Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: KZ owner needs help!

Posted By: ch47d99 on 09/05/09 11:58am

I am currently camping and having hot water heater issues. I have a KZ Spree 318 BHS. I was trying to run the hot water heater off gas so I turned on the switch in the bathroom (HTR). Nothing. So then I turn on the electric heat element switch outside behind the panel. The heater is working, but then I run into power shortage issues running other things. Am I trying to heat the water correctly by gas or is my system broken? Do you have to have both switches on for the gas? I looked at my owner's manuals, but they leave a lot to be desired.

Posted By: Dick A on 09/05/09 12:04pm

Moved from General RV'ing forum.

2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
"Pisqually" the attack kitty

Posted By: Luke Porter on 09/05/09 12:12pm

Do you have a small toggle switch with a red light? That starts the gas.

Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Posted By: Homer on 09/05/09 12:26pm

I'M a little confused. Isn't your gas system firing up, or is it a case where the water is hot, but you aren't getting hot water at the faucets? The first possibility might be soot on top of your burner blocking it, or a host of electrical problems. The second will require the replacement of the check valves at the rear of your HWH. If it is soot on the burner, that is simple, just blow it out with low pressure air. Takes all of two minutes.

Posted By: ch47d99 on 09/05/09 12:47pm

I tried the red light switch. I will check for the soot, but this will be the second time the system is used so I would be surprised if there was build up. The water will get hot by the electric option, but I am not getting gas heating.

Posted By: BadGoose on 09/05/09 12:56pm

I have the same model and all I need to do is turn on the red switch in the bathroom to enable the gas hot water heater. The outside switch in the heater door controls the electric. The only thing I can think to check is make sure the propane valves are open and check all the 12v fuses.

Brian

Brian
2003 Ford Excursion 6.8 V10
2003 Outback 28 BHS

Posted By: edwardr132 on 09/05/09 03:10pm

Make sure that your refrigerator is running on LPG too... Also make sure that you still have LPG in your tanks.

Posted By: Donny D on 09/05/09 03:17pm

Make sure your propane is on, then try to light the stove to ensure that the LP is getting from the tanks to the trailer. You may have to try the red light switch more than once to make sure the pilot lights. You could also use a bbq lighter and light the pilot yourself.

2010 F-150 FX2 crew cab
2009 KZ Spree 240BHS
Me
DW
DD's '93 & '95
DS '94
My best friend Jake our red fox Lab '07

"Old enough to know better, Still to young to care"

Posted By: ch47d99 on 09/05/09 07:17pm

I checked the burners...no issue there. In speaking to a tech, I need to let the water cool down from the electric element and then try again. I ran it off gas on our first trip with the refrigerator on electric without any issues. I guess more problem shooting in store for tomorrow.

Posted By: miltvill on 09/05/09 09:35pm

You have to make sure gas is getting to your hot water heater. That is why you light a stove burner and see if your fridge will run on gas. If they work on gas then you know your gas works and you have most of the air is out of the gas line.

2008 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, 3.73 rear end, tow package, Prodigy Brake Controller, Equal-i-zer Hitch.
Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Posted By: ch47d99 on 09/06/09 06:49am

Good to go on burners and the refrigerator. I guess my water heater is just jacked up. Nice. I have had this travel trailer for all of 5 months. This does not fill me with confidence on the durability of my KZ.

Posted By: I am still wayne_tw on 09/06/09 07:14am

ch47d99 wrote:

Good to go on burners and the refrigerator. I guess my water heater is just jacked up. Nice. I have had this travel trailer for all of 5 months. This does not fill me with confidence on the durability of my KZ.

I am not so sure the ater heater is defective. If you heated the water with the electric, then switch on the gas, it will not light as the thermostat is not calling to heat the water. You probably have a direct ignition heater that does not have a standing pilot light. When the thermostat calls to heat the water, the gas valve opens and an ignitior lights the gas. When the water is heated, the gas valve closes and the burner goes out.

Posted By: RKW on 09/06/09 08:11am

ch47d99 wrote:

It's not a KZ brand water heater. Post the make and model number of the water heater and we might be able to come up with a better diagnosis than "jacked up".

Ryan

• 2007 GMC Sierra Classic
  • 1994 Salem 24RK
  • Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

• Posted By: ch47d99 on 09/06/09 08:26am

Suburban 6 gallon DE. My last post was a little tongue in cheek as I know it is not a "KZ" water heater, but it is disappointing to already start having issues.

I notice a clicking noise when I turn the red switch on. Is this normal? Also, when the gas is working properly should I see a flame in the heater closet on the outside. Is there a place where I can try to light the heater manually?

Posted By: CampSight on 09/08/09 05:52pm

You sure the water heater isn't by-passed and that you actually have water in it? If you run the electric element with an empty tank, you might be replacing it soon.

Posted By: Shogun on 09/08/09 07:08pm

I had a similar problem with my fridge, it appears there was a fair bit of air that had to be purged before it would ignite.

My water heater is at the rear of the trailer on the opposite side from all the other gas appliances. I have a feeling it would take 4-5 trys before it would work, I must try this at some point.

Spree 318bhs. Blue Ox Sway Pro WD hitch.
    Primary tow vehicle 2008 F350 V10 Crew cab.
    Back-up tow vehicle 2005 4Runner V8 Limited.

Posted By: gheicher on 09/10/09 02:40pm

My hot water heater would not light on propane. It was getting gas as I could tell from the smell at the outside cover. Turned out to be a spider web in the burner tube. Disassembled the burner tube and cleaned it with a bottle brush, now it works like new. (The manual says to do this routinely, but how many of us do it)

Posted By: Doug33 on 09/09/09 12:16pm

Hmmmmm......makes me kind of glad my KZ only has a manual light gas water heater. Although that can be a royal pain sometimes as well.

* This post was edited 09/09/09 05:29pm by an administrator/moderator *

2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
    2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4 3.73 gear
    Equalizer hitch
    Nights spent RV'ing in 2013: 22
    Next trip: April 2014
    RV'ing since 1991, camping since 1961

Posted By: ch47d99 on 09/09/09 07:09am

Stove and heater work fine. I tried blowing this out yesterday and a lot of soot type of stuff came out. It still will not light though. The electric side works fine. Red light switch comes on and stays on. I hear the click go through three cycles and then it locks out. I tried this about 5 times yesterday. I am taking it back to the dealer on Sat.

Posted By: Kampfirekid on 09/09/09 06:18am

I run water through until all the air is purged. Then flip the gas switch on. Be advised that on the K-Z, the switches are backwards. When they are pushed down on the bottom, they are off, not on like anormal light switch. Also, the red light will come on only to let you know the gas pilot is lighting, then go off. The electric rod in the heater is controlled by the switch in the bathroom, but also has a switch in the lower left outside and is kind ofhiddem to the left of the heater drain plug. If you hear the igniter, you probably have the a gas issue if it's not lighting. Check to see you have gas, the valve is open, and that the indicator on the switchover is green. Otherwise, a spider may have found a home in your propane nozzle in the heater. Does your stove and heater work?

2013 Ford 350 Superduty Lariat. 6.7L Stock. Loaded.
    2011 Jayco Flight G2 32BHDS

Posted By: rdrector on 09/08/09 06:35pm

I have the same trailer. When brand new it took a couple attempts to purge all the air out of the line up to the water heater. The heater will not ignite till you begin demanding water from it. I leave my electric on all the time then place the gas switch to on prior to taking showers. Within minutes of using the shower the gas kicks in. Try sitting outside before someone uses the shower next time, it may try igniting (clicking) the first couple times before it comes on depending how often the gas is used.
    By the way, being the water heater is made by Suburban, I don't see how the durability of KZ comes into play, maybe you could explain that?

2013 Jayco Eagle 324 BTS
    2010 KZ Spree 318BHS
    2006 KZ Frontier 2405
    2007 Dodge Quad 4x4 CTD 4.10

Posted By: 5onadime on 09/06/09 05:59pm

After you hear the clicking noise does the red light come on or stay off? If the light comes on it is not working (didn't light) if the light does not come on the the water heater is working and will take about 15 min to fully heat up. We have a KZ 289KS and previously had a KZ frontier we have had NO problems with our KZs.

Posted By: Angus_NB on 09/06/09 01:45pm

I can answer 1 out of 3.
    The clicking noise in the electronic lighter.
    I've never looked to see if there is a visible flame. Don't know about the manual lighter either.

2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 DC
    2009 KZ Spree 261RKS
    Reese Dual Cam HP / Prodigy P3
    2 Black Labs - Lucy (Her) & Tosha (Him)

Posted By: RKW on 09/06/09 02:04pm

ch47d99 wrote:

Suburban 6 gallon DE.

I notice a clicking noise when I turn the red switch on. Is this normal? Also, when the gas is working properly should I see a flame in the heater closet on the outside. Is there a place where I can try to light the heater manually?

The clicking noise is the direct ignition trying to light the burner. It will try 2-3 times and than stop trying until you reset the main on/off switch located inside. Locate the external cover for your water heater and open it. From there you can observe the flame and ignition lighter. It's not a good idea to light the heater manually.

Go here and download the service manual for your water heater. It's a pdf file so you have to be capable of a pdf download. Then go here and watch the video on RV water heater maintenance. At 2:00 into the video he shows how to blow out the burner area. There are even better vids there on the same topic that are more informative. Search them out also.

Until you prove otherwise to yourself, assume your burner and/or the ignitor has been fouled by crud that's fallen from the flue. Thats the simplest and most likely cause.

Print  |  Close