|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Air Tabs

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/09 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After following the nose cone thread, air tabs(vortex generators) came up. Has anyone tried these on their TT. Is it alright to stick them on the rubber roof?

thomhack

central florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/17/09 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not used them, and if I did I would not put them on the rubber roof.

2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27.5 bhs, 2005 f-250 power stroke diesel,

Gadget Guy

Calgary

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/09 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are usually enough items on your roof to break up the air currents. Where you need them is on the sides of your unit. I have had them on my MH for 3 years. Work great.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/09 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gadget Guy, when you say they work great, what do you mean? Better mpg? Handling? I see the tabs on big truck trailers, but seldom on RVs.

Thanks in advance for the info!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Airstreamer67

Pineville, LA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/09 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had AirTabs on the sides and top of my 28-foot trailer for the past three years or so.

I have not found any measurable difference in mileage, although some users have.

However, I have found they do add to stability on the road. Especially noticeable is when traveling in high winds and when being passed by heavy haulers.

Also noticeable is the additional rear vision when driving in rain, and the much cleaner rear end as a result of the altered driven-wind patterns at the rear.

I did not install them on the TPO (rubber like) roof material. Instead, I had enough room on the fiberglass body at the rear to place the full base of the AirTabs. This left about a half inch or so of the skinny trailing end of the AirTab hanging over the edge where the trailer body curves down. I probably didn't have to do it, but I put some silicone at the very rear bottom of the AirTabs, which "filled the gap." As I said, this wasn't really necessary, but it made me feel useful to do something rather than letting them hang over out there a little bit. I theorize the silicone, by filling the gap, keeps them from possibly wagging in the airstream. :-).

Gadget Guy

Calgary

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/09 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Gadget Guy, when you say they work great, what do you mean? Better mpg? Handling? I see the tabs on big truck trailers, but seldom on RVs.

Thanks in advance for the info!

As in earlier posts on air tabs, I have found that my #1 benefit is that my rear camera stays clean. 2nd is handling in side winds and truck passing, 3rd is a much cleaner toad and bike. AS far as mileage, I really have no idea because I am driving my house down the road so I don't expect good mileage and really with a fuel tank that is almost 8 feet wide it is impossible to get the same amount of fuel in the tank at fill ups so the accuracy for fuel mileage is just not there and I am just not prepared to drain my fuel tank manually, then use a metered container, drive a distance and then drain the fuel tank into a metered container to get an accurate result and on top of that it has to be on the same stretch of road with no wind, same temperature, etc. Any other way of doing it means absolutely nothing. If I get better maileage it would just be an extra bonus.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Air Tabs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS