RV.Net Open Roads Forum: A Fall TC Excursion: Getting to know our own back yard !

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> A Fall TC Excursion: Getting to know our own back yard !

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/09 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A hike, a mountain, a lake, a Scarecrow, a day after peak:

Once upon a time there were two campers, Silverdunes and Silversand. Rather than camping at a State Park, their usual place for autumn beauties and mysteries, they have decided to use their own special camp on their land, taking advantage of a beautiful setting with no crowds, and having a chance to enjoy their own mountain:

[image]

The forest which borders the special camp is composed primarily of maples, oaks and hemlock. This maintained forest is a perfect match to create a colourful palette;

Noises had been heard last night in the woods. Silverdunes is gazing though the trees and will shortly head up-slope to find the source of those mysterious steps around the camper; a deer, a fox, who knows...

[image]

The camper stands proudly on this cold autumn day, however not Silversand. Look, he is inside in the warmth of the camper patiently awaiting Silverdunes to come from her assessment of potential menace in the forest.

[image]
[image]

On the rocks:

As Silverdunes heads back empty-handed, no evidence of threat, yet she sees the cold drinks on the stone wall's drink tray, awaiting her! Was Silversand that patient? The wine bottle is open; he will probably blame it again on me, Scarecrow, your narrator.

[image]

Every harvest season the mountains are filled with deities that cannot walk, but seem to know everything that goes around: Scarecrows!

Let us toast this wonderful season of harvest, colours and magic! Ahhhh! …Silverdunes’ wine is quite good; should have poured myself more...

[image]

As evening approaches and our campers have been keeping warm with food and drinks, they should focus attention to starting the fire; autumn has kicked in with a north wind.

[image]

The sun rises and the temperatures plummet. The Outfitter kept our campers warm and toasty. Coffee being brewed, the Silvers will be soon heading out on their annual fall stroll to a near-by destination...

Can't wait for them to open the door and see their faces when they have this first contact with the morning cold. My view from the top of the camper is amazing and it will get better as trees shed their leaves:

[image]

[image]

As they trek down the long shady driveway beneath fiery leaf canopy to reach the west trail, your narrator is looking down the road. He has been very mischievous, as Halloween is approaching; I'll follow them!

[image]
[image]

Up the first forest glen they go, though young trees are growing, this old growth forest is filled with old beech and hickory, and ancient hemlock trees. Rare today to find old growth forest; these trees have heard so many stories, witnessed changing seasons, and keep the pre 1700s history of the region locked and encoded in their rings.

The overnight winds had blown many of the red leaves from the trees, composing a more uniform colour palette a day after peak.

[image]

The path to the lake, they take. An extract from a poem from Canadian poet Bliss Carman comes to mind:

There is something in October sets the gypsy blood astir; We must rise and follow her, When from every hill of flame She calls and calls each vagabond by name

[image]
[image]

Oh,oh…Silverdunes has stopped on her tracks! She has seen me in the forest even though I had changed my hat and suit. I should improve my hiding skills; I'd better scoot...

[image]

Finally... I think she'd had too much wine last night; no way she saw me, she's continuing her hike to the Lake.

[image]

The goal is always the Lake X; so relaxing and may I add there is no monster in the bottomless (caldera) Lake; there are no such things as monsters...[emoticon]

[image]
[image]

Unspoiled lakes are virtually impossible to find in the East; no boats, no access to the lake, just a small hidden pathway known by the handful of residents only. Silverdunes is the poet. I’m only a mannequin dressed in old clothes. This untouched beauty is best to be contemplate without words:

[image]
[image]
[image]

After a long meditation our two campers hit the trail again...

[image]
[image]

No deer prints nor Scarecrow tracks, a pathway through forested land protected from the cold north breeze, but our determined hikers will keep going, back into the drift of winds:

[image]

The trail brings them to the other side of the mountain; different views, and very rare eastern acacia grove and chillier air:

[image]
[image]

Silversand takes a moment of respite to make a photograph looking north. The last ascent will bring them way up to look at the view from the ski resort:

[image]
[image]

On their road back to the camp, still more beautiful landscape left to be seen. Walking up the hill home, they have a shock:

Scarecrow is gone...and the camper is gone...only pumpkins on the rocks !

[image]
[image]

As they rush to report the thief, Silverdunes sees the broom of the witch of the Eastern Townships. Halloween will be soon celebrated, as it has been for 2000 years. She knew...

[image]

The Witch and I (your narrator here finally shown in his splendor), have decided to go to the annual Halloween festival in a different way. Broom flying in the cold weather…was not our cup of tea.
Don’t worry, Silvers! Campie should be back after the Halloween, or…maybe spring. Maybe you should bake a pie with those pumpkins?

[image]

Narrator: Scarekey
Conceptual: Silverdunes
Photos: Silversand & Silverdunes
General location: Eastern Townships, Quebec
Precise location: Top Secret [emoticon]

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/09 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450">

rhode trip

Rhode Island

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/09 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful woods. is that Mt Orford?

2002 Dodge 3500 CTD/DRW/
2000 Northern Lite 10-2000cd

www.LapelPinPlanet.com

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/09 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I enjoyed all of the pictures but my favorite is the frame created by the ski lift.

What was the date of the pictures? our leaves are just starting to turn.

thanks for sharing...

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/09 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Silver, Silver, and Scarekey,

With a beautiful backyard like that, it would be hard to leave home especially this time of year. Of course once Old Man Winter settles back in for the long dark nights ahead, a trip south might sound pretty good.

Thanks for sharing your slice of heaven.

The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/09 11:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is more than your slice of heaven you share,
more than the imagination can spare,
you give us an insight into your lair,
all the while... giving a scare.

Simply fantasitc and imaginative, the pictures being as crisp and clear as your fall day looks to be. I fell right for it fellow Scarekey. What fun we could have around a fire on a cold fall eve, hot apple cider in hand. That put me in the mood for a good trick or treat after a fall walk. Wish I had your surrounds, the desert does lack certain moods. Encore, encore...

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/09 05:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, everyone for your support!

Rhode Trip: Mount Orford, range and surrounding parks it's not [emoticon] However you are relatively close!

Sleepy: the photos and experience took place last weekend, over Saturday & Sunday & Monday.

Seldom Seen: we hear you! Winter here can be extraordinary....if no freezing rain events occur [emoticon] Last winter was the best in many a year, with colder temps, lots of powder snow, and a completely snowless March (the 1st utterly precipitationless March in nearly a Century). Saying that, we are looking forward to Southwest expeditions during winter months next March!

Whazoo: a poet you are indeed [emoticon] and a brother in grand trip reports precede; anticipating a tome from you forthwith of the desert variety fancied [emoticon]

Anticipating doing a trip report from a pre-conceived framework of conception makes camping quite interesting to say the least!

Cheers,
Silver & Dunes

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/09 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is quite a 'backyard'. Camping where you can walk home -- what a concept!

Cal

travelinglane

NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/09 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great "trip" report, Silvers! You sure live in a beautiful area. Thanks for sharing.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/09 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ce: we like it...a lot; gas mileage is quite decent, too [emoticon]

Traveling Lane: thanks! We hope to link up with you more frequently as you move closer to retirement! Hoping to see you at the next "Rally" [emoticon]

Cheers,
Sand & Dunes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> A Fall TC Excursion: Getting to know our own back yard !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS