Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Will my slide work with the batteries out?

Posted By: renoman69 on 11/20/09 04:35pm

.... and still plugged in to the shore power?

2009 Jayco Eagle Superlite 25.5RKS
2008 Silverado 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax/Allison
Reese 15K slider
Honda EU2000I,
270 watts of Kyocera solar
Blue Sky 3024i MPPT controller
450 AHs of Trojan power
Iota DLS-75/IQ4 converter

Posted By: SCR on 11/20/09 04:42pm

renoman69 wrote:

.... and still plugged in to the shore power?

seems easy enough to find out... disconnect the battery and try the slide.

Posted By: Trailer Trash 2 on 11/20/09 06:04pm

are the motor driven or hydrolic accuated slide.
Mine wont the amp draw is way more than the converter will put out.

Don & Georgia
AKA: Trailer Trash 2
Real trucks don't have spark plugs.
2009, Dodge, 3500, Q Cab, Cum/Diesel, D.R.W.
Pulling a Super Fine Montana 2980RL

Posted By: ReneeG on 11/20/09 05:08pm

Ours won't either. After taking the batteries out for winter storage with the slide out, had to use the manual crank handle to bring it in. First time we did that so it was a good "test run".

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

Posted By: BFL13 on 11/20/09 04:49pm

Ours does but first you have to join the two red wires that normally go on the pos battery post. (somebody on here gave me that tip years ago and I am still grateful.) I use a vice grip pliers for that clamping job on the two wire lugs. The converter has enough oomph to move the slide ok.

I saw in a newer Jayco a warning label that said you needed a battery to operate the slide. I suspect this is only to keep the slide motor pos wire and 'converter' pos wire together on the pos post so there is a path from converter to slide motor. Don't know. Try it out.

2003 Chev 2500HD Gas, 2003 Komfort 26FS 5er
See Profile for Equipment List

Posted By: dodgebob08 on 11/20/09 04:48pm

mine won't, others may, all i know is mine won't. TAFJ.

2008 Dodge 2500 MegaCab CTD
2006 Copper Canyon 295RLS
camping info

Posted By: wild bill on 11/20/09 07:18pm

All are good answers....my hydraulic slide draws over 50 amps to move in and out....Sticker on trailer control panel says battery must be connected to operate slide.

05 Dodge 3500 Q-Cab,GearVendor 8 Sp,PacBrake,Banks intercooler & intake,TST R49,Transferflow 70 tank,TrailerSaver Hitch,05 Raptor 3612,Second AC, solar 6 battery sys Xantrex 3000, WEB SITE
http://home.earthlink.net/~wbrown02/wildbillwashere22/index.html

Posted By: JIMNLIN on 11/20/09 07:35pm

The gear drive and the hydraulic operated systems I've had in two different 5ers wouldn't operate without the battery hooked up.

edit to add that both motors were operated on 12 volts.

* This post was edited 11/21/09 06:25am by JIMNLIN *

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Posted By: Trailer Trash 2 on 11/20/09 10:13pm

I was told that the amp draw on a hydrolic pump can be as high as 100.amps under load according to Lippert Industries, I do not know about the amp draw on a electric motor type, but I do know it is far more than any converter that is installed in any MH, TT, or 5er, can handle. the converter was desined to charge the batteries and run the items in a RV on the 12 volt side , furnace, gas sniffer, circutry in the refrigerator, a few lights here and there. But as a few have stated go try it. disconect those batteries and hook up to the external power and push that button. I will be waiting for the results of the test.
TT2

Posted By: BFL13 on 11/21/09 06:37am

Trailer Trash 2 wrote:

I was told that the amp draw on a hydrolic pump can be as high as 100.amps under load according to Lippert Industries, I do not know about the amp draw on a electric motor type, but I do know it is far more than any converter that is installed in any MH, TT, or 5er, can handle....
TT2

Our Lippert electric slide (about 13.5ft with sofabed and dining area in it) requires a 30amp fuse on the pos wire near the battery according to the specification handout that came with it. It has that. As noted previously, the converter (Parallax 7355) has no trouble running the slide.

I think it is more a question of how the rig is wired and fused where there may not be a path for the converter to run the slide unless their wires are joined at the pos battery post. With no battery just join those wires with vice grips. Our pos wire from the converter has a 40amp fuse near the battery, so when the two wires are joined the converter feeds the slide motor through that 40amp fuse and then the 30amp fuse.

I think ( because the higher voltage source will do the work while the other source is ignored) even when the battery is in and shore power makes converter voltage 13.8 the slide motor will take its amps from the converter anyway instead of from the battery at its 12something volts using the same path--across the battery without going through the battery.

I am thinking with an hydraulic slide that needs more amps than the converter can supply, then the voltage drop of the converter with the slide motor on would get it down to 12 something so now the battery voltage is "seen" by the slide motor as equal to the converter's voltage so the battery can now supply some of those amps to help out the converter.

Perhaps it is an industry standard to give the slide motor its own path to the battery without going through the DC dist fuse panel no idea. On ours the front jacks don't use that DC fuse panel either--and the converter has no trouble running them either.

Posted By: eaw46 on 11/20/09 06:12pm

I would be worried about leaving the unit plugged in for very long without the battery's in it. I am thinking that the converter might go into a heavy charge mode to bring the battery's that are not there up to charge and burn something out. Please note I am not an expert I just think there COULD be a concern. Eddy

Eddy from the Great White North

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 39

Posted By: dougrainer on 11/21/09 07:56am

Trailer Trash 2 wrote:

I was told that the amp draw on a hydrolic pump can be as high as 100.amps under load according to Lippert Industries, I do not know about the amp draw on a electric motor type, but I do know it is far more than any converter that is installed in any MH, TT, or 5er, can handle. the converter was desined to charge the batteries and run the items in a RV on the 12 volt side , furnace, gas sniffer, circutry in the refrigerator, a few lights here and there. But as a few have stated go try it. disconect those batteries and hook up to the external power and push that button. I will be waiting for the results of the test.
TT2

You know that how??? The smallest Converter is 30 amp (no one uses them anymore) most use a 45 or 55 amp converter. The AMP draw of a standard Slide electric motor is about 9 amps. So, the fuse on a slide out system is either a 15 or 20 amp depending on the system. The Converter will supply more than enough dc voltage/amps to run any DC electric slide system without a battery. Of course I know this because I have 30 years RV tech experiance and have worked on hundreds of slide rooms over the years, MANY with dead/ defective batteries, that the only way to extend and retract the room was to utilize the Power Converter. NO Power Converter will be able to safely run a Hydraulic operated room without a good battery connected. A LCI (Lippert) hydraulic pump pulls 45 to 60 amps when running. Doug

Posted By: dougrainer on 11/20/09 07:38pm

The OP has a Jayco (12 volt electric slide). So, yes, his slides will operate without the batteries connected. But it is NOT a good idea to do it all the time as it puts a heavy load on the Converter. Doug

Posted By: Jerry9n on 11/20/09 07:54pm

I asked WFCO about operating the convertor without a battery and Mr. Derrow responded that it could EXCEPT to operate the slide. I might qualify by saying I asked about my specific convertor which I believe is a 55 amp.

Jerry9n
2009 23' Cikira Escape EXP
2006 Ford Expedition
Reese Pro Series SC
Tekonsha Primus IQ
HTT Mods

Posted By: Trailer Trash 2 on 11/21/09 03:43pm

dougrainer wrote:

Trailer Trash 2 wrote:

TT2

You know that how??? The smallest Converter is 30 amp (no one uses them anymore) most use a 45 or 55 amp converter. The AMP draw of a standard Slide electric motor is about 9 amps. So, the fuse on a slide out system is either a 15 or 20 amp depending on the system. The Converter will supply more than enough dc voltage/amps to run any DC electric slide system without a battery. Of course I know this because I have 30 years RV tech experiance and have worked on hundreds of slide rooms over the years, MANY with dead/ defective batteries, that the only way to extend and retract the room was to utilize the Power Converter. NO Power Converter will be able to safely run a Hydraulic operated room without a good battery connected. A LCI (Lippert) hydraulic pump pulls 45 to 60 amps when running. Doug

Please read.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/dkr9925/Lippert.jpg

Posted By: ReneeG on 11/21/09 01:44pm

eaw46 wrote:

I would be worried about leaving the unit plugged in for very long without the battery's in it. I am thinking that the converter might go into a heavy charge mode to bring the battery's that are not there up to charge and burn something out. Please note I am not an expert I just think there COULD be a concern. Eddy

This wasn't the original question.

Posted By: dougrainer on 11/21/09 05:18pm

Trailer Trash 2 wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

Trailer Trash 2 wrote:

TT2

Please read.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/dkr9925/Lippert.jpg

The actual amp draw is the 45 to 60 amps. That TSB is for the CB for the system. I HAVE done the actual amp draw for diagnostics for the LCI pump and that is what it actually pulls. What is your point?? Doug

Print  |  Close