|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> WW FS 2500 Battery Converter replacement

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
frisbeedata

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/09 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Rv.Net,

I am a noobie so that said:

I have a 2007 WW FS 2500 Superlite. When we go dry camping with 6 ppl, we are very hard on the stock 12V batteries. So I decided to change the 2 12V batteries for 2 6v golf cart batteries from costco, wired in series. That part is fine. Everything good.

I also decided to change the IOTA DLS-30 to an IOTA DLS-55 M with IQ4. Reason is I thought that the generator would charge the batteries faster using the DLS-55 versus the DLS-30. Running generator less = better. That is the only reason on swapping out the DLS-30 for the DLS-55. Unfortunately the IOTA blinks 12 x on startup, thinking I have a 24V system which I definitely only have a 12V system.

Do I have a defective unit? I mean I only have 2 6V costo golf cart batteries on the tongue. They are wired in series, checked with a meter and I am at 12.65v. Not sure what else I could have done wrong.

Please advise, hints. Thank you.

rich

928gt

Western North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/09 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When the Iota is attached to the batteries and plugged into 110V what voltage is it outputting?

I just updated my Iota 30 w/IQ4 to a 55 IQ4 also, but I currently have 2 12v Group 27 batteries. I am now using the 30 just for charging my separate Winch and Inverter Battery bank.

David

2007 Weekend Warrior LE3505 Billet Edition
2005 F-350 DRW CC LB 4x4 Tow Boss w/Tow Command

frisbeedata

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/09 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Checked at the batteries at the tongue, 12.41 v.

Checked at where the battery and 12v fuse buss attaches to the bottom of the IOTA DLS-55 M / wIQ4 and it's 12.38v.

The IQ4 green light flashes twice 11 times, then once 12 times. Then repeats the pattern. I'll call wind-sun tomorrow or IOTA and see if this actually means anything.

It should only be flashing 6 times repeating pattern for a 12v system. No 110V AC power is attached to the IOTA, only the batteries.

Thanks.

rich

frisbeedata

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/09 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Called IOTA, the voltage is measured immediately when battery power is applied. Then it shows whether the batteries are at full charge or in need of charge. So the DLS-55 shows 6 flashes on startup which means it detects a 12v system. I was seeing the flashes *after* battery power was applied showing my batteries needed charging...

Removed the positive end to the battery, turned the DLS-55 on, and 13.6v where the wires to the battery and 12 V bus of the camper connect.

So it maybe a wire gauge issue. I think the existing wiring to the positive side of the 12v battery was undersized, perhaps 12 or 16 gauge. When I 1st turned on the DLS-55, the power melted a 40AMP auto fuse holder. IOTA said it needed to be 8 gauge. So going to re-wire the positive side and use 8 gauge with 60 AMP fuse.

rich

928gt

Western North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/09 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, those IOTA 55s will pop a 30 or 40 amp fuse quickly!!

I redid my original small wiring from the old 30 amp to the batteries with 2 gauge battery cable since it was over a 12 foot distance from the charger to the batteries. I also got a Buss 60 Amp Weatherproof Circuit Breaker and bypassed the small 30 Amp rated original fuse buss.

frisbeedata

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/09 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

>> I also got a Buss 60 Amp Weatherproof Circuit Breaker and bypassed the small 30 Amp rated original fuse buss.

How do you bypass the original 30 AMP original fuse buss if you don't mind me asking? Because right now at the IOTA, there are 2 sets of 8 gauge wires going to the IOTA positive and negative; one set goes to the 12v bus fuse box inside the small electrical bay, and the other set I assume goes to the batteries on the tongue of the WW FS 2500.

Rich

frisbeedata

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/09 02:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This one?

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/accessories/marine/circuit_breaker.aspx

Where did you mount it?

rich

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/09 02:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I would have tried the IQ controller with the 30 amp and see how that goes.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

928gt

Western North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/09 02:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smkettner wrote:

I think I would have tried the IQ controller with the 30 amp and see how that goes.

I did, and it worked fine, but I am adding a winch and an inverter on a seperate battery system and needed another converter/charger so I upgraded to the 55 amp w/IQ4 for the main setup for faster charging, and am using the 30 amp w/IQ4 for the less used separate winch/inverter battery setup.

* This post was edited 09/14/09 03:08pm by 928gt *

928gt

Western North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/09 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

frisbeedata wrote:

This one?

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/accessories/marine/circuit_breaker.aspx

Where did you mount it?

rich

Yes.

Since I have a 5th wheel I have a huge battery compartment at the front for mounting stuff like that.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> WW FS 2500 Battery Converter replacement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS