RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: DVR Recorder - TIVO?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> DVR Recorder - TIVO?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Alto Flyfisher

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/09 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We own a 2008 Cameo which has two flat screen TV's. We only operate off park cable or the bat wing and would like to have the capability to DVR some of our shows. We would need to go with something pretty basic as we are dunces when it comes to operating complex systems. Is some kind of TIVO DVR something that would work for us? I looked at their website and am completely baffled by a lot of the information as they mention having to have cable cards and a phone or broadband connection. The only connection we make is to connect a coax to the park cable. It seems like a DVR that operates similar to a VCR is what we would like to have. Any suggestions? We are not full timers but will spend our winter at Palm Creek RV in Casa Grande, Arizona. Am hoping we can record some of our shows so we are not slaves to a TV schedule.

Alto Flyfisher
2008 Carriage Cameo + 2007 F-250 FX4 PSD

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/09 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from 5th wheels to technology corner.
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

dodgebob08

Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/09 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TIVO in my opion is the best and simplest, but it does need a connection (phone or internet) to keep its programming updated. That is what I have at home. Whatever cable company the park uses should offer one but I don't know how it would work since your not getting your cable thru them. You can get a DVD recorder fairly cheap now, but it would be just like the old VCRs, just record what you told it to, none of the cool stuff you can do with TIVO.

2008 Dodge 2500 MegaCab CTD
2006 Copper Canyon 295RLS
camping info

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/09 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well.. First the TiVo needs to "See" the internet from time to time in order to download program listings.. However, since I do not have one, I THINK, but am not sure, it will work in "Manual record" mode anyway. Plus it's not that hard to lug it and a Linksys WGA54G (Wireless Game Adapter) to the family center and download the program guide.. or you can mac-bridge your laptop to it.

Page 2: I also have a Pioneer DVD recorder,, It needs none of this fancy internet stuff.. I just plain works.. Just like a VCR in days of old but with DVD-RW instead of all chewed up video tape.

In my motor home I use a pair of Replay TV's. no longer made, they work almost exactly like today's TiVo's (even if they are kind of older than today's TiVo's) and have several features TiVo only dreams of..

But most of the abilities are close

Suggestion. If you get a modern TiVo.. Get two

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/09 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Toshiba D-R7 and it's great and easy to use much like a VCR but better
TOSHIBA

Kemahsabe

Kemah, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/09 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Phillips DVR with a 160GB hard drive that works just like a VCR. You can record shows on the HD then delete them or if you want to save them the unit also plays and records DVD's. They used to sell them at WM, but WM now sells a similar Magnavox unit.

Jim&Peg

Central Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/09 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Magnavox unit From Walmart and it works very well. Records to the hard drive or DVD.

ML

Livingston TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/09 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I miss the days when you could just turn on a TV and change the channel. But I also enjoy not seeing commercials any more. We do FT so after 8 years we had a automatic sat dish installed in February. When we are on the move it is a pleasure to just press a button and a couple minutes later viola, TV.

Dish and DirecTV both have "free" equipment and install offers and portability in that you leave the dish and give them your new address when you get to your new home, and they will install a dish at your new location and hook it up to your existing receiver. You would be committed to a 12 or 18 month contract but you may find you like some of the options of Sat TV. Once you've enjoyed the convenience of a DVR you won't want to go back. Cable companies also have DVR's but I am not familiar with their services. I don't know if Palm Creek service is Sat or Cable. If it is cable fiber optic to the site you may be able to subscribe via the cable service. We have done that for Internet service using our own cable modem when we have stayed in a park for a month or more. But with WIFI we no longer have to.

We have had both Dish and DirecTV in our rigs and they each have their pros and cons but the end result is they install and set up for you which sounds like something you are looking for. Most won't install the dish on your rig but will provide a tripod of some sorts and setup/secure on the ground outside your rig. Since you will be in one place for the winter you won't have to worry about RV Waiver, East/West feeds etc. I would recommend you buy their "insurance" for $2.00 or $3.00 a month then if you have any problems you call them and they fix it. For the electronically challenged it is a bargain.

When we had the dish installed we ordered the service thru CostCo and had a contractor in Apache Junction, AZ install it and that was 10 RV parks ago. It is still working great and our DVR records up to 50 hrs HD and 200 hrs SD. If you are not a CostCo member you can either order the service from Dish, DirecTV's, Best Buy etc websites.

Good luck.

ML

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/09 11:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Earlier I said if you get TiVo. get two.. I will give you the arguments now

TiVo's can record one show while either watching it live, playing delayed or playing a totally different recorded show

you can also put one on each TV and record a show on one, then watch it on another (in this case you can not watch while recording, less you record on both)

Same with my Replays... Which is one of the features that Replay had since the drawing board days and TiVo only added long about series 3.

So what makes TiVo better than Replay? Two things
1: ATSC and 2: They are still making them

Gene&Ginny

North Kingstown, RI

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/09 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Sony DHG-HDD250 DVR that gets it's programming info via TV Guide over the air, usually from the nearest PBS station, no connection like TIVO is required. THIS LINK will give you some info on the TV Guide. The recorder will do 30 hours of HD or standard on cable or antenna (2 inputs). The downside is that I don't think Sony makes the unit anymore. You may find it on E-Bay or Amazon.

Gene and DW Ginny
2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control
Proud member of the Sunline Club

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> DVR Recorder - TIVO?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner