RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Hard Wire Install 1800 Watt Inverter with transfer switch

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Hard Wire Install 1800 Watt Inverter with transfer switch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Wanderman

New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/09 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK,
Tomorrow I am going to remove the now useless marine charger and place an 1800 watt inverter with transfer switch and ac pass through.
It's a Xantrex XM1800.

I will be connecting the DC Positive side at the battery with a Class T fuse and block, but I
am going to begin wiring the 120v AC side.

My existing AC panel (a really standard Mangetek 6300 style that I upgraded the converter charger
section and the DC distro panel to a PDI 4645)
has a 30 amp main, a tandem 20 amp with ac/fridge/converter charger on it
then a tandem 15 amp for both outlets.
I moved the 2 separate outlet breakers so that the rightmost tandem breaker (2x 15amp)
powers the coach's GFCI outlets split right side, left side one for each. (About 6 total dual outlets)

I'd like to set it up so the Inverter gets AC power IN from the breaker box, and
the outlets get power from the hardwire terminals on the inverter. Thus if I
have any type of shore power the inverter is a simple pass through, but if I am dry camping (AND the inverter is switched ON) I get 120v AC power at all the outlets (except the fridge which is already isolated)

AC wiring is NOT my strong suit. Can any shed some light on the proper way to do this. I'd like to keep all the breakers in the main panel if possible. If I have to add a sub panel I will,
but I would need to find the smallest one I can get.

Thanks,

Rick

1991 Aero Cruiser 23RBa

Read All about my Disasters and Triumphs at:

http://www.thewanderman.com/

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/09 05:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Wanderman,

I took the easy way out and simply put an outlet from the inverter 110 volt side in the shore cord power box. As I have a 2500 watt inverter I chose #10 wire.

It does require me to manually flip off the breaker for the converter.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 2500 MSW watt inverter.

Wanderman

New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/09 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought about that, but really want to make this as transparent as I can. With the transfer switch built in...should be relatively easy

Thanks,

Rick

2oldman

Moses Lake

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/09 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know how you can get an AC feed from the panel, and then feed the same panel. I hard-wired my Pro 2.0 between shore and the panel. Voila.. whole house done.

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/09 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many circuits are you powering? One is easy, connect it to the inverter output. Then use the empty breaker to feed the inverter with a new piece of romex.

Two circuits you might be able to just connect them to the output of the inverter but you must feed the inverter with the lower rated breaker. And then you will be sharing power and will be more prone to tripping the one breaker when plugged in.

How many amps is the transfer switch rated? That will also limit total current.

When I say connect you need to move all three; Hot, Neutral & Ground.

* This post was edited 08/29/09 07:11pm by smkettner *

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

plascell

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/09 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1800 watts is ~15 amps and probably the same as the breakers already in the breaker box. Just hardwire the output of the inverter to the outlet circuits which are probably on one breaker anyway. Run AC power to the inverter from the old outlet breaker. Change the breaker rating if necessary.

Installation tip: Put plugs (male & female) on the input and output of the inverter. The female goes on the cable going to the source (breaker panel & inverter output) and the male plugs on the inverter input and cable to the outlets. This way, if the inverter fails, just unplug it and plug (jumper) around the inverter until it is easy to get service. Using twist lock plugs will keep them from viberating loose.

Pete W4WWQ DX70 IC-2800 Pressure-Pro X-10 camera
2006 Chevy 3500 CC LB 4WD DRW Duramax auto-6
2003 Cardinal 29WB LX EU3000is Roto-Choks 300W from www.amsolar.com

jbbrick

Near San Francisco

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/09 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did just what you want to do, with the same inverter. Had to use a sub panel to do what I wanted but now it hots up all outlets (except for refer and hw elect coil) with just a push of the button. And the remote control panel is an easy setup and gives you a constant 12v battery reading. I had to use a cheap sub panel from Home Depot in order to get the circuits the way I wanted. I'll pm you with a schematic.

'02 Winnie Adventurer 32V
2010 Ford Escape toad

fncampn

Gardnerville, NV

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/09 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did my XM1800 using a with 2-breaker sub-panel, one for the microwave and one for all the AC outlets. I wired it this way because of the current rating of the transfer switch in the inverter. It is limited to a max of 15 amps. Do not wire the entire AC panel through the inverter since multiple AC loads exceeding 15 amps when on shorepower will exceed the pass-through transfer switch rating.

On the bright side, I have had this inverter for 2 years now and have worked it at its rated output quite a few times without any issues.

'03 Cadillac Escalade ESV 6.0L Auto 3.73LS AWD
Camperless for the time being...

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/09 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will have to use a sub panel to keep the inverter hot, netural, ground seperate. I think you are saying the breaker box is full with the 30a in and the 20 and 15a tandem breakers. You will have to have a 20a breaker for the inverter feed. 20a AC, 20a inverter, 15a fridge/converter. That leaves you with a 15a space. When you are on shore power all outlet power will be passing through the inverter, limited to 20a total. If you put in an outlet, powered from the free 15a space it will not be passing through the inverter and the 20a from the inverter is not effected and you are not limited to what the inverter can pass through.
When I put in my sub panel I had the space in the left in the main breaker box so I added two outlets that don't go through the inverter. I have used them for electric heaters, air compressors and a saw. Mostly for an electric heater.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Wanderman

New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/09 11:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

>>The Xantrex has a built in 15A circuit breaker for the output, so you could wire the inverter directly to the outlets and skip the subpanel. <<

Hmmm.....before I rewire everything I saw this post. According to the XM1800 manual there is no fuse/breaker protection if you hardwire to the lugs inside.

HOWEVER, the built-in GFCI wires are hardwired into the 15amp built in breaker.

So if I was to ONLY power a single 15amp circuit in the main box couldn't I just run ROMEX from the AC out wires that WERE connected to the now removed built in GFCI outlet and protected by the internal 15amp ac breaker to the wires attached to the single breaker (these are the outlets in the coach) and attaching the inverter AC IN to the now empty 15amp single breaker.

Now I have a 15amp protected IN and a 15amp protected OUT.

Is this possible?? Safe??

Thanks,

Rick

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Hard Wire Install 1800 Watt Inverter with transfer switch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts