|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Pleasure-way Ford V8 or V10

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
scarpi

Phoenix

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/09 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was wondering how the v8 and v10 Ford engines in the Pleasure-way compare in terms of highway mileage and perhaps durability? I can't seem to find this info on line and it seems most of the Pleasure-ways have the v10 Ford engine in them. I was thinking of getting the v8 but was just wondering if it is that much more economical than the v10.
Thanks, Don

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/09 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The V-10 in Class B applications commonly gets an average of between 14 and 16 mpg. If driven lightly, the V-8 averages around 17 to 19 mpg. This can sink to 6 to 8 mpg in hilly areas or head winds. The V-10 has a better power ratio and less stress and strain on hills, passing and if towing the V-10 is the obvious choice.

The V-10 had spark plug blow out issues when first introduced, but that was corrected. Reliability on both engines in now great!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

turninghawk

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/09 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As the owner of a PW with the 5.4 V8, I'll tell you the same thing the dealer told me when I bought it new. If you're towing a vehicle behind you, the V-10 is the way to go. Otherwise, don't spend the extra money on the V-10, as the V8 is all the power you'll ever need & gets better fuel economy. He was right.

rvdogmom40

Western Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/09 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were looking at PWs, I drove both the V8 and V10 and much preferred the V10. We get between 12-15 mpg. In Sept we traveled through the Rockies and I was very happy for the extra power. However, even in routine freeway driving, I still like the more powerful V10 best.

jjson775

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/09 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience has been the same as CoalminerUG and turninghawk. The PW folks told me that if I was not going to tow anything to get a V8. I did and have been completely satisfied. Overal average mileage is 15 mpg. Reliability has been flawless in 4 years and 33K milies.

Coalminer UG

Nakusp BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/09 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the V8 in my unit 2009PW Excel. I only drive the posted speed limit or lower if traffic is light. I get average 19 mpg Imperial Galon. I don't worry about hills. I slow down. I don't tow anything. I am happy.

Ches

Served In Canadian Army 1PPCLI

Retired Underground Coal Miner (Gen Foreman)

charles

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/09 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with rvdogmom40. I had a 2004 Excel V-8 and a 2007 Excel V-10. There is only about one mpg difference between them and you will "NOT" get over 15 mpg period. I drove the two units apx. 70,000 miles and my average was the same 12/15 absolute max. The good thing about the V-10 is you get the 5 speed transmission and it really drives effortlessly. We drove both units from Ohio to Nevada, and through West Virginia and Virginia to Florida the V-10 power up the mountains, in passing, and entering highways is remarkable and you only give up about 1 mpg. If I were to buy another Excel it would be a V-10 without a doubt.

Nick
01 Lexor TD, 04 Excel TS, 07 Excel TS, 10 Explorer X-SE

2012 Pleasure-way Excel TS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Pleasure-way Ford V8 or V10
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS