|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Protect-a-Tow

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
chastho

arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/09 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

catkins wrote:

I have a drop down hitch on the MH and did NOT account for the extra length when I ordered. After one 65 day trip to Alaksa, the "bungee" type cord is tattered and failing is several spots. That said, the protect a Tow did as advertised. I had hoped it would last longer and feel the failure is somewhat my fault for failing to measure properly. Not sure if I will replace it or not.............
You can replace just the bungee cord, it's easy to do.

Finally

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/09 09:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Protect-A-Tow, and it works great. We highly recommend it.

2012 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2005 Tiffin Phaeton Sold
2009 Lincoln MKX
and Milli

dav5942

Stuart, FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/09 05:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chastho wrote:

catkins wrote:

I have a drop down hitch on the MH and did NOT account for the extra length when I ordered. After one 65 day trip to Alaksa, the "bungee" type cord is tattered and failing is several spots. That said, the protect a Tow did as advertised. I had hoped it would last longer and feel the failure is somewhat my fault for failing to measure properly. Not sure if I will replace it or not.............
You can replace just the bungee cord, it's easy to do.

And lengthen the bungee to minimize wear. Would not use anything else then P-A-T! No other protection is necessary on the toad when using the P-A-T.

Met a fellow travelor to Alaska who said he could not figure out how he was getting chips on the back of his coach, then thru his camera system he saw rocks bouncing off of his deflector on his toad and into the rear of his coach!

2007 Newmar 42' Mid Engine w/Fatboy,Grizzly 550s-in Garage,Rubicon w/4" lift,MotorMetal whls,MickeyT Baja tires-Cherokee w/4"lift in tow, Hog Valley FL(a diamond in the rough)
2010 Part2

Alaska Fishing Newmar Mid Engine 2010 Sportfishing

WillieD

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/09 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

WillieD wrote:

"When you are turning how does the Protect-A-Tow react, move with you".

The sides of the Protect-A-Tow are connected to the toad and the MH by a bungie cord threaded through a hem in the fabric. As the two vehicles turn, the short side shrinks and the long side stretches. A pretty simple setup, but very effective...

Thanks for the information, seems simple enough, I will need to have one of these.

WillieD,MaryLee,and Sid
Fleetwood Excursion 40X & 2011 Colorado 4X4 Toad

Clieb

Carlsbad, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/09 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at the Protect-A-Tow, but I have rear exhaust so no go.
I also looked at Blue Ox Sport but again the exhaust pipe gets in the way.
I looked at mounting a flap or brush skirt under the exhaust on the frame but it would be mounted too low and the first time I went in a drive with an incline it would be knocked off or bent.
The shield type is awfully expensive and cumbersome.

Unless someone has a better idea, I think I will use a hose, spray nozzle, and squeege.

An RV'r is someone driving a $300,000.00 Motorhome pulling a $40,000.00 car and looking for a free place to park.
2002 Itasca Horizon 36'
2009 Buick Enclave

doc brown

Redondo Beach, CA,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/09 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goodcruisin wrote:

Another satisfied Protect-A-Tow customer. No new chips in the paint since I started using it.

Ditto here. However, I did replace the foldable bar and now I use a solid PVC pipe with the original clip ends attached.

Steve,Kathy,Josh & Morpheus the Basenji
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2008 Wrangler X Rubicon/Blue OX Tow Bar/Ready Brake

TripleE

Traveling the country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/09 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made my own protect-a-tow so I was able to make it longer than the "real" ones. It was also a lot cheaper. If you have a rear exhaust you can made one with an opening for the exhaust pipe. It worked well on our Alaska trip and would on any dirt or gravel roads. It also keeps tar and rocks off when driving on roads under construction.

Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/09 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TripleE wrote:

I made my own protect-a-tow so I was able to make it longer than the "real" ones. It was also a lot cheaper. If you have a rear exhaust you can made one with an opening for the exhaust pipe. It worked well on our Alaska trip and would on any dirt or gravel roads. It also keeps tar and rocks off when driving on roads under construction.

I've thought about making my own as well. What fabric did you use for yours?

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

WillieD

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/09 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clieb wrote:

I looked at the Protect-A-Tow, but I have rear exhaust so no go.
I also looked at Blue Ox Sport but again the exhaust pipe gets in the way.
I looked at mounting a flap or brush skirt under the exhaust on the frame but it would be mounted too low and the first time I went in a drive with an incline it would be knocked off or bent.
The shield type is awfully expensive and cumbersome.

Unless someone has a better idea, I think I will use a hose, spray nozzle, and squeege.

I called PAT yesterday and questioned them on a few of these concern. They said if your exhaust is 3"-4" from the PAT cover there should be no problems. Best to connect your tow to your MH, take measurements from the back of your MH to the front of your tow, and measure from your exhaust to where the PAT would be, also good to take a picture of your set up and send to them for evaluation.

MarcW

Tucson, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/09 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one and subsequently removed 40 lb swinging weight under the rear. It does the job.
One thing I've noticed is how un-inventive so many here seem to be. If the exhaust is too close... cut a hole in it. If you need to be shown where the hole needs to be, run it once and the exhaust will show you. A exhaust pipe size hole or a patch or two (heavy duty nylon screen material and silicone from the local hardware works fine) to re-enforce it where it rubs on the tow bar or whatever, doesn't keep it from working and it will not fall apart due to a few modifications.
Really... nothing protects the car better. Just make it work. It's not rocket science.

2007 Monaco Dynasty Emperor IV
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Protect-a-Tow
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: