|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Important info for us RVers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
we_rv

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/09 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kernewek wrote:

Would be hard to go through life being that paranoid

There's a difference between being paranoid and being aware of potential problems.

There are common sense things we can do to increase the likelihood that all will be well. That does not mean that once we have done those things we will sit around the campfire chewing our fingernails.

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/09 12:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unbelievable. I posted this here because most of us are away from home more than most folks, often for extended periods of time. 4 posters got the message. Two made a joke out of it. 5 don't want to think about it. 6 are going to kill the guy (hard to do if you're not home) and (OMG) one thought that a thief sent me an EMail.
Look - no one can stop a determined thief but there are a few common sense things we can all do to make life more difficult for them. Lock your doors and windows. Tell a neighbor when you're leaving on a trip and when you expect to be home. When you let a stranger into your home for repairs or a delivery, give the house a once-over when they leave. It beats coming home from a wonderful trip to find your home ransacked.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Sea Dog

Ontario Can.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/09 02:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazing!
Sounds like before leaving for the winter, I will need some deadbolts, a alarm system, a really mean dog, a shotgun, and a cop next door.
On the other hand, maybe I will just stop the papers, turn down the thermostat and leave.
Seems easier that way.

Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

leeman

DeRidder, Louisiana, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/09 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP did not mention kinfolks. I guess normally that you would expect kinfolks to look after your place while you are gone, and rightfully so.
My son in law of course knew that we were gone, and the little scamp (nice way of putting it) broke into my garage and stole my Polaris Ranger and sold it while we were gone. Fortunately, being the dumb*** that he is, he left enough "footprints" that it was not hard to figure out that it was an "inside" job and the local sheriff picked him and the Polaris up before nightfall.
Now he is on felony probation and if he goes near our house while we are gone, he will go back to prison.
Our neighbor is also a deputy, so he watches out for us.

leeman
Rarin' to roam. Don't fence me in.

Matthew_B

The boonies near Dallas, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/09 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CloudDriver wrote:

Our next door neighbor is a K9 officer. The dog and patrol car come home with him when he gets off work. While no guarantee, it makes us feel better having the patrol car parked in the street. We do keep doors & windows locked, use timer lights and a radio when we are away.

I live near a SWAT officer. Some thieves broke in when they were out and stole all of the guns, ammo, grenades, body armor and radios that he had stashed in the car and house.

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/09 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our next door neighbor is a K9 officer. The dog and patrol car come home with him when he gets off work. While no guarantee, it makes us feel better having the patrol car parked in the street. We do keep doors & windows locked, use timer lights and a radio when we are away.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450

Linda2u

Auburn, Ca USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/09 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's what I pay Brinks for, plus have a good neighbor, plus send the kids ups to check things out often, plus have cameras positioned at stragic areas of the property. And, if all that fails, we do have insurance.

MonkeyBomb

Front Range Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/09 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its simple advise that is very true. It's really hard to feel sorry for someone who leaves their door unlocked and won't even take basic security measures and their house gets broken into.

It never ceases to amaze me when someone is shocked they got burglarized yet they never bother to do simple free things to protect themselves. No one should ever have to suffer any loss because someone else is a predator. But the fact is those predators are among us and looking for a fresh victim every minute of the day. I choose to make them think twice about hitting my place and moving on to an easier target.

Does this mean my house will never get hit. Not at all. But they face a great risk when they try or actually make it into the place. They take a great chance of getting caught by the police or me. Either way it won't be a happy time for them.

Do yourself a favor and lock your doors take basic precautions. Keep your serial numbers on electronics and high dollar items. Ifyou get broken in to have it for the police so they actually stand a chance of getting it back and arresting the people who did it.

2005 Flagstaff 26RGS
2009 Dodge 3/4 ton
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

corglet

Colorful Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/09 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it's all good advice and I thank you.

I'd add have someone take care of the lawn (maybe pay that neighbor kid to mow the lawn) if it's a long trip rving away from the stick house. Maybe lock down your nice grill. My dog sitter (for taking care of the 2 or 3 dogs I leave at home while traveling with 2 or 3 - I have a lot of dogs) also will take in the mail and anything left on the front porch, do the watering in and out, close and open curtains.

LEN Retired

SW Michigan ( Two Paws )

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/09 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

all which was listed are good. I have said it b4, a good audable alarm system will make short time of the B&E-er on site, they dont want to get caught so will not remain long after the blairing sound starts, however we can bar our doors and windows and that one thief will be persistant on gaining access, but,,,we have to make it hard for them even though it means damage to our property. I always leave my garage door closed "home or not" and never leave the paper in the box overnight and always have neighbors be the neighborhood watch. My dobie normally is barker when someone walks or drives past and the bad guys always look for the easy pick. Mine is not that one! Bill

06 GMC 2500HD Duramax, 2007 Holiday Rambler Alumascape Suite 32SKT,3 slide 5th wheel " SEMPER FIDELIS "
Jasmine, 2006-2013 RIP.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Important info for us RVers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS