We were lucky that our local RV dealer, Redwood RV, had a tank in stock and an opening in his schedule to replace the tank. He told us it appeared the old one had been dropped (probably during installation) because the outside protection material (it looks like styrofoam) was cracked. He thought that may have started the problem. The porcelain was breaking off and the steel tank was exposed to the water causing it to rust.

Print  |  Close