RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Hybrid Travel Trailers: KZ Coyote Bunk End ????

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> KZ Coyote Bunk End ????

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
UnclebenAVFD

Mantua, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/09 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had these problems with CT-22 that I bought used about 3 years ago. When I got mine, the tent end was attached like the pic that 2COOL posted. On mine the plastic actually cracked inbetween the screws and 2 of the tent ends were pulling out on the corners. I worked out a deal with KZ for 3 new ends, but I had to install them myself. I did not put screws in the corners. I removed the aluminum channels that they used on the sides of the tent ends and cut them in half. Then I put the new tents on. I installed one of the halfs of the channel in its original spot. The other half, I installed as close to the corner, along the top of the tent end. It acts almost like a clip that holds the plastic J channel on. I did that 3 years ago and have never had another problem with it. The only complaint is that the tent ends have a saggy crappy fit. But reading on here for a while I guess that is to be expected. If anyone needs them I can see if I can post some pics!

travis4710

VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/09 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, pictures would be great. I beleive I'm going to have to replace mine, but nobody from KZ will call me back.

dayner

Slidell, LA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/09 10:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck with KZ, 1. Customer Service is usually not reachable, and 2. learned the hard way the '06 Coyote was very poorly constructed, and unsuitable for life near the Gulf coast, maybe OK in the north or dry western climates but not made for wet ones. It simply is not designed to shed water, but absorbs it like a dishrag. Tent fabric will not stay attached unless modified as you guys are discussing. Bunk compression seals simply turn to powder, front cap framing is not aluminum but very light white pine that will rot very quickly, front and real horizontal vinyl seals (about 6 inches in length) are attached only with double backed tape and cover open 3/8" open gap butt joints; if you don't religiously remove them and retape and recaulk you will soon replace the entire wood front structure. Exterior panel stiffeners inside front cap and real end wall are fiber pressboard and simply mold & dissolve if you get any leakage (which you will never see until you have to repair the structure). Floor/wall stringers are untreated wood and are not protected by the scrim although it looks like they are; result is that tow vehicle & trailer water sprays directly onto the wood at the front and sides rotting the wood leaving many of the screws holding the blue rocker panel to the wall really hanging in thin air. I can go on, and if you want photos just give me an e-mail address and you will quickly see what I am talking about, and KZ, they have never been any help (and it did cost me $540 to have the compression seals replaced 18 months ago and the are failing again). Live and learn.

bamaram2002

Central Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/09 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In response to dayner...

First let me preface this with the statement that it is not my opinion that KZ is the best thing out there. I was much more impressed with the fit and finish of my '99 Cub than I am with my current '03 Coyote. But, I have found nothing to show me that KZ makes an inferior product. Based on the abuse this camper must have taken in the past (we bought it this spring), it must be a well built HTT. Since 6 years have passed and many manufacturing changes have occured since my Coyote as built, not all of my experiences may be valid to compare to newer-built Coyotes.

That said, I have an '03 that spent all of its life on the Florida coast (Atlantic side) until I bought it this spring. While the coastal life is never kind to anything, this one seemed to hold up pretty well other than fading and cracking the decals on one side and the front and rear and destroying the tires on that side where the unrelenting sun beat on it every day for 6 years.

I've actually had a good experience with their customer service. I sent an email thinking I might never hear back. But I got a reply within a day and that same person (Matt Deal) has been responsive each time I've had a question. I did replace one of the bunk seals - not because it dissolved, but because the corners wouldn't hold in place any more (could be they changed the material they use between '03 & '06). The other two need replaced too for the same reason, but at the time I went to get the material, the dealer only had enough to do one and the material was on at least a 6-week back order. I just haven't been back to pick some more up. I can't remember the price of seal material. It was priced by the foot and wasn't cheap, but $540 for 2 bunks worth sounds EXTREMELY high. They must have charged an arm and a leg in labor.

Don't get me wrong, my Coyote has had quite a number of problems I've had to fix - including leaks (all fortunately found before any serious damage occured) - but every one of them can be attributed to abuse and a lack of maintenance by the previous owner. No HTT - or TT for that matter - is immune from leaks. Maintenance is the key.

My biggest complaint is the design for mounting the tents, which they have since redesigned.

As for the floor stringers not being protected - maybe they changed something in the way the build them since 2003, (I know they switched from plywood flooring to the luan/styrofoam floor and from aluminum roof to rubber roof sometime after mine was built) but I can't find anywhere that the framing is exposed on mine. Surely they would have rotted away by now. Maybe yours was built on a Monday?

I'm not doubting all the problems you've had. All manufactures make a lemon now and then. But with all the problems you've had, there are so many more Coyote owners who have been pleased with them, which leads me to think that you simply got a lemon.

Mike, Michele, Hannah (13) and Elijah (10)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab
2003 KZ Coyote 23CT
Family Travel Photo Album

thatguy1967

Springfield, Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/09 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to agree for the most part with Dayner.

I have a 2006 CMS Coyote that I purchased new. After four years of ownership I am extremely displeased with the quality of materials and workmanship. For any other Coyote owners, heed the advice regarding the 6" horizontal strips on either side of the bunk doors - they were very shoddily sealed on mine and allowed water to enter and rot the wood underneath. Have also battled the tent issues, etc.

I expect to put mine up for sale very soon to recoup as much value as possible.

2002 GMC Sierra 1500 2WD Ext Cab, 5.3L, 3.42 axle
2006 KZ Coyote 23CMS, Equalizer Hitch/Voyager Brake Control

CAMPinMI

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/09 03:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is what mine looked like before the ends had been replaced.">

Camper X

Broomfield, Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/09 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man I am so fortunate. I actually have a KZ complete boot for the rear bed on Trail-Cruiser. Since R-Vision has gone out of business with Mondaco, my dealer had to go to plan B. The KZ material is thinner than the front boot. They both give condensation the same and the fabric on the KZ boot is made from Sunbrella.

I think everyone with his/hers particular brand will either have a good experience or a bad one. I have so far had a bad experience that turned into a good one. Now after a year and a half I still really like my trailer and wouldn't trade a thing. I think their are just lemons out there for any particular brand of HTT.

a144ferg

Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/09 04:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After lurking for awhile, I am taking the plunge to see if anyone knows if there is a solution to this "split J channel" issue with the older model bunk corners. We have recently acquired a 2003 Dutchman Adirondack AD236 Hybrid that has great canvas, but the plastic (nylon?) connecting strip has split in several places. It would seem that this strip must be manufactured somewhere, but I have been unable to find a source. Dutchman will sell me the complete canvas, but at $450 per bunk! Has anyone been successful in finding a replacement strip that may be attached by a canvas shop? A couple of my local canvas repair places are looking for suitable replacements, but have not found anything, as yet.

sdsdsd

Malvern,Pa

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/09 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too have the opinion that KZ HYBRIDS ARE TOTAL JUNK! I've had the factory come to my dealer to do repairs to my bunks, and had to redo the total screwed up job over myself. They should be made to refund everyones money. I have even sent them letters with no response at all!

steve

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> KZ Coyote Bunk End ????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS