|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Lexus GX 470

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
carguy

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/09 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just returned from our trip towing a GX470 without modifications. We towed the GX over 8500 miles and drove it another 4,000 miles during the trip. It towed great with no problems whatsoever. From my expereince it is a great tow car. Talked with 4 others towing GX's during our trip and they shared our opinion.

John S.

Valley of Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/09 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is good to know. I looked at one a little while ago but the book said it could not be towed when turned to it in the manual.

John
2001 42' Foretravel U320
2007 Bornfree 24 Painted
2001 Jeep Wrangler for 300k miles
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Susie and Dolly (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels) now in our hearts and thoughts
Doodle a Black and Tan Cavalier
Lolly a Ruby Cavalier

brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/09 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have questioned this as well. My wife owns an 03 GX 470 and it has the same A750F transmission as my new Tacoma. With the neutral transfer case, you would think there would be no problem towing it, but Remco calls for a drive shaft disconnect. The new 08 and 09 GX 470 Remco says "trailer only" What year is your GX 470?

Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

carguy

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/09 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My GX is a 2006. I liked it so much as a tow vehicle that I purchased a new 2009 this weekend. They are changing the body style late this year. It is my understanding the new model with have an electronic transfer case as opposed to a manual. This could complicate towing. I am confident that 2003-2009 are basically the same. I have talked to numerous people towing all years and have not heard anyone say they had a problem.

I put the transfer case in neutral and then turn off the engine leaving the key in accessory mode. I then put the car in park. I loosened the battery cable and pop the cable off when I am ready to tow and slip it back on when I am ready to drive the GX. I loose my presets, but not a big deal to me. Above is all I have done to tow. Could not be happier with the battery as a tow vehicle.

brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/09 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carguy,
That is good to know. My wife won't let me tow hers, she only has 16,000 miles on an 03 and it's her baby. So I bought a Tacoma to tow. What a GREAT toad that has made!! We just finished a 9,200 mile trip and the Tacoma with the drive shaft disconnect was fantastic. It is too bad that Toyota doesn't approve their vehicles for towing as they sure make great toads.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Lexus GX 470
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS