|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Converter Question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
ARHunter

Texarkana, Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/09 04:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My converter starting acting strange a while back. The converter fan kicks on and off like it can't decide what it needs to do. Yesterday, I left some lights on all day and finally they got dim and the converter will come on for a few seconds then shut off. When the converter comes on the lights brighten up so I know it is trying to work. Can the battery cause this or is this a converter problem? The battery is about 5 years old and I keep the AC power to the trailer plugged in all the time. It is a WFCO converter.

2006 Frontier Aspen 3205S
2005 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 D/A

stevesandidge

kingsport tn

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/09 05:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

have you checked your water in your batteries? that aside, it sounds like your converter is going south. you will need a meter to check the voltage, it should be 13.5 or so.
steve

steve sandidge
RVIA certified rv tech
camping world rv university
class 54
fix-it rv service
USMC 1982-1994
91 holiday rambler imperial 37'

MNtundraRet

Bloomington, MN

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/09 06:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having a few lights on during the day should not cause dim lights that soon. It sounds like the batteries are bad. You need a multimeter to properly test the batteries while disconnected. Test the voltage at the battery terminals. The fact that the converter/charger caused the lights brighten right after plugging in shows that the converter portion at least is working. If the WFCO converter/charger has only a single stage charger, the voltage at the battery-terminals should be 13.6 volts, and a 3-stage charger would read either 14.4 volts (bulk mode) or 13.6 volts (normal mode). If you only see 13.2 volts after plugging in for at least ten minutes, the charger portion is not working and you are only seeing the converter voltage in the 12v DC circuit. Note; if the WFCO charger can fully charge the batteries it would fall back to 13.2 volts (float mode) later in the day.

I suspect your battery is almost dead and you will need to charge for at least 12 to 24 hours. Unplug and check the voltage at the battery the next day. If they are not 12.6 to 12.7 volts, the battery(ies) can no longer be charged to full capacity and need to be replaced.

Mark

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

ARHunter

Texarkana, Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/09 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I actually did measure the battery voltage about a month ago with the AC power unplugged. It was about 12.2 volts. If the battery has an internal problem and can't be properly charged could that make the converter kick in and out of the bulk mode? I'm assuming the converter fan only comes on in this mode (this is a 3 stage converter).

The converter seems to keep the battery up enough when the trailer is not being used at least enough to operate the slide and jacks.

Leaving the lights on all day is the first time I have seen the battery get low enough to cause dim lights.

big dave

Soldotna, Alaska, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/09 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The batteries could have a shorted cell causing the converter to shut down on overload and start again when the overload resets. OR The converter won't stay on long enough to replace the charge in the batteries.
You need to test the batteries.

Dave & Rose C
90 Safari Ivory 34' DP
04 Saturn VUE V6

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/09 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Time for a new board

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

ARHunter

Texarkana, Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/09 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies, I am going to check the converter output tonight and replace the battery. I will probably upgrade to a Xantrex converter. $183 for the converter vs $135 for the replacement WFCO board.

Hurricaner

Hurricane Utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/09 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disconnect the battery negative lead at the battery. Now turn on your lights and other 12 volt devices, if everything functions normally than your battery is toast, if not it is time for a new converter.

Sam

Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2004 34' Damon Challenger 315

ARHunter

Texarkana, Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/09 04:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Apparently the charging part of the converter is working, but the bulk mode part is not. With the battery disconnected from the converter it reads 13.6 vdc and this is after being run almost completely down yesterday.

If I turn on the main living area lights (8 bulbs) without the battery connected the converter comes on in bulk mode with the fan running for a few seconds then goes off and the lights dim and go out. I think I need a new converter.

Which brand is best? I am wanting to upgrade to something better. The one I have is a WF 8955 ANP. I was looking at a Xantrex 60 amp at "bestconverters.com"

MNtundraRet

Bloomington, MN

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/09 06:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It does look like you will need a new converter, and most likely batteries. The old ones may have been done in by the converter.

I am not suggesting which brand to buy, but there is a new model from WFCO to replace your current unit. WF-9855 or upgrade to WF-9865. If you go to their site you could download any of the model manuals to help in you in deciding.

www.wfcoelectronics.com

I used this site a few years ago to get the manual for my WF-8945 model. The preveous owner only saved the French language version. I assume he lost the English version. The manuals do explain how to test for a bad converter along with installation instructions.

Mark

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Converter Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS