|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Round About Route, NW WA to Casa Grande, AZ

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
mccartydwight

Hansville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/09 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leaving shortly for subject route. Am driving a 36' MH with Toad and want to do some sightseeing and stay away from urban areas where possible.

Plan to go from Sequim around 101 down the coast of WA and OR into Nothern CA. Question: This time of year is Hwy 299 near McKinleyville over to Redding OR HWY 36 vic. Fortuna over to Red Bluff the best route? Or should I go on down to vic. Calpella and take Hwy 20 over to Williams?

So either way I will then be on I-5 and will get over to I-80 at/slightly North of Sacromento to Nevada and Hwy 95 via Fernley/
Fallon and then South on Hwy 95 --- then will have to figure out a route to come out at Casa Grande, maybe Hwy 93 out of Las Vegas on down to Phoenix. Or maybe one of the routes to the East of Hwy 93 down to Phoenix.

We have two weeks to get to Palm Creek in Casa Grande so obviously not in a hurry. Any advice/comments appreciated.

djgarcia

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/09 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mccartydwight wrote:

Leaving shortly for subject route. Am driving a 36' MH with Toad and want to do some sightseeing and stay away from urban areas where possible.

Plan to go from Sequim around 101 down the coast of WA and OR into Nothern CA. Question: This time of year is Hwy 299 near McKinleyville over to Redding OR HWY 36 vic. Fortuna over to Red Bluff the best route? Or should I go on down to vic. Calpella and take Hwy 20 over to Williams?

So either way I will then be on I-5 and will get over to I-80 at/slightly North of Sacromento to Nevada and Hwy 95 via Fernley/
Fallon and then South on Hwy 95 --- then will have to figure out a route to come out at Casa Grande, maybe Hwy 93 out of Las Vegas on down to Phoenix. Or maybe one of the routes to the East of Hwy 93 down to Phoenix.

We have two weeks to get to Palm Creek in Casa Grande so obviously not in a hurry. Any advice/comments appreciated.

1. Do not take Hwy. 36. This is best driven on a motorcycle or a donkey
2. I prefer stay on 101 to Hwy. 20 to I-5.
3. Hwy. 299 is subject to windy mountain roads, with some climbs and drops and meeting logging trucks on the way. The road itself is ok but just not my 1st preference. I have towed a 32' TT over it a few times
4. check with the Cal Trans web site before you take off to get up to date road conditions.
5. Hwy. 80 has some serious road construction going on between Truckee and Reno, 1 lane driving. Check with Cal Trans.
6. The route I take to get to Phoenix area because I like scenic drives, I choose to avoid dealing with snow closures and Mohave winds in the desert is:
1. I-5 to Hwy. 46
2. West on 46 to 101
3. South on 101 to 126 at Ventura
4. East on 126 back to I-5
5. At the bottom of the Grape Vine Mt., go east on 210 freeway to Redlands which will drop you in right on I-10.
6. Go east on 1-10 to 95 in Ariz. Then go south to hwy. 8, then go east to I-10 which is then just about 10 miles from Casa Grande.
Let us know which route you decide on. Safe travels

Dick
djgarcia1939@gmail.com

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/09 02:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From NV, get on I-40 east and take AZ 95 south, through Lake Havasu, etc. You might plan to stay at beautiful Buckskin Mountain State Park for a night or two. Get on I-8 just east of Yuma and take it to Casa Grande. You avoid Phoenix this way.

Now, if only I could find a GOOD way to avoid Las Vegas!

2015 Tiger Bengal TX
Chevy 3500HD, V8

mccartydwight

Hansville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/09 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, for now we will go across on Hwy 20 thru Marysville and intercept I-80 at Emigrant Gap. Bypass Sacromento that way and I have Air Force buddy from 1965 in Marysville. Not in a hurry so will just be patient with construction and potential bad weather vicinity Reno.

Then start down Hwy 95 after Reno (thru Fallon) and will play it by ear from then on out. Trying to see new places on every trip and, yep, tough to avoid Las Vegas (maybe someone planned it that way). Probably Hwy 93 out of Las Vegas (we were on 95 last year).

Thanks

rchonly

Kingman, Arizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/09 12:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just came back home to Kingman on the 25th from Anacortes, WA.

This trip we took I-5 to Redding then 44 east up around Lassen to Old Station then 89 south to Susanville and picked up 395 to Reno. Then 80/50 east to Fernley. 50 to Fallon and 95 down to Vegas. At LV we went south on 95 to the Laughlin/Bullhead exit then over to Kingman. In your case I'd head on down to Needles and pick up 40 east then 95 down through Lake Havasu to 10 then east to the valley. Once you get on the two lanes life gets much better the roads are in better shape, less traffic and good scenery.

I avoid 93 over the dam right now because they are making that 20 mile two lane stretch from the dam south into a four lane to tie into the new bridge. It's doable it just has some long delays every once in awhile.

We go up to the NW a couple of times a year and frequently come down the coast and take various routes east. The only one I would avoid as stated above is 36 to Red Bluff as it will wear you out.

I was amazed at the lack of traffic on this trip and most of the RV parks were lucky to be 20% to 25% full.

Small world, I was in Marysville from 65 to 69 working for First Western Bank, I'll assume you were stationed at Beale.

Enjoy

Roger

1991 - 38" American Eagle - 8.3 Cummin's w/Allison 4spd
(Purchased 4-15-10 w/5,600 miles on it)
99 Dodge Durango/SLT 4X4 - Toad

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/09 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

djgarcia wrote:

1. Do not take Hwy. 36. This is best driven on a motorcycle or a donkey
SNIP
My wife sort of called me that when I took her over it in the car.

mccartydwight

Hansville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/09 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rchonly: Actually my old Bomb/Navigator (Bombardier) and I served at Westover in MA; he was transferred to Beale in late 67 and flew some 'spook' missions on a B52 within the Blackbird program.

Thanks for the info on the routing.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Round About Route, NW WA to Casa Grande, AZ
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS