|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Mountain passes in New Mexico

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
OTTO

Western Washington/Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/09 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know there are alot of RV Net members here who live in New Mexico. We are in the early stages of planning a trip for later part of next year and could use some advise on terrain in New Mexico.

We will be coming into New Mexico from the West on I-10. We want to spend some time in Albuquerqie for the Balloon Fiesta and also want to spend a day or so in Ruidoso for the Chuck Wagon cookoff Championship. We will depart the area headed for Texas hill country, San Antonio and then RGV before heading back West to AZ.

Question is: are there any difficult mountain passes that I should avoid? We drive mountain passes all the time living in the Pacific Northwest so we are used to that but I want to avoid anything that is "over the top" (no pun intended) in terms of % of grade. Thanks.

On Edit, there is a chance we may want to come in from the West on I-40. Is this route more difficult than I-10--We would be moving through there in late Sept.

* This post was edited 10/14/09 10:37am by OTTO *

cruiserjs

Mesa AZ/ openroad

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/09 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I 10 or I 40 - both are good routes with no extreme grades to worry about. Ditto for the rest of your itinerary. Sounds like a great trip!

Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

OTTO

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/09 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about getting into Ruidoso with a MH? I would like to stay there for a few nights if possible. I pulled up a terrain map and there are several mountain ranges in the area-just don't know what the grade would be getting there.

eubank

Angel Fire, NM, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/09 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any route on an interstate into New Mexico will be fine. There are no serious grades to speak of on those routes.

As for small mountain roads, get yourself a true-blue New Mexico state map, available for free at many locations. There are some roads around that you'd want to avoid with an RV. (One of those leads into the valley where I live, for example. It's not super steep, but it is a single-lane paved road with no chance to move over in many areas.)

Lynn

Pics and stuff at my Flickr pages

milo

4 Corners

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/09 01:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mountain passes in New Mexico..where?..your kidding right! oh yeah north of Chama ... There are some hills in New Mexico (Sandia Mountains..a bump in the road) but no mountain passes like you have in the northwest or like they have in southern Colorado. I-40 from the west to Alb. is relatively flat with the same on I-10 then up I-25. You should have no problems.

Janet & Milo ...37 & 5/6 yrs 2gether
Mona Mo 8 yr old Yorkie & (in spirit) our Beagle
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26SAB

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker

OTTO

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/09 01:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

milo wrote:

Mountain passes in New Mexico..where?..your kidding right! oh yeah north of Chama ... There are some hills in New Mexico (Sandia Mountains..a bump in the road) but no mountain passes like you have in the northwest or like they have in southern Colorado. I-40 from the west to Alb. is relatively flat with the same on I-10 then up I-25. You should have no problems.

This is good to hear. Thanks.

johnna

Southwest, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/09 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To get to I-10 one must deal with the LA area. Not fun. If you are coming down I-5 take route 58 east from Bakersfield to I-40 and save yourself a lot of trouble.

2004 Ford 350 Super Duty 2W Dirve Long Bed PU
2008 327RLT Montana Mountaineer 35 ft. 5th wheel
2005 Alaska and other Trip Logs

AGBAT

Tierra Encantada

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/09 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ruidoso is an easy drive from any direction but using 70 is the easiest. If you come in on 37/48 from Carrizozo, there is a short steep grade near Alto on 48 but it has passing lanes, wide shoulders and is barely noticeable as a pass.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Mountain passes in New Mexico
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS