|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Cummins Onan P4300ie, Robin Subaru, John Deere genny

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
kirkj55

Nor Cal

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/09 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my Cummins Onan P4300ie last year when Costco had an online sale. The generator works great, I boondocked last winter and it ran well and was quiet, I try to run it monthly when not RV'ing. Last week I went to use it and the battery was dead because I had not run it for 2 months, a couple pulls on the rope and I was up and running. I ran it all day at my house while an electrician was replacing my breaker box, ran 2 tv's and a couple of Patton fans. It weighs 162 pounds but easilly rolls anywhere I want because it has wheels, when I take it RV'ing I have my son help me load it in my truck bed where I chain it up for the duration of the trip.
My question is to other owners of this genny or the Robin Subaru or John Deere 4300 as to how well theirs have worked for them? any problems?

Rolling Condo

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/09 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, I bought mine about the same time on sale from Costco. I've never bothered with a battery yet. Easy to start, runs smooth, quiet and runs my RV without any issues. I'd been looking at these for a long time as I wanted more than 3000 watts and felt I hit the lottery when it went on sale for 1/2 price.

'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy

hotpepperkid

Chino Hills CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/09 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Robins/Suburu verison (yellow) Cummins is red and there is a green one with John Deer on it. Its got 170 hours on it with no problems. They also make a 3200 verison. If you have a GoSafety hardware store near you the one near me has the 4300 for $1500 which is a smoking deal

hpk

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

gmachine

Marion,IN & Chuluota,FL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/09 09:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same deal, Costco 1/2 price. Love it, but mounted on rear of fifth can't use manual start w/o dropping swing mount. So far has always started on battery. Excercise it monthly with air and microwave. Also have used it on farm; very handy.
Jim

Bering MD23(Cummins ISB)w/60" flattop Kenworth sleeper & 2005 Excel 35MKO Limited, 2006 Scion XA.

Castaic Lion

Santa Clarita, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/09 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Missed Costco, sort of, bought one from someone who didn't off ebay. One issue about am month ago was running the AC in the driveway and all of us sudden it just quit. Restarted ran fine as soon as I put a load it quit. Called Cummins repairs, they weren't familiar with the unit, hadn't seen one. Little worried but figured it had to get fixed. Day before taking it in I started it again and it ran fine on load. Never touched anything no reset nothing. Soooo, we'll wait and see. Wished it was a bit quiter but heck for the price I ain't complaining.
Oh by the way the one that Costco said they diodn't have because they were sold out and weren't going to offer rainchecks came two days later.

Rolling Condo

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/09 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Castaic Lion wrote:

Missed Costco, sort of, bought one from someone who didn't off ebay. One issue about am month ago was running the AC in the driveway and all of us sudden it just quit. Restarted ran fine as soon as I put a load it quit. Called Cummins repairs, they weren't familiar with the unit, hadn't seen one. Little worried but figured it had to get fixed. Day before taking it in I started it again and it ran fine on load. Never touched anything no reset nothing. Soooo, we'll wait and see. Wished it was a bit quiter but heck for the price I ain't complaining.
Oh by the way the one that Costco said they diodn't have because they were sold out and weren't going to offer rainchecks came two days later.

That's an interesting problem you describe. So far Iv'e had no issues with mine. Since I need to exercise mine instead of the heater I usually use I'll connect my trailer and crank up the A/C unit. As for Costco, apparantly they sold out on the P4300ie units they had in stock and they dropped the listing from their website when they sold out. They still have a listing for the P3200ie model.

Rolling Condo

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/09 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley
Thanks much for including the pics. That's a great box you have for your genny. My question is how you have your platform built and connected to the frame (I'm assuming)? All advice I've heard was all negative on using a platform on the rear of a TT.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/09 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The platform was custom fabricated. It is directly welded to the I beam on both sides. A new steel bumper was also made and welded to the rear to replace the original.
I have had this set up going on two full season now. So far no issues.
The platform has worked well for me. But each trailer is different. Some rigs will easily accept a large genset and platform and some will not. The platform will definitely alter your tongue weight and balance of your rig. Nevertheless I can say adding a large heavy genset to the rear can be done successfully.

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

Old & Slow

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/09 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't you have remote control? Is the enclosure of welded design? Again, kudos.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/09 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Robins 4300is mounted on the rear of my TT. Just turn the key and I have full power wherever I am. Boondocking, lunch breaks power outages at home, whatever.I have run my unit 2 days straight with no issues. I missed the great Costco deal. I purchased my unit used on about 3 years ago Ebay. Changed the oil and spark plugs annually, Otherwise all I do is turn the key. I have never needed to pull the cord.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Cummins Onan P4300ie, Robin Subaru, John Deere genny
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS