RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Protection for tow car!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Protection for tow car!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
O'Bogans

Curlew, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/09 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen tow cars behind a motor home going down the road that have a full cover that reaches from the bottom of the front bumper to the upper edge of the windshield. Does anyone know where I can purchase one of these covers for my 2002 Honda CR-V EX? I know that there is a company called Fanchers in Michigan, but you have to go to their facility as they don't have any patterns and all of their covers are custom made to your vehicle, I just don't think we'll be in Michigan any time soon and after much experience with other types of protections we feel this type would best serve our needs...HELP!

Troubleshooter

Anchorage, AK

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/09 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look here
Coastline Covers

Bill
2002 Discovery 3126E CAT
2004 Saturn VUE
Mountain Master Tow Brake

JAXFL

Jacksonville, Florida, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/09 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use this and all works good.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/09 01:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hummm...I thought this was going to be another gun thread

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/09 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're just returning from our Alaska trip this summer. While we were there we met a guy who had a shield to protect his tow car. Problem was when he stopped driving one day, he found that the rocks kicked up by his motorhome had hit the tow shield and bounced back into the rear of his coach. The toad looked great but the back of the motorhome was pitted pretty good. Something to think about.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2003 Odyssey
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/09 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking at using a "Protect-A-Tow" with my RAV4. Have you tried this type of protector? Did you have problems with it?

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Troubleshooter

Anchorage, AK

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/09 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2chiefsRus wrote:

We're just returning from our Alaska trip this summer. While we were there we met a guy who had a shield to protect his tow car. Problem was when he stopped driving one day, he found that the rocks kicked up by his motorhome had hit the tow shield and bounced back into the rear of his coach. The toad looked great but the back of the motorhome was pitted pretty good. Something to think about.

I can relate to this problem.
In 2002 when we purchased our DP, I ordered a Lexan Tow Shield to mount on the front of the towed vehicle towbar brackets. One trip from Yuma to Anchroage showed me the error of my ways. While the towed vehicle was in excellent shape, the rear of our DP looked like it has been peppered with #7 1/2 birdshot, from the small rocks hitting the tow shield, and deflecting forward into the rear of the coach.
One Lexan Tow Shield in the dumpster.
Decided on getting a Rock Guard for the rear of our DP...... Talked to a friend who had one, and immediately changed my mind. One trip from Anchorage to Great Falls showed him the error of his ways, so to speak. The weight of the DP's engine/transmission area caused the vehicle to dip when going over small bumps, and thus swept the rocks/gravel upwards, and rearwards at the same speed as he was traveling. End results were rocks all over his towed Blazer, broken headlights and parking lights, and a cracked windshield.
Forget that idea.
Next solution was a RV UnderSkirt from Blue OX (similar to the Protect-A-Tow), which required some modification due to the rear exhaust of the DP. The best solution by far, for protecting the towed vehicle. Eight trips up and down the Alaska Highway, and no visible damge to the towed Saturn. The only shortcoming being the rear exhaust, and having to modify the 'skirt to clear the hot exhaust/gasses.
A BIG plus for the UnderSkirt: While entering Edmondton from the West at 7:00 AM on a Sunday morning, driving about 60MPH, the car in front of us suddenly ducked from the right lane to the left lane. Before I could react, I saw a 7-8 foot aluminum step ladder laying crosswise to the traffic lane, and I had no other option than to run over it. From all the noise and flying aluminum, I could only guess at the amount of damage I was going to discover when I finally got stopped. Investigation of the damage showed that we had 'dodged the bullet' so to speak. No tires blown, and minimal damage to the DP. Looking at the VUE, the only damage I could find was a plastic keeper for the right front fender liner was missing. The UnderSkirt had given up its life however, by forcing the ladder down and under the VUE, preventing any damage to the vehicle. Some repairs were required to the UnderSkirt, but it has been revived and is still used for each tow.
However, I must admit, I came across a Coast Line Tow Car Cover for a reasonable price, and use it when traveling the upper reaches of the Alaska Highway. Maybe a case of wearing both a Belt and Suspenders, but it does give some added protection, plus keeps the VUE a bit cleaner than traveling without it.

Bill

Kamphiker

South Florida (this 'aint paradise anymore)

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/09 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those of you using the Ultra Guard which length did you go with 94" x 16" OR 94" x 20"

what is the proper clearance from the road surface to the bottom of the skirt ?

2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

donee

Ca. 93063/ Ut 84129

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/09 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We re using the same item as JAXFL and so far it seems to work fairly well.
Thinking about the Coastline cover as added protection.

donnie (K7UTA) & Linda
1 rescued furrykid "Buddy"
08 Monaco Monarch 30SFS
09 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited.

Not a Clue

Southern Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/09 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Troubleshooter wrote:

Take a look here
Coastline Covers

We have this one and like it.

Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Protection for tow car!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS