Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Tow Haul On or Off??

Posted By: NorthernNeck,VA on 08/31/09 07:00am

Yesterday while driving home I forgot to turn on my Tow Haul on my 05 F350, 6.0. When I got home I realized that my fuel mileage actually went up and that my truck seemed to pull with less straining and shifting. I'm pulling a 36ft King of the Road.

My question is: Should I leave it off when pulling my 5er and what does the tow haul mode actually do?

We are leaving in less than 3 weeks for Maine and I am wondering if I should leave it off to increase my fuel mileage but I don't want to do any harm to the truck.

Thanks.

Jimmy & Kathy
Northern Neck, VA.

2005 Ford F350, DRW, Diesel
2005 King of the Road "Royal Villa" 34BW

Posted By: Mirage3250 on 08/31/09 07:04am

Generally I leave mine off. IF the truck starts downshifting a LOT I use it. Also turn it on prior to a serious downgrade.
Agree with you about the mileage...seems much better with it off.

37' Mirage Triple slider, '03 GMC 1 T Ext.Cab Dually, Duramax/Allison GO SOONERS!!

Posted By: RRUGG on 08/31/09 07:15am

With my Dodge in tow/haul it doesn't get into 6th gear as much as it stays in 5th (both overdrives).

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

Posted By: jbusnret on 08/31/09 07:22am

The tow/haul feature actually changes the shift patterns of the transmission. When off (light on) transmission downshifts sooner when going into an upgrade and while going downgrade prevents quicker up-shift into higher gears if in cruise. I get out of cruise when going into an upgrade and after crest I punch back into cruise at a lower speed which helps downhill increase of speed. If driving up/down constantly I leave tow/haul off. If on long stretch of level road, tow/haul on (light off).

Jim & Jackie
BTCS,USN (Ret) & VA Employee (Ret)
2007 Bounder 32W, Triton V10
2004 Jeep GC Larado (toad)

When everything's coming your way....
...you're in the wrong lane and going the wrong way.

Posted By: Dick_B on 08/31/09 07:22am

We put ours on when in the city with lots of stop and go.
You could also read the Owners Manual to see what the manufacturer states about it and/or search this Forum for `tow haul' where there are lots of responses.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

Posted By: wa8shc on 08/31/09 07:25am

On my Dodge, T/H modifies the shift point so that the truck stays in any given lower gear just a bit longer. Gives a little more 'pulling power' for things like interstate entrances.
It also keeps the torque converter locked while slowing until abt 20mph. This gives a little 'engine braking', especially in 2nd & 3rd gears
Dodge recommends in the manual to use T/H when towing or hauling a heavy load, hence the name
Mine is ON whenever the 5th is hooked up, and I even use it in some city traffic situations for the braking
JMHO

Denny WA8SHC and Rita WB8TIR
Siberian Husky Ta'kya (Princess RIP 10/04 Taz RIP 5/12/08)
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 5.9L CTD 3.73/LSD,Quadzilla RECON monitor
2008 Rockwood 8243S 5th wheel
Pullrite 14K Superglide & MorRyde pinbox

Posted By: Dennis Bham on 08/31/09 07:37am

In the hot summers, my transmission temps run approx 15 degrees cooler with tow/haul on ... plus engine braking is improved ...

'08 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 4x4, Crew Cab, Std Bed e/w 18K Superglide
'08 Cougar 292RKS, e/w 16" Sendel wheels & BFG Commercial TA tires
PressurePro TPMS

Posted By: BB_TX on 08/31/09 07:54am

As mentioned, tow/haul changes the shift points to reduce transmission from shifting up/down so often when towing. Reduces lugging when loaded and pulling. And improves your engine braking when towing.
I put mine in tow/haul when I hook up to my 5er and it stays there until I unhook.

Posted By: downtheroad on 08/31/09 08:36am

Don't know about mileage because when I am towing I just don't worry about mileage...towing = poor mileage as compared to our Subaru and grocery getting.

But, tow/haul is much easier on your tranny because it will run cooler. When we are towing, we are in tow/haul.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

Posted By: M GO BLUE on 08/31/09 08:39am

BB_TX wrote:

I put mine in tow/haul when I hook up to my 5er and it stays there until I unhook.

x2

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel
Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

Posted By: Vulcaneer on 08/31/09 08:47am

NorthernNeck,VA wrote:

When I got home I realized that my fuel mileage actually went up and that my truck seemed to pull with less straining and shifting.

Just curious. How much did your MPG really change? I am surprised that your truck seemed to pull with less straining and shifting with T/H off.

My set up is similar to yours but with a gas 30V V10. My mileage does diminish slightly with T/H. Maybe 2 tenths of a MPG. But I do find T/H makes it strain less, with earlier downshifting and later up shifting. And it does down shift for engine braking on downgrades and slowing down. Just all around better towing using TH. But then again, my truck is a gasser. So a different animal than you have.

But if you are not having trouble without using T/H, I doubt you would hurt anything by NOT using it.

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Confusion is a prerequisite to enlightenment.
Enlightenment is a prerequisite to revelation.
Revelation without action makes no difference.

Posted By: TubaPete on 08/31/09 08:47am

The tow/haul mode is for the benefit of the transmission. Towing with it off puts a greater strain on the transmission clutch plates.

You may get better mileage but you may also be looking at a transmission repair sooner.

Pay me now or pay me later.

Tuba Pete

Posted By: Yaj on 08/31/09 08:52am

Supposed to be better for transmission.

1996 HR Endeavor LE,Cummins 5.9 230hp, Allison 3060,
Front-Yamaha Enduro, Rear-Honda Helix Geeser Cruiser, 2 bikes,
22ft 1977 Cruiser in tow.
1 DW, 2 kids.
1 old dog, 1 fat cat.
I wasn't thinking this far ahead!
Selling our 1995 Georgie Boy Cruise Master, P30.

Posted By: bhoth on 08/31/09 08:56am

The reason why the tranny runs cooler is because the Tow-Haul mode locks the TC up sooner and holds each gear longer before upshifting (less slippage equals less heat)
You are seeing the reduction in mileage because of it holding each gear longer.

Posted By: Jimbo53 on 08/31/09 09:05am

F350 auto 6.0 dually

and tow/haul mode stays ON while towing period.

Makes no difference to me if the road is flat. I still keep it on.

Do yourself a favor. Start out with it off. Drive a little distance, now start with it ON.

I could always tell when I forgot to turn it back on after fueling because the towing power was way down. This function also helps you slow down simply by lifting off the gas pedal because you are usually in a lower gear, and it saves on brakes also.

Jimbo

Posted By: DaSu on 08/31/09 09:11am

On this subject , my F250 6.0 diesel does a great job with the t/h on while pulling . I too always put it on unless I have forgotten when taking off . The t/h does a wonderful job of down shifting the transmission when entering a slow zone ( city , curve) . One thing I DO NOT like while in t/h is when taking off in a 55 MPH speed zone , I have to get the truck up to about 60 MPH or so before it will shift into a higher gear to reduce the RPMs which helps to get a bit better milage .

2005 F250 6.0 Power Stroke SRW Crew Cab
2006 33'Jayco Eagle
"Life is Good"

Posted By: superflatz on 08/31/09 09:22am

I usually keep mine off for 1 reason. When it downshifts going up a hill, it downshifts 2 gears. This really rev's up the rpm's and scares the poop out of me.

Since my unit has the autoshift on the shift lever, I use that to downshift manually when I anticipate going up a hill. Almost like driving a manual.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong and someone can correct me. I'm no expert and when I bought this truck last year, I didn't put a transmission guage on. So, I have no idea about the temps. Gotta get one.

2008 Dodge 6.7L diesel, 4X4 auto 1 ton dually.
2005 Keystone Montana 3500RL.
Retired September, 2005.

See our blog at: www.americanfulltimers.com

Posted By: FastEagle on 08/31/09 09:34am

My 04 Dodge has the standard auto trans for that year model hooked up to a 4.10. When towing I'm always in the T/H mode when under 55 MPH. Depending on conditions I'm always out of T/H mode above 55 MPH. T/H will red line my RPMs at about 67 MPH. The very best highway speed for my TV/Trailer combination is between 62 - 65 MPH. That 4.10 will eat up the fuel much faster above 67 MPH. But I'm running ST tires so I don't go there anymore.

FastEagle

p.s. When in states with 55 MPH posted speed limits for trailer towing my fuel economy is about 1-2 MPG less while in T/H even though there is less gear changing. Out of T/H at 55 mph my trans will down shift on the slightest incline.

Tire Blog

Posted By: Curly2001 on 08/31/09 10:25am

If you get the poop scared out of you, keep it in tow/haul and wear depends.
Just teasing...a little. Tow/haul is to keep you running at just a little higher RPM than normal for cooling and it does keep the shift points adjusted so the tranny doesn't hunt up and down for the gear it needs. On GM it downshifts to the next gear when you apply the brakes under certain speeds to help you slow down.
Curly

2007 Chev. 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Posted By: jpjulian on 08/31/09 01:32pm

I always use the T/H mode when hooked up. Braking distance is SIGNIFICANTLY longer with T/H off. The downshifting and corresponding engine braking really helps get our rig slowed down when the need arises. If this costs some mileage, sucks to be me. I'd rather lose some mpg and gain the braking advantage. Easier on the truck/tranny and safer overall to use the T/H mode.

jj

2014 Excel Winslow 31IKE 5th wheel, 2008 Ford F-250 Extended Cab, 6.4L Diesel. Retired Illinois State Trooper. Kids gone. Dogs gone. We're gone!!

Posted By: UsualSuspect on 08/31/09 01:42pm

You might to call a Ford Service Dept. and ask them what changes other than the shift points when you are in T/H Mode. On a Duramax (Which I know is not a Ford), it changes the shift points, but also locks the torque converter when it shifts into 3rd gear or higher, which results in less wear on the tranny. A work around might be to start out in T/H mode until you reach highway speeds then turn it off allowing the tranny to shift into a higher gear sooner. I would check with a tranny person and find out if it does more than a shift point change.

2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD )
2011 Toyota Tundra
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

Posted By: JR45 on 08/31/09 02:15pm

Jim
Tuba Pete said it best (Pay me now or pay me later) With that large of a 5er I would run in the T/H mode, it sucks when your TV is in the shop for something that you could have avoided. If you are after more MPG, when you get over 62 MPH your RPM should drop.
That is the reason (Dodge,Ford,GM) put that little buttom there, to Tow/Haul
JR

2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
98 Honda Accord Toad

Posted By: sonny drake on 08/31/09 02:35pm

I use tow/haul mode when pulling 5th wheel trailer. Helps with braking. Helps save my brakes. I have 105,000 miles on my 2005 F250 crewcab 4x4 and I am using my original brakes. Have not had to repair anything on them. I keep my transmission maintenance, etc on schedule. I think tow/haul is one of the best innovations for towing. Cruise control with brake haul is a real mileage killer because the computer does not see the road conditions, so I do not use cruise control when towing.

2003 4x4 F250 Crewcab, 6.0 L Powerstroke, 6.75 ft bed
2005 Wildcat 29 RLBS
Sidewinder pin box

Posted By: NC Hauler on 08/31/09 02:38pm

Sounds like T/H works just about the same in all of them. Higher shift points to help you get up to speed, keeps the tranny cooler while towing and it also affects your braking. If not in T/H, braking, as mentioned earlier is affected because you've taken the T/H feature of braking out of the picture, which is one thing I want to keep in the picture. I run in T/H mode all the time, as recommended by manufacturer, especially if towing heavy/heavier TT's or 5er's.

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

Posted By: mcumbie on 08/31/09 04:50pm

I always use the tow/haul mode when hooked up like a lot of other folks on here have mentioned.....early on, I would occassionally forget and then turn it on when I recognized it....I now make myself do a short checklist every time I hook up and always turn the tow/haul button on and if I am heading out on the highway rather than just around the corner from storage, I turn on my AWESOME exhaust brake that Dodge puts on their newer rigs!!! It aint no Allison, but it stops better than my buddy's GMC every day of the week and twice on Sundays!!heheheeeeee....just giving you Chevy/GMC guys a hard time...don't give me too much payback!!

Posted By: jimwooster on 08/31/09 07:48pm

M GO BLUE wrote:

BB_TX wrote:

x2

I use it all the time towing. Figure they put it on for a reason. Just my opinion.

Posted By: mfoster711 on 08/31/09 08:41pm

I guess I am the odd ball. I rarely use it. My gas mileage sucks with Tow/Haul on. When I am in the hills I will turn it on to have the benefit of engine braking. I don't like going down long hills riding the brakes the whole time and the engine brake keeps me from having to do that. Other than that, I leave it off since most of the time I drive on a lot of flat roads.

2007 Ford F250 Lariet 4x4 Diesel
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5BHS

Posted By: husker 2 on 08/31/09 09:37pm

Apparently the tow/haul feature on Fords while functioning the same as my GMC uses the indicator light differently. My tow/haul is ON when the icon is lit and off when the icon is off. Living and towing in the mountains we use the tow/haul function almost anytime we are towing and our mileage does not seem to drop more than .5 mpg compared with flatland off towing.

2004 GMC 2500 6.0L CC SB Reese 16K Slider Prodigy BC Jayco 24 ft 237a Quest 5er

A decrepid old driver a foxy navigator and one cranky Griff puppy named Bandit. Look for a "Big Red" license NEBR 1

Posted By: BCTrucker on 08/31/09 09:45pm

On an F-350 the Tow haul mode is a programming setting working with the transmission and the engine, you will notice in tow haul if you make an application with the service brake the transmission will downshift and help to slow you down or maintain the speed you are at, a firm sustained brake application will cause the transmission to drop a second gear, the first time or two this happens it may scare you but to pick up the gear again steady sustained throttle pressure will cause the tranny to upshift again, as well will upshift later on acceleration or hill climbing, when travelling I travel in tow haul when accelerating, de-celerating, hill climbing, downhill, and city driving. At highway speeds on mostly flat or slight grades I turn the tow haul feature off.

Posted By: racefan1965 on 09/01/09 03:13am

BB_TX wrote:

X's 3

Rick, Shirley, 3 dogs(Shasta, Baylee & Macy)
2003 Ford 250 Superduty 4x4LB 6.0 Diesel
1999 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 gasser
1993 Hitchhiker ll 28.5 SRLUG
2006 Champion C46540 RV plug ready genset
2009 Honeywell 2000i inverter genset

Posted By: BB_TX on 09/01/09 08:26am

Since I never tow without T/H on, I don't know about mpg difference. But towing in T/H mode on the highway, it usually stays in OD unless climbing a hill so I would not think the mpg would be much different.

Posted By: TreeTopRanch on 09/01/09 11:30am

I too always use T/H when pulling our 5ver.

For those who turn it on for hills and turn it off while on the flats...why? If you're running a flat road your transmission shouldn't be up/down shifting anyway. What difference would it make?

Regarding braking...I love that the transmission downshifts when I apply the brakes.

I will say that downshifting is not enough when traveling down a really steep hill. I still need to apply the brakes. Though I would imagine not nearly as much without the downshifts. I simply apply the brake bringing the RPMs down to just under 1500 and allow it to drive back up to maybe 2700...apply brakes again...and so on.

Safe Travels,
TTR

TreeTopRanch
2007 Ford F350 Dually PSD King Ranch/Chrome FX4
2008 K-Z Montego Bay 36REB-3

Posted By: Boatiac on 09/02/09 07:03am

When I first started towing the 5er I was using it all the time. My service guy at the GM dealer recommended not using the tow/haul all the time. Apparently when in tow/haul the exhaust cleaning cycle does not happen. So he recommended using the tow/haul only when getting up to speed, climbing or descending hills. Otherwise leave it off. He also said my mileage would also go up a little. I have been going with his advice the last couple months, haven't really noticed any increase in mileage (but I still only have 8500 miles on the truck) and really haven't noticed any strain on the engine.

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax, Ride-Rite Air Bags w/compressor
2008 Gulfstream Canyon Trail (Sedona Edition) 34 FBRW
2005 Honda Rincon, 2013 Polaris Rzr 800
1999 Bayliner Capri

Posted By: NC Hauler on 09/02/09 08:23am

Your service man is a bonehead, I'd find another one that actually knows something about the D/A. YES YOU DO GO THROUGH REGEN WHEN TOWING. GM recommends you using tow/haul while towing, it's in your owners manual. If you want to listen to some that actually know what they're talking about. Go to "thedieselplace" and pose this question to all the gearheads under the LLM engine threads. There are actually certified Duramax service repair people on that forum. Again, you DO go through regen when towing, (if the trip is long enough and it happens somewhere in about 350-380 miles on that particular tank), and again, it is recommended that anytime you tow, (by that, I mean towing a TT or 5er), your suppose to use T/H. There has been times I haven't used it once I got into "level terrain", and other than getting about a quarter mile more per gallon, I still went into 6th gear and still had my tow braking feature, if needed. When you don't use T/H, you have bypassed your tranny braking feature.

Posted By: dog bone on 09/02/09 01:53pm

tow haul always when towing. high gear is high gear in or out of th. it just changes the shift pattern. it will down shift faster when going up hills so you can keep your momentum. it is basically works the same as the Allison trans in a chevy. as some one else said, when going down a hill tap the brake and the trans will down shift and hold you back. it comes in handy on the long down hills.

bob and deb
diesel the black lab
2003 30' cedar creek rlbs 5'er
2003 ford f350 crew cab 4x4 6.0 LB
cedar creek club member

Posted By: Boatiac on 09/03/09 07:04am

NC Hauler

Thanks for the input, haven't been to "thedieselplace" in a while. This kind of ticks me off, why would he tell me that!

Posted By: NC Hauler on 09/03/09 08:18am

Boatiac wrote:

NC Hauler

Thanks for the input, haven't been to "thedieselplace" in a while. This kind of ticks me off, why would he tell me that!

I don't know why he would tell you what he did. I could see where you would get a "tad" better mpg, "maybe", but I can also see the tranny heating up a little more and see it searching for a lower gear on occasion. Even on level ground, I still keep it in tow/haul. It's rare that I'm on level ground, but, every once in a while, when I am and the tranny is in 5th, I'll take it out of T/H to let it drop into 6th, then put it back in T/H. In the mountains or hills, T/H mode period. Truck runs cooler and the tranny is taking the guess work out of what gear you need to be in. Also, when not in T/H you bypass the grade braking feature.

Posted By: RonS@Lrv on 09/03/09 12:46pm

I always leave my tow-haul on unless I'm on a steep downgrade in Colorado. If I am running a little fast and tap the brake, it shoots the rpm way over red-line. So if that situation happens, I take off tow-haul, brake down to reasonable speed, and then put it back in. Sometimes its hard on a steep grade to keep speed down.

Ron Smith
Oklahoma City, Ok.

Posted By: dmorgan on 09/03/09 07:45pm

The switch on my 2003 F250 (7.4) say's overdrive. Does this function the same as the tow/hual mode you are all talking about? It seems to me it's just a lower gear...I never noticed any different shift patterns or down shifting during braking. But it does help with braking and seems to lock the torque converter. I never really saw any difference with the tranny temp but I have never towed in the mountains.

2003 F250 7.3 PSD
2008 Northshore 320TS-M5
Prodogy
Timbrens
Fifth Airborne Sidwinder W/Reese 16K

Posted By: thomhack on 09/03/09 07:53pm

The main reason I use tow/haul is better upshift/downshift with the emphasis on downshift. I have 105,000 miles on my rig (25,000 towing)and I am still on the original brakes with plenty of miles left on them.

2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27.5 bhs, 2005 f-250 power stroke diesel,

Posted By: NC Hauler on 09/03/09 08:03pm

dmorgan wrote:

The switch on my 2003 F250 (7.4) say's overdrive. Does this function the same as the tow/hual mode you are all talking about? It seems to me it's just a lower gear...I never noticed any different shift patterns or down shifting during braking. But it does help with braking and seems to lock the torque converter. I never really saw any difference with the tranny temp but I have never towed in the mountains.

There's a difference between OD and T/H. As stated earlier, when in T/H, you stay in the lower gears longer to build up speed. You change gears at a higher rpm than if you weren't in T/H. When in T/H, you also have the grade braking feature. OD, or the way it used to be, keeps you from going into whatever your high gear is, be it 6th, 5th or 4th gear. It is nothing like the T/H mode that we've been talking about.

Posted By: dog bone on 09/08/09 07:26am

dmorgan wrote:

if you have the 7.4 you probably have the overdrive trans. ford started putting a new trans behind the 6.0. that was the t/h trans. it operates about the same as an allison in a chevy. it was called an electric torque shift or something along those lines.

Posted By: ArkieVet on 09/08/09 10:15am

BCTrucker wrote:

On an F-350 the Tow haul mode is a programming setting working with the transmission and the engine, you will notice in tow haul if you make an application with the service brake the transmission will downshift and help to slow you down or maintain the speed you are at, a firm sustained brake application will cause the transmission to drop a second gear, the first time or two this happens it may scare you but to pick up the gear again steady sustained throttle pressure will cause the tranny to upshift again, as well will upshift later on acceleration or hill climbing, when travelling I travel in tow haul when accelerating, de-celerating, hill climbing, downhill, and city driving. At highway speeds on mostly flat or slight grades I turn the tow haul feature off.

Ditto, except that I turn it off in rolling hills, like the Texas Hill Country. Better mpg by preventing it from downshifting while coasting a bit down each hill or gently applying the brakes to stay closer to the speed limit. And, on flat land, I don't see where it makes much difference, either way.

BTW, the "speed limit" I'm referring to is the speed rating limit of the trailer's tires (65 mph.)

Retired U.S. Army SFC ('67 - '88)
(Infantry, AG Corps)
Nam Vet - Infantry (68-69-70 & 71-72)
2009 F350 Crew Cab Dually PSD Tow Boss
2009 Cameo F35SB3 w/TST TPMS
Life Member MOPH and DAV
KC5UCN

Posted By: jetboat on 09/08/09 11:27am

i asked this question a while back,after reading the responces,it now makes sence.i worried about the additional rpms and the constent changing of the gears.I have a 04 f350 super duty.our local ford dealer says the fords trannys will hold up very well without the tow haul mode on.so, is not turned on.we have a 35'sandpiper 5th.and the weight i think is around 12plus,our milage is around 11 to 12,and dont kow if any the milage will get better or worse with it on.all you ford guts speak out!.

Posted By: dog bone on 09/08/09 03:03pm

jetboat wrote:

i asked this question a while back,after reading the responces,it now makes sence.i worried about the additional rpms and the constent changing of the gears.I have a 04 f350 super duty.our local ford dealer says the fords trannys will hold up very well without the tow haul mode on.so, is not turned on.we have a 35'sandpiper 5th.and the weight i think is around 12plus,our milage is around 11 to 12,and dont kow if any the milage will get better or worse with it on.all you ford guts speak out!.

if you are out of t/h it will take longer for the trans to down shift when going up a hill. you will lose all your momentum. the engine will start to lug. the engine temp's will rise. then it will down shift.
high gear in t/h is the same as out of t/h. t/h just shifts faster when it realizes that the rpm and power is falling when climbing a hill.
as other posters said it also aids you in going down a hill. it will hold you back. that will save your brakes. if you overheat your brakes you will lose them, they will not work.
you can not put an exhaust brake on a ford, with out spending a lot of money. the 6.0's have a flexible fan in the turbine.
i use my t/h everytime i'm towing.

Posted By: sirdrakejr on 09/08/09 04:00pm

Moved from 5th wheels to tow vehicles.
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

Posted By: 4*phun*2 on 09/08/09 06:04pm

Yes Tow Haul will use more fuel because the trans will downshift quicker than with Tow Haul off. I use Tow Haul more for braking going down than pulling going up.

Glenn & Karen
'08 Chevy LT 3500 HD 4x4 CC LB DRW (nice hips)
'06 F350 4X4 Lariat CC LB DRW (nice hips) retired
'09 Victory Lane 38SRV Toy Hauler
'02 HD Road King FLHRCI KRUZN
'04 F150 XLT Super Crew
Our Toys

Posted By: BenK on 09/08/09 09:04pm

NorthernNeck,VA wrote:

Yesterday while driving home I forgot to turn on my Tow Haul on my 05 F350, 6.0. When I got home I realized that my fuel mileage actually went up and that my truck seemed to pull with less straining and shifting. I'm pulling a 36ft King of the Road.

My question is: Should I leave it off when pulling my 5er and what does the tow haul mode actually do?

We are leaving in less than 3 weeks for Maine and I am wondering if I should leave it off to increase my fuel mileage but I don't want to do any harm to the truck.

Thanks.

Tow / Hot link to Haul Functions
Quote:

Automatic Transmissions on todays vehicles are the MOST complex systems, and has
it's own computer.

A non-Tow/Haul auto tranny will kill itself towing heavy in tough conditions. The
driver is expected to manage it with throttle and shifting the lever.

A Tow/Haul button is for those who don't know HOW2 manage or is not willing to
do so and let the computer do it for them.

Simply put, the way an auto tranny works is it's own weakness. The
shearing of the fluid creates heat. Enough to burn the fluid if not
managed right. Why lock up was invented and the tow/haul button invented.

The Tow/Haul button changes the tranny computer software (look up tables) so
that it will know it's towing/hauling something heavy and needs to pay attention
to the various sensors (mainly temp, or over temp).

It should manage it all the way from Zero speed to max speed, where it will
even limit the max speed to something less than if not towing.

If you have anything hooked up, use the Tow/Haul button...

do a search and you'll find tons on this topic, along with the ask 10
and get 11 answers/opinions.

Hot link to 08 F350 and Tow Haul Mode
Hot link to Chevy tow haul mileage
Hot link to tow button
Hot link to tow/haul
Hot link to Who tows in Overdrive

How much does a replacement/rebuild automatic tranny cost? How much
money will be saved by the apparent fuel savings?

How close to the GCWR are you and do you know enough about the margins
dialed in by the OEM for your TV's setup vs the GCWR you are actually
at?

It will do it okay for a while, but if close or over the GCWR or real
MTWR, it will kill the automatic sooner than later because without the
T/H button engaged, it goes into OD/etc more often for MPG vs good
towing metrics (longevity of the components and systems).

When towing without engaging the T/H button, know to watch the various
temp (coolant, engine, tranny, etc) and shift down into a lower gear
BEFORE it reaches too hot a temp. Watch your tach to make sure the
engine is in it's optimum torque portion of it's torque curve vs load
and RPMs.

You don't have control over the fuel trim, unless you have a dyanmic
tuner hooked. It will enrichen the fuel trim in order to keep the
temps down and to save the engine from harm.

Nor do you have control over the automatic trannies pressure regulator
for the valve body. As the T/H button will change the tranny look up
tables to shift harder, at a higher PSI and sooner. Don't know if
any dynamic tuner will have this function available.

(this is in response to a PM, not to the OP)

* This post was edited 09/08/09 09:15pm by BenK *

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Posted By: jetboat on 09/12/09 08:12am

so! conclusion with fords 6.0. have read the aboved metioned statements,so i guess higher rpms,longer shifting points,seam to be the norm.theres a racing term called "pedeling " the pedal.when the tow hal is on,find myself doing this so much,that i finally take it of and just drive,sometimes pedeling.now i'am really confused!

Print  |  Close