RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Easy ways to improve insulation during winter camping?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Easy ways to improve insulation during winter camping?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Yahooligan

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/09 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, we did our first overnight trip with the TT since we picked it up last Saturday. Wanted to make sure everything worked before we left on our holiday trips. Everything worked great!

Now, granted it didn't get "cold" last night (Probably around 51F to 53F), I was still rather impressed with how well the TT did holding heat in (2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs). I had the furnace set to 65F and I think it only came on twice for a few minutes each time.

Our holiday trips are likely to see night-time temps in the 30s and 40s, so I suspect that will be a different experience. I haven't found any holes or drafts, but would like to do some easy/simple things to help keep the heat in.

Do the vent insulation squares do much? I wouldn't think they would as I suspect most heat loss is through the windows. We don't have day/night shades, unfortunately, and I really don't want to mess with taking Reflectix in and out of the windows, but am open to installing it on the walls inside the cabinets.

The underbelly isn't fully enclosed, but it's wrapped and has ducted heating in the floor which seems to work well enough, I never felt like the floor was excessively cold but I am seriously debating having the underbelly fully enclosed if only to help with aerodynamics and protecting the tanks from road debris.

What other simple solutions/ideas do people have or have you used with good success?

Thanks!

Hogan & Clan
1989 Monaco Crown Royale 36 - Cummins 6CTA8.3

Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/09 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the vent covers make a substantial difference and cut down on heat loss.

dave17352

LINCOLN, NE

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/09 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The vent covers will help and they also keep the bright light out of the bedrooms for those mornings you want to sleep in!

2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2011 CHEVY 3500 SRW Duramax
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
50 gal aux tank
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Itchey Feet

Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/09 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thou not an insulating sugestion, I would look at installing a digital thermostat, it sure changed the way the heater worked on our TC. You can set temp wanted to the degree not just somewhere in between.

My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

Itchey Feet

Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/09 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just used a house model from big box store, do not see any reason why programable one will not work, we just used the cheap one that was set at a temp and forget. It can be set by (1) degree incroments.

Yahooligan

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/09 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the quick replies, that's good to know about the vent covers. Something to add to the CW list for next time. As for sleeping in...hah, not with a 4-year-old that's up at first light. Oh well!

I like the digital t-stat idea, though mainly if it's programmable (temp A at X time, temp B at Y time, etc) like our home t-stat. Do I have to get an RV-specific t-stat (For 12v furnace and 120v A/C) or are they the same as a standard house t-stat?

Would love to have the furnace come on just before people wake up and not have to suck up more propane than necessary while we're asleep in our cozy beds.

Deen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/09 11:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about a couple "snuggies"?

Deen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/09 11:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itchey Feet wrote:

We just used a house model from big box store, do not see any reason why programable one will not work, we just used the cheap one that was set at a temp and forget. It can be set by (1) degree incroments.
That will work on some units but not all. Ours is tied into the heat pumps and furnace. Only the one direct from the heat pump manufacturer will work with this setup. There was a thread here not long where someone attempted to change the thremostat and ruined the circuit board in the air con. Be sure you know what you're doing or it could get expensive.

toolman1

Cerritos, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/09 10:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toss a bunch of Xtra blankets, or better yet, a few Xtra sleeping bags into the rig. Spread em out over the tops of the bed and turn the stupid heater down to about 50*. You will sleep plenty warm, and then some, and not be bothered by the heater cycling on and off all night.

Also, I have the roof vent inserts and believe they really do help the radiational cooling, that takes place at night.

Something that very few people give any thought to, is placing the camping rig broadside to the daily sun, so as to absorb as much heat as possible, and leaving the doors and windows closed to keep that heat inside. Once the interior is heated, it holds that heat for a number of hours. When possible, I do it, unless trees or obstructions prevent it.

We sleep in a Travasak, w/ a 4 Lb. sleeping bag across the top of us, and at times are TOO warm. I personally set the thermostat at about 45* on a 30* night, and we sleep like babies. My heater may come on maybe 1-2 times, but only just before sunrise. Give it a try!

See ya out there!!
Hooliville member #128

Gary & Lynne.
'04 Dolphin 5320 WH-22 370W Solar
22' Mighty Mover Trailer, 60W. Solar.
Sand Sprite 4. 2.3L EFI sand buggy
'84 Jeep CJ.
2011 Black Lab "Lucy" for both of us

Rolling Condo

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/09 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a link that might give you some ideas on storm windows.Storm Windows
A link on adding insulation Insulation
The digital t-stat upgrade is very worthwhile. Here are 2 links on that subject.
1Hunter T-Stat
2Hunter T-Stat

'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Easy ways to improve insulation during winter camping?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS