RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: how do i fix a squeaky floor?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> how do i fix a squeaky floor?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
trophyhusband

Fort Walton Beach

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/09 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have 2010 montana and the floor in front of the shower squeaks. its extremely loud when its cold outside and it gets quieter as the day warms up. once it gets to the upper 80's the squeak is gone. i've looked from the basement while my wife walks the floor, but i can't really tell where its coming from or how i would fix it. what the heck do i do? when one of us gets up to pee it wakes the other, and it drives us both nuts in the mornings.

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/09 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think something rubs to make the sound and yuou will have to work at finding where and why. We have a 2001 alpenlite and sometimes after sitting in Az in the dry air we get a squeak at times. Nothing that makes a problem but look to see if some trim is moving at the shower area or maybe the floor moves up and down at the shower install to the floor. Hope somebody has fixed theirs to help you.
chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank
Garmin 2720
scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors

kenboat

southwest illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/09 12:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think it is a warranty issue.

You should take it back to the dealer.

Ken

1999 Ford F250 SuperDuty CC LB 7.3 TD
2008 KZ Sportsmen S245RL2
1956 Owens Outboard Wooden runabout boat

RRyall

SW PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/09 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Ken, it should be a warranty issue for you. OTOH, it sounds as if it is at a stress point so to speak where the floor deck is loose over a floor support, the frame, etc. and it goes away after it swells up from enough heat. If you can find the spot, I believe that you could resolve it fairly easily, it is probably somewhat difficult to pinpoint, as you have already found out. If you can physically touch the area, you can probably pinpoint it much easier by placing your fingers against the floor and sensing the location that way while your helper makes the floor squeal. I believe that you can feel where the spot is better than listening for it. Good Luck.

BobsYourUncle

Surrey, BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/09 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A squeaky floor is almost always caused by a loose fastener.
If there is a nail or screw that goes down through the floor that was not put in tight enough, or they missed or partly missed the floor framing, the cause of the squeak is the floor plywood or whatever they used moving up and down on the fastener.

Picture a nail in a piece of wood with the head sticking up a bit out of the floor. The floor ply sits up off the joist a bit. When you step on it, the floor plywood moves down until it contacts the joist. The floor is moving up and down on the nail with that annoying noise.

The cure for that on a 2010 model year is WARRANTY!

The cure on a model out of warranty is to exactly locate the loose nail or screw and hammer or thread it in tighter, if it is only loose.

And / Or run a screw into the center of the joist in the area of the problem fastener. When the floor can't move, it can't squeak.

Now obviously you cant just go running screws through a finished lino floor. If carpet, you can run screws through it into the floor joist. This will take some careful calculations to determine where the joists are.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Duramax / Allison
Fire Red

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

81 Citation 25' "Tail dragger" "Under construction"

"Workin' man's rig"

Bob's Trucks

Check Out My Rebuild Project

Project Feedback

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/09 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Irritating. Got a squeak in my Alpenlite too. Right in front of table at what must be the spot stepped on most often.

I know. Loose screw or missed screw. Why don't they glue & screw these things together? Getting at them later is impossible. Carpet would have to come up. The carpet goes down before anything else interior goes in.

These things are not designed with future maintenance in mind.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

NavyDood

NW of DFW

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/09 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a camper. More squeeks to come. I have a couple also. Can't pin point it either. I just take the easy way out and ignore it.

- Retired Navy Chief
- Vanilla 04 2500 QCSB, 4x4, 48RE w/MagHytec DD, Smarty Jr, 4" Exh, Modded Air Box, Isspro Gauges, Quadzilla RPG w/fuel pressure, DynaTrac front, Coolant By-Pass Filter
- 06 Pilgrim 30RE2SLF-5 13,300lbs loaded. B&W Companion

BobsYourUncle

Surrey, BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/09 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have successfully addressed squeaks under carpet by running screws through the carpet, tightening the floor to the joists. The head of the screw pulls through the carpet, leaving a small hole that disappears into the carpet. Of course, if the carpet is very flat, you may see the hole.

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/09 02:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Earplugs will help.

06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
GVWR 12,200 RAWR 9350
06 Grand Junction 34' High profile 15500 GVWR 3200 pin Mor/ryde 5500 Onan genny Dual A/C Wet bolts
27' Hallett 502, 500HP

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> how do i fix a squeaky floor?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS