RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is entry level bad? Any one have a keystone summerland?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Is entry level bad? Any one have a keystone summerland?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
plumbob72

Anna

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/09 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have found a deal on a 2008 Keystone Summerland 2670BH. It is a new unit. The dealer wants 14,000 for it. It is 29 ft with a slide and bunk beds in the back. I am thinking of buying it, seems to be in my price range. I am new to RVing and this would be my first travel trailer. My concern is that this is an entry level trailer. I had a friend tell me, make sure that whatever you buy is all aluminim construction. This unit is not all alluminum construction. Should this be a concern? I have a wife and three young kids, we will not be full timing in this unit, but we will be using it a lot. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated. I have about 33 thousand to spend on a trailer and tow vehicle. I will buy a used tow vehicle, and I was thinking of buying a used TT, but the price on this new TT seems like a pretty good deal.

Kwattro

Calgary, AB

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/09 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of 30+ year old trailers around without aluminum stud construction. It's personal opinion frankly, I find entry level trailers have a great square footage to cost ratio and a lot of the differences between the entry level and levels higher were only in the use of higher end fixtures and fancier interior materials. Even the chassis and running gear were identical in a lot of examples. When I camp I'm not the slightest bit interested if my cupboards are maple or particle board. It's all in how well you treat and maintain it. If everything meets your requirements and you think the dealer is competent, go for it.

2007 Kingsport 286RLS 31' 6747 Dry 8900 Loaded
2006 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L - FOR SALE
2006 Ford F-350 SuperCrew FX4 6.0L

javaseuf

California's Gold Coast

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/09 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2007 Keystone Springdale that people consider an "entry-level" unit. I did Quality Assurance for a MH manufacturer and am very picky but I am very impressed with the quality of materials, amenities and craftsmanship of my trailer.
I could have afforded to buy any trailer I wanted but the Springdale offered the floor plan, quality and value I was looking for.

Mine is wood frame with aluminum skin construction. I looked at my desired floor plan in a Komfort brand but it used aluminum framing and fiberglass skin which was too heavy for my F150. It also cost about $10k more and other than the afore mentioned construction differences, there wasn't any difference in materials or quality.
So, I saved 10 grand and I can repair the exterior panels myself should the need arise and spend that saved money on lobster BBQ's on the beach and a nice little fishing boat.

* This post was last edited 10/31/09 08:40pm by javaseuf *   View edit history

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/09 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anna, did you not bother to read the rules about posting on these forums before you decided to post on two different forums? Please read the rules before you go any further. Welcome to the forums and I hope you gain a lot of useful information from reading here and posting questions you may have. But... please follow the rules from now on. Happy camping.

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Trailer Trash 2

Santa Fe Springs, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/09 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

robsouth wrote:

Anna, did you not bother to read the rules about posting on these forums before you decided to post on two different forums? Please read the rules before you go any further. Welcome to the forums and I hope you gain a lot of useful information from reading here and posting questions you may have. But... please follow the rules from now on. Happy camping.

I think that your statement should come from a moderator not you, or you should report it to a moderator to let them decide.

Don & Georgia
AKA: Trailer Trash 2
Real trucks don't have spark plugs.
2009, Dodge, 3500, Q Cab, Cum/Diesel, D.R.W.
Pulling a Super Fine Montana 2980RL

javaseuf

California's Gold Coast

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/09 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

robsouth wrote:

This is too funny!!!

Don't worry Chris. This is a common mistake new members make and until Rob and all the rest of us walk on water, I, for one, will leave admonishment to the mods.

* This post was edited 10/31/09 08:45pm by javaseuf *

crab80

Virginia`s Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/09 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I`m not quite sure what you mean when you say "all aluminum construction". The one you are looking at is a conventional design, Most likely aluminum siding over a wooden frame. Some others are fiberglass sides over an aluminum frame. Given the amount of money you have to spend on TV and TT I would think you will be limited to conventional construction such as the Summerland you are looking at. Not a thing wrong with that. I know little about the brand but the design of aluminum over wood is time proven so don`t let that scare you off. Entry level is just a term. You enter at the level you can afford with what fits your family. Also check the date of manuf. on that unit to see just how long it has been on his lot. Some 08`s were made as early as May `07. Best of luck with your purchase, whatever you choose.

2010 Jayco 28BHS
2004 Chevy 1500 Ext.Cab 5.3L, 3.73, Bilsteins, Timbren SES
Reese Dual Cam
Prodigy P3

stephend

Ashville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/09 09:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will be fine. Entry level means good value and Keystone makes a good product like mine we have had for 3 years with no problems.

3 married children, 7 gr ch
Electrical engineer married to mom/homemaker
Log Home on lake to retire in 8 years
Not golfer, fisherman or hunter but Let's go camping!!
2006 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 3.23 w/2010 Dutchmen Lite 25C-GS

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/09 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind that most of the things that will matter to you will be the same in the 'entry level' as the higher priced unit. Refrigerator, stove, microwave, and the awining. The upgrades usually refer to counter-tops, curtains, upholstery, and flooring. My guess is, that these things won't bother you.....

Also keep in mind that if this is your first TT.....it's your "Entry" in to the RV world....so you should be getting "entry level"...right??

Also, it's better to buy what you can afford....live with it a couple of years, and begin to make a list of things that you would improve for your wants and needs. Then when you upgrade, you have a better understanding of what you want to purchase next.

Good Luck, Happy Camping!!

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

SteveRankin

Sequim, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/09 09:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I should point out that our newest and current RV has a wood-framed house. Yet, it is hardly an entry-level coach. Wood is an excellent material to build with if it's done well.

As others have pointed out, there are lots of older wood-framed trailers still on the road. Also, "all-aluminum construction" is NOT the best. Aluminum has its weaknesses and attaching cabinets to the thin aluminum house frame is one of them.

Do I think that a $14K 29-footer is as well built as our $33K 24-footer? Of course not. But, then you're probably not going to pull it over thousands of miles of unpaved roads as we are, so you don't need a coach built like a tank--even a wooden tank.

Our first TT was a 10-year old Kit Companion. Simple, basic, inexpensive and wood. It worked just fine. A few minor problems with some furniture that needed to be reattached and/or braced, but we've had similar issues with every coach we've owned.

Steve & C. J.
Gracie Rough Collie
Bo'sun Bichon Frise
Marli Lab

2011 Fox Mountain 245RKS

1998 Bigfoot 25C9.6B

2010 Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 4X4, Cummins 6.7, Crewcab SRW LB
TrailerSaver BD3 & MOR/Ryde

Our Arctic by RV trip

Our Beaver motorhome Technical page

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Is entry level bad? Any one have a keystone summerland?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS