Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Ultralight with Murphy Bed?

Posted By: fidhleir on 10/29/09 05:33pm

I'm currently pulling a Jayco Select 12HW high wall popup with a Land Rover LR3. It's great when we're camping, stove & micro, big beds, open. But it doesn't work well for us on long trips like SoCal to Denver to see the grandkids. We have to stop too early and leave too late with setup/teardown when on the road.

So now we're looking at TTs that can be pulled with the LR3. We want a walk around queen bed and I don't want slides as I'd like to be able to just crash at the end of a long day and get going early the next morning. DW wants a sofa for when we are in a campground for days. Need weight around 5,000 and hitch at 500 lbs plus the Rover has a short wheelbase so maybe 22 ft.

I'm looking at the Flagstaff 21FB (aka Rockwood 2104). Anyone with experience with the Murphy bed/sofa setup? How quick/easy (or difficult) is it? It looks like the perfect setup for us but I haven't found a local dealer with one to look at.

Too many choices!!!

Posted By: Klueck on 10/29/09 05:41pm

We saw one in a motorhome and it looked very easy to set up. You just picked up the foot of the bed. We thought it was a terrific idea. The bed gets out of your way and you have a TV/family room.

Posted By: SooperDaddy on 10/29/09 06:00pm

If you look at the TrailManor line of ultralight trailers, your find a quick to set up, quick to bed trailer that is warm and cozy, well insulated, full featured, no slideouts, dinettes or sofa dinettes, roomy and efficient, full bathroom, queen bed with 4 models under 3000 lbs! Plus they are all hard walled units, yet fold down to just 64" for towing, several at 20'3" length closed (27' open) for less wind resistance and better fuel mileage.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 10/30/09 05:39am

fordsooperdooty wrote:

If you look at the TrailManor line of ultralight trailers, your find a quick to set up, quick to bed trailer that is warm and cozy, well insulated, full featured, no slideouts, dinettes or sofa dinettes, roomy and efficient, full bathroom, queen bed with 4 models under 3000 lbs! Plus they are all hard walled units, yet fold down to just 64" for towing, several at 20'3" length closed (27' open) for less wind resistance and better fuel mileage.

a while back there was a thread here about one with a back porch that looked sort of neat IMHO.
bumpy

Posted By: fidhleir on 10/30/09 12:11pm

It looks like the standard TrailManors start at 26'. The lightweight TrailManor Elkmont is their first non-folding trailer which is still 24' long. The TrailMini, which has the back deck, is small enough and light enough for the Rover to pull but doesn't have the walk-around queen bed we want. That and we really want something with no setup so we can stop at the side of the road for a meal or a couple hours sleep before continuing on our way.

So far, only the Flagstaff/Rockwood has pretty much everything we're looking for. I'm just trying to find someone with experience handling the Murphy/sofa combination. I can't seem to find a dealer in SoCal with one in stock to check it out.

Posted By: fidhleir on 10/29/09 05:45pm

The Flagstaff has a sofa "under" the bed somehow. When the bed is stowed, the sofa backs up against it. When the bed is down, the sofa is somewhere. I think I can see the sofa arms in photos of the deployed bed but I'm not real clear on the whole thing. I assume the sofa somehow lays flat to deploy the bed.

Posted By: Mike Up on 10/31/09 11:53am

fidhleir wrote:

I'm currently pulling a Jayco Select 12HW high wall popup with a Land Rover LR3. It's great when we're camping, stove & micro, big beds, open. But it doesn't work well for us on long trips like SoCal to Denver to see the grandkids. We have to stop too early and leave too late with setup/teardown when on the road.

So now we're looking at TTs that can be pulled with the LR3. We want a walk around queen bed and I don't want slides as I'd like to be able to just crash at the end of a long day and get going early the next morning. DW wants a sofa for when we are in a campground for days. Need weight around 5,000 and hitch at 500 lbs plus the Rover has a short wheelbase so maybe 22 ft.

I'm looking at the Flagstaff 21FB (aka Rockwood 2104). Anyone with experience with the Murphy bed/sofa setup? How quick/easy (or difficult) is it? It looks like the perfect setup for us but I haven't found a local dealer with one to look at.

Too many choices!!!

With a low hitch weight rating, you'll be lucky to find anything with your wanted floorplan. I think Trailmanor is one of your few choices. It would be actually cheaper for you to buy a truck that could handle a regular travelt trailer though.

Here's my last post on the same hitch weight limits you have.

The Trailmanor 2720SL might work for you if you keep it loaded lightly.

The Flagstaff might work if you don't fill the water tank and keep most of your gear in your tow vehicle.

Good luck and have a good one.

* This post was edited 10/31/09 12:04pm by Mike Up *

2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
29'1" bumper to hitch, 8' wide, 6'9" ceiling, 5050# unloaded and ~6500# loaded.

2012 F150
5.0L, CC, 5.5' bed, 3.73 Locker, 4x4, TBC, 360 Hp/380# Torq, 9300# Tow/1050# Hitch Rating, 1582 lbs payload. Great TV!

Campers and Trucks

Posted By: Stars & Stripes on 10/30/09 03:16pm

fidhleir wrote:

It looks like the standard TrailManors start at 26'.

Actually the 26' is the opened length. When collapsed for towing that same trailer is 19' 3" long.

Posted By: A&K on 10/31/09 05:26pm

The wheelbase on our Explorer is 113.7" and our 218 is 22'-6"; while we'd love more power, with the Equal-i-zer hitch there are no issues with the tail wagging the dog.

Stay within your comfort zone, but I wouldn't have an issue pulling the 24'-1" 226 with your LR3 as long as I had a quality WD hitch with sway control.

Andy

Andy & Kathi
DD ('91), DD ('94), Woof ('03), Woof Woof ('07)
2003 Ford Explorer
2011 Palomino Puma 30FQSS
Our Pictures

Posted By: A&K on 10/31/09 02:36pm

How about the Jayco Jay Feather Sport 226?

Andy

Posted By: fidhleir on 10/31/09 03:15pm

The Fun Finder X-210 and the Jayco 226 both have appealing floorplans. Both are pushing or at 24' overall which worries me with the Rover's 113" wheelbase. The general advice on the forums seems to be to keep it under 22' for my TV.

I've found several choices with a walkaround bed that fit my specs. It's the addition of the sofa that seems to put me over on length. That's why I'm asking about the Flagstaff/Rockwood Murphy bed. It just seems like that could be the compromise that gets me there. Wish I could find one to look at.

Posted By: fidhleir on 10/31/09 10:54pm

GoneRooing,

Thanks for the video link. That's exactly what I was looking for. Sofa to bed setup looks about as quick and easy as could be. I like the extra floor space in sofa mode for my Elkhound. I think the Rockwood 2104 with its 22' overall length and GW under 5000 may be the perfect choice.

Andy,

Land Rover insists that no WD hitch be used with the LR3, that it will foul up the air suspension computer controls and cause suspension faults. Can't find anyone on RV or LR forums that has ever tried it.

Posted By: kysurveyor on 10/31/09 02:16pm

Funfinder RV makes 2 models for your needs, both with walk around queen beds. The smaller is the X-160FS, at 17 feet and 2600 #. The second is the X-210, at 22 feet, and 3600 #. They are only 7 feet wide and tow like a dream. I had the X-160 with bunks as my RV 3 years ago, it towed easily with a Ford Explorer.

Keith, Suzy two teenagers and a dog
2005 Seneca 35 GS Super C
2006 Dodge Durango with 5.7 Liter Hemi

Posted By: 4WallCamping on 10/31/09 03:48pm

Not promoting and not for or against RVWholesalers, but I did just order a 2501SS from my dealer today that has the Murphy Bed. Here is a youtube video clip from RVWholesalers showing a 2501SS with the Murphy Bed. I wrote around to those that have them and they love them. The clip shows the Expresso Interior Murphy Bed in a 2501SS and they show it how it opens and closes. Hope this helps and good luck.

Rockwood Ultra Lite 2501SS with the Murphy Bed

Like I said, "just ordered mine today 10/31/2009; it too has the expresso".

Best of Luck

* This post was edited 10/31/09 04:33pm by an administrator/moderator *

4WallCamping
Formerly: GoneRooing
DW and Son (11y/o) plus older children and GKids
'08 Rockwood Roo 21SS Retired
'03 F150 4x4 SC 5.4 V8 Retired

2010 Rockwood Ultralite 2501SS
2005 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

Posted By: Bigdog on 11/01/09 03:20am

IMHO,you are looking for trouble if you can't use any kind of W/D hitch on that light a TV.Also when you are looking at tongue weight for your rig,the factory lists the tongue weight as for an EMPTY rig and that means no batteries on the tongue and EMPTY propane tanks. Take those weights into consideration and you're going to add 150-200# to the tongue,so you're going to be over the tongue limit for your rig in a hurry.
I would suggest that you not worry about how long it takes you to setup or get on the road,an extra few minutes isn't going to hurt, and look at what's safe for you to tow and what's comfortable.Slow down and smell the roses while you can.

GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Posted By: pamvanw on 11/01/09 05:54am

The Funfinder 16FS has the murphy bed in a tiny little overall package.
From experience I can tell you that making the bed every night gets old pretty fast. I wonder if Cruiser will make the Viewfinder below with a sofa instead of the dinette. That would be very cool. We were impressed with the construction and decor of this little unit.
http://www.cruiserrv.com/viewfinder/floorplans.html

Pam
2012 Arctic Fox 30U
2012 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A

Posted By: A&K on 11/01/09 06:33am

The "No WD Hitch" thing is troublesome. In the absence of it, you want to maintain a healthy tongue weight to have the best chance of success, as (within a range) more tongue weight helps with sway. Assume you'd want to be at a tongue weight equal to 15% of your total; 500 lbs divided by .15 = a loaded trailer weight of 3,333 lbs.

Without a WD hitch, your 7,716 tow rating is meaningless. It's the hitch and the ratios that drive your real maximum.

In the spirit of compromise, would you consider one of Forest River's R-Pod models? Something like the non-slide RP-172 would give you two permanent (reasonably sized) bunks, a toilet / shower, a small kitchen and a dinette in a package that should be easy to tow and set up.

I feel your frustration! When we were looking, we really wanted more TT than we had the ability to tow. Ideally, we would have upgraded our TV, but were looking at one DD about to start college and her sister a few years behind. We're happy with the compromise we made between TV capabilities and TT size / amenities.

Andy

Posted By: gerrym51 on 11/01/09 07:52am

fidhleir wrote:

GoneRooing,

Thanks for the video link. That's exactly what I was looking for. Sofa to bed setup looks about as quick and easy as could be. I like the extra floor space in sofa mode for my Elkhound. I think the Rockwood 2104 with its 22' overall length and GW under 5000 may be the perfect choice.

Andy,

Land Rover insists that no WD hitch be used with the LR3, that it will foul up the air suspension computer controls and cause suspension faults. Can't find anyone on RV or LR forums that has ever tried it.

Honda ridgeline has same restiction. I think it has to to with
front wheel drive when vehicle computer tells it to change to all
wheel drive and send power thru rear axle. a weight distibuting
hitch send weight to front axle tricking the computer chip ?

People with these models some still use WDH. I believe manufacturers
do not want to take responsibility-ergo the warnings.

gerry

Posted By: fidhleir on 11/02/09 07:27am

Thanks, everybody. This has been some great input.

The Rover at nearly 6,000 lbs. dry is not light by any definition but it does have a short wheelbase. Searches of a number of Rover forums indicate people are doing fine without WDH as long as they keep length to 22' and weight around 5,000 with a tongue weight of 500-550. (Actually, I can't find a single LR3 owner that has ever used a WDH.) The hitch limit is labeled 770 but nobody's putting that much weight on. I'm looking at trailers with a dry hitch weight of 300-400.

Now if I could just find a dealer with a Rockwood 2104/Flagstaff 21FB in stock I'd be set.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Posted By: fidhleir on 11/03/09 07:01am

Wes,

Good suggestion. From my search of the Land Rover forums, a number of folks are using some kind of stabilizing system, just no WDH on the LR3. I'll check that out. Thanks.

Posted By: Wes Tausend on 11/02/09 02:26pm

With a fairly light hitch weight, I can see not worrying about a WDH since many vehicles are designed for additional rear axle weight as proper payload anyway.

If you have any future handling issues, you might consider a modified geometry type hitch such as a Hensley, Pro-Pride or Pull-Rite. They are expressly designed to give additional stability for sway control rather than weight handling. The realtime effect is to give your TV the steering leverage of a seemingly longer wheelbase.

Wes

Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2000 Excursion V-10 - 2000 F-250 CC 7.3L V-8
- 2004 Cougar Keystone M-294 RLS, 6140# tare
- Hensley Arrow - Champion 4000w/3500w gen
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

Posted By: ctpres on 11/02/09 06:00am

Re. Murphy bed. Our Puma has one and we have been very happy. Installed new memory foam mattress and can still fold it up fully made with a rope and hooks on each side to hold it in folded position. Less than 60 seconds from bed to couch or couch to bed.

A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Foreman Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA
with
Headhoncho Suzie
BAR-BOB Ranch, San Barnard River Valley, Texas
2010 Damon Daybreak Classic 32'
1990 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2012 Vilano Tuono road bike

Print  |  Close