RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Best Route Through Atlanta

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Best Route Through Atlanta

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
robinandbob

Rossville, GA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/09 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SATTERFIELD wrote:

My brother lives just outside Atlanta. His recommendation is early, early morning prior to the rush hour......4am the best or between 10am and 3pm.

Having lived in GA and driving in that area I would strongly recommend the very early morning idea. I can't tell you how many times I sat in traffic in the middle of the day for no other reason than someone screwed up.

S. Mid. TN
98 Fleetwood Discovery 36T
4 big dogs 2 cats, Silkies and Guineas
orchids & epis

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/09 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I expect you will want to catch I-85 north at some point. Coming from west and getting on 75/85 connector near downtown will cause you to have to make a pretty steep turn to get down on the connector. Instead, why don't you take a look at staying on I-20 through town to I-285 on the east side of Atlanta and then catch 285 back to the north. Exit on the I-85 north toward Greenville. There are fewer trucks and traffic on that part of 285 and the lanes are a bit wider. Then I-85 north is a snap until just past the 985 cut-off (Gainesville Connector. When you get on 85 from 285, work your way over to about mid road and then find a lane going the speed you like and stay with it.
Hope this helps, I run that area weekly.

Mountain Lover

Waynesville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/09 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good advise about Atlanta, but if you do want to go through Knoxville, the grade is actually more gentle through I40 from the NC line to Asheville than any other way you can come to Asheville. Yes, it does have curves but the grade is spread over 20 miles instead of 5 miles on I26 or Hwy 23/441.

Mountain Lover
KB4BT
2010 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Auto
2003 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Man
2009 Jayco EXP 17C

brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/09 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go straight through, do not take the 285 bypass as that is now the truck route, it is terrible. The trucks are no longer allowed to travel through the middle of Atlanta except for delivers, which as made the bypass a mess. I normally try to go through Atlanta on a Sunday, normally fly right through.

Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

roscoe

Priveledged resident of the gorgeous hudson valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/09 09:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try not to take the exit that dumps you onto Peach tree St at 5 PM Friday.Although a bit tight it was pretty.

shotputguy

Cocoa Beach,FL US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/09 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always go right thru as it is the quickest, but you must pick the right time of day. I pull a 34' 5th wheel(early sunday is the best)

Don't know how to do signature

catman2130093

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/09 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brobox wrote:

Go straight through, do not take the 285 bypass as that is now the truck route, it is terrible. The trucks are no longer allowed to travel through the middle of Atlanta except for delivers, which as made the bypass a mess. I normally try to go through Atlanta on a Sunday, normally fly right through.
I lived 17 miles north of downtown Atlanta for 37 years. Brobox is right-go thru Atl early as you can stand it. 285 is horrendous, and guaranteed, if it's Friday rush hour and raining, there will be a semi-truck on it's side blocking all lanes. I live in Florida now, but I still go back to Atlanta almost weekly. Straight through early Sunday morning!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Best Route Through Atlanta
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS