RV.Net Open Roads Forum: North Carolina: OBX storm hunt Pt I & Pt II & Pt III & Pt IV

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> North Carolina: OBX storm hunt Pt I & Pt II & Pt III & Pt IV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
kennyzzz

buffalo new york

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/09 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

can't wait for some pictures.
bummer about lowering the top , bit better safe then sorry
but i remember from earlier posts is that you can sit in the the booth with the top down.

Chevy 2008 1500 X-cab 5.3 373 posi 4x4 z-71
2003 jayco quest 190 4059 lbs.
2004 Northern light 8.5

CptnBG

Salem and Smith Mtn Lake, Va

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/09 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Highway 12 webcam

'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/09 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey OBX:

Hwy 12 cam cool!

Avon was under water earlier today! Our clearance was OK.

Got lots of pix of flooding!

In Waves currently...a bit of sun, now raining.

Campsites are real cheap here: $55 a night!

Surf is incredible; about 9-foot shore breakers, brutal. Wind from north~northeast 25 MPH. Supposed to change to northwest by 4 AM. Doing a 6 mile beach walk...later...

Sand & Dunes

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/09 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...here's a few teaser photos...we're under another incredible storm. Our connection is nearly ZERO! because of storm conditions.

1st Landing, VA encampment, 200 feet from beach:

[image]

Silversand hunting for storms coming in from offshore in Norfolk, VA:

[image]

Us attempting to navigate through Dare County, in North Carolina under flood conditions:

[image]

[image]

...no way to do trip reports....have intermittent wifi; will do more later...camper really rocking in wind this moment! May bring roof down, don't know...surf is brutal, sounds like freight train.

Silver-

* This post was edited 09/08/09 07:50pm by silversand *

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/09 04:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hunting Hurricane: Part I

We left Quebec, warm weather, dry and sunny and decided on a way South, to stop at Chimney Point, Vermont. The talks have been a lot on Champlain and his discoveries, and as we are celebrating the explorer’s accomplishments, we stopped at the museum and visited:

[image]

[image]

Adjacent to an exhibition of ancient maps of the Lake Champlain region, the “Old Inn” tavern had been painstakingly preserved:

[image]

Our stop was not too long, South here we come. Unfortunately no direct road to the 87, and we ended up visiting the Adirondack back country, not at all in the plan. Finally on the 87 and we stopped for our first night in NY, at Saugerties/Woodstock. As Silversand mentioned “we missed the concert” but by a few decades-- thinking we could hear the echoes of the ‘60s.

1st Landing, VA:

The next day, a long drive to First Landing State Park…the best part for me: crossing the Bridge/Tunnel drive!

[image]

[image]

Labour Day weekend….we had no choice but to set up at the primitive site, which seemed more an overflow parking….however we had a view of the ocean! A brisk walk on the beach and then some reading …. And suddenly I realized that I am alone….where did “the hunter” go?

[image]

and later on, again I was alone at the camper and a storm was coming….no wi-fi connection thus no way to check the local weather and satellite, we have to wing it with our weather instruments: showing something was coming, but from where? When?

[image]

Silversand was searching for cloud action, he was focusing the wrong side of the beach, wrong direction…Campie and I were closer to the apparently impending storm…:

[image]

Meanwhile, Silversand’s hurricane hunting was not yielding any hint of any worthy tropical depression…yet….I recall the count: hurricane 0, uneventful rain 1, deer grazing on the Interstate 13, and say what Silversand ? No hurricane, so tiger hunting the only logical alternative ?

[image]

Well, Silversand better start hunting lunch because Silverdunes is starving. We headed up for local sea food at a highly-recommended restaurant on the waterfront.

[image]

No not the bird, Silversand, put down that cross-bow, we’re on the ocean, we eat sea food!

[image]

We park at Dockside and enjoyed shrimp, crabs, tilapia and a heaping entre of calamare with several excellent beers in frosted mugs. The sun made an appearance, albeit briefly for an hour and we rush back to the beach for a very long hike till sunset; returning on the beach in pitch black at 10 PM we were barely able to distinguish our trail over the sand dunes back to Campie (no moon; heavy cloud = zero light at night).

[image]

[image]

[image]

And then the lumbering low hit in earnest; the brutal wind too, and the night sleep was interrupted by the rig shaking and torrential waves of rain slamming into our port side…we should have closed Campie, but with no access to radar, we couldn’t predict any precise moment of impact….until late that night then too late. The fire hose like rain blasting the port soft wall was overwhelming, beads of water started in along 3 seams, but nothing a few hand towels couldn’t immediately keep at bay….we then made the decision to closed Campie. It was torrential, muddy around the camper, at least a foot of water and sandy mud completely surrounded the rig around and under us, and with flips flops…well, tearing around the camper was quite slippery and and in pitch-black night Silversand decided to have a mud bath (not voluntarily – explaining the papers, un deposited checks, licenses, documents, passwords in his pockets wet, destroyed and others in fairly bad shape). I really couldn’t laughed, at least overtly…I was enjoying being in the wet warm tropical deluge….and too dark for pics, with no underwater camera. Well, you’ll have to imagine the predicament

We ended up moving at dawn from our totally flooded camp and headed out to Starbucks to get a connection to the Internet. The radio had said rain overnight….this was a storm with gale wind and torrential rain. We met a bay ship pilot having a coffee. He mentioned that many were caught off guard…that the low shifted nearly unpredictably, that Norfolk would be getting what the Outer banks had gotten and was still getting (over 9 inches of driven rain in a 24-hour period!). Forget “tiger hunting”, we’re in it. What we came looking for; the tropical depression! Yeah baby, let’s rock & roll into the flooded coastal areas of North Carolina, fast.

We saw streets flooded, winds were creating curtains of rain, cars were hydroplaning, many multi-car accidents we'd passed...quite a mess. Two cappuccinos at Starbucks, that did help, though with air conditioning and us totally soaking wet...not the best combination.

On our road to the OBX, we found more and more floods, Virginia Beach/Norfolk was not the only region with issues…

[image]

We “landed” at Waves on the tiny spit of sand blocking the Atlantic tens of miles offshore of mainland, selecting the campground to be as near the ocean as possible (like 200 feet away!). Only 15-foot sand dunes separate us from the rip currents of the north-easter tearing up the Atlantic currently, sounding like a constant freight train unending. The waves are gigantic, grayish with lots of white; wind shearing off their crests, blowing salt spray as far as our campsite. The sun shines between clouds quite intensely; huge ominous black storms still surrounding…I took no pics as yet at Waves...too absorbed by the beauty of the ocean.

More tomorrow...

Our location below: Camp Hattaras RV Resorts (and other surrounding campgrounds for your info):

[image]

* This post was last edited 09/09/09 05:19am by silversand *   View edit history

skipbee

Glen Arm,Md. 21057 USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/09 06:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If that low had formed a little more southerly it would have been named "Fred". And the joking would have ended. We foolishly decided to ride out Tropical Storm "Ernesto" 9/2/07 on Assateague Island, As we were setting up a guy pulled into the site next to us, where a newer popup up trailer was deployed. My anemometer was showing a steady 30 mph,I figured he was going to close up the camper. He didn't, he grabbed some stuff and drove off. Two hours later the wind was up to 50mph gusting to 65mph when the popup disintagrated,the canvas shredded, clothes, mattresses. coolers blew all down across the campground. We had to bring in the slideout as it was bouncing and bucking. In the middle of the night Linda wispered in my ear,"You better go up and check the anchors!" We were somewhat protected from the blowing sand in the "H" loop of the Maryland State Campground, but one of the Ranger's new pickup was more exposed and the paint was sand blasted off of one side.
The forecast was for the storm to head more westerly, but as it came north it veered to the right, and passed over us. Had it intensified we could have been in trouble trying to cross the bridge to the mainland. It was stupid of us to stay on the Island. We were just lucky, not smart. When tropical lows are coming leave. The one thing I have learned after living 24 years on a sailing vessel mostly in the Hurricane zones, is that Hurricanes do not watch TV or listen to forecasts. Sand and salt spray intruded into the storage compartments,it blew into the drain holes on the windows and soaked the adjacent areas, when the water temps are 80 degs and upwards anything can happen, that is the temperature required for Hurrricane formation. There were 8 campers that chose to stay, some tents that dissappeared, noone will do that again.

* This post was last edited 09/09/09 07:33am by skipbee *   View edit history

skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/09 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What an excellent adventure you both are having. I say excellent because you seem to have "weathered the storm" in fine shape and are looking for more. Can't imagine having to close down the Campie due to winds. What a story to hear around a calm campfire sometime, right up to the point of using your crossbow to hunt for dinner on the dock. [emoticon] Hope you both are no longer feeling "under the weather."

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/09 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Sands or is that Wet Sands? Be sure and put this trip into Trip Reports. Nice to see a beach again without cliffs of rock to climb down. You made my mouth water talking about that good old Southern seafood. Stay dry!

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

Tbone54

Lexington,SC

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/09 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Silversand, We will be at Edisto Beach State Park just south of Charleston SC starting Monday Sept 14 thru Saturday Sept 19 on site 44 in the beach front campground. If yall happen to be in the area feel free to stop by for some cold brews and Beaufort stew. And if Hurricane Fred stays away, I could take yall for a boat ride through the Ace Basin. We may even stop at the Beaufort waterfront for a shrimp burger for lunch.

2000 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas drinker
2002 Lance 835
2000 Sea Hunt 172/Honda 90

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/09 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Batten the hatches! Lower the mainsail! Drop the top?!!! [emoticon] I suppose it's too late to admonish you about being careful what you ask for?

Watch yourselves out there.... we don't need a "disaster reports" coordinator on the forum.

The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> North Carolina: OBX storm hunt Pt I & Pt II & Pt III & Pt IV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS