|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Oil vs ceramic heater

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
bacardiron

squamish, bc canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/09 12:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wondering which is better for winter storage, a ceramic heater or an oil filled radiant heat heater?

Xpltivdletd

WV, U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/09 12:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, this will sound like a brand-name plug, and so-be-it. I first saw one of these oil-filled heaters while assigned to a permanent-Shore-Patrol detachment overseas. It was a DeLonghi™ with the simplest mechanical thermostat they make. It was in a sheltered waiting-area for those who missed the 0200 liberty-boat out of La Maddalena. So it was treated with all the respect one might expect, exposed to irate, immature and intoxicated personnel with no witnesses.

Nobody knew for sure how long it had been there. It was working when I saw it first. It was working a year and a half later when I saw it last. THEY couldn't break it.

It may be that other brands than DeLonghi™ are as durable, or maybe not. My experience is with that one and I know those are uncommonly reliable. I don't know if their fancied-up models (with plastic bodywork & digital controls) are as good. But I'd keep one of those basic ones for the purpose you describe, for as long as I could still lift it aboard in the Fall and stow it away in the Spring. Best regards.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/09 12:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I would not pick either of them.

The oil filled heaters that I have seen are to large for use in a RV, and storage there. The ceramic heaters are normally tiny, but put out heat that is very hot temperature. I don't like a heater that puts out air warmer than about 100 - 110F. Certain fabrics and newspapaer can be lit by certain ceramic heaters, so you have to make sure a blanket never falls on a working heater, or napkin, kleenex, ect.

Also the oil filled heaters will heat a room, but not quickly. Yes they will heat the room in say 15 - 30 minutes. But my portable heater can be blowing warm air in my feet or dry my damp shoes after a warm up of only 5 seconds it is putting out air that is about 25F warmer than the inlet air. And the oil filled heater would need to be shut off to cool about 10 minutes before storing it in a closet, while a normal electric heater can be unplugged and put right away into the closet without worry about it scorching something.

Yes you can lean a hot oil heater against a fabric and discolor it.

And the oil heater retains heat after it is unplugged for a while. So it keeps heating the room after you left it. Desirable by most, but not by me.

I have Holmes 1,500 watt heaters with thermostat, high and low heat settings. Only about $15 each.

Good Luck,

Fred.

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/09 12:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny thing you should ask. I just posted the following in the blog that I send to our family.

So often, when you purchase a new product, it does not reach the advertising “hype” or even reasonable expectations that you may have for the product. It is refreshing when a product performs even better than you expect it to. Thus is the case of our new Lasco electric space heaters.

We purchased one, for the main room of the camper about a week ago. It works so well that we purchased another for use in the bathroom to blow hot air into the bedroom. The bedroom itself is too tight to put a heater inside it and still remain safely away from combustibles. By placing the heater in the bathroom, it still has enough power to blow the warm air into the bedroom, yet be away from combustibles. We used to heat the camper with three 1500 watt “cube” ceramic heaters. They could do the job, but down around 30 degrees, they could not keep up.

These new Lasco heaters actually work really well. They are about two feet tall, about 12 inches in diameter, have a thermostat, and oscillate. I was hesitant about a heater that oscillates, thinking the movement would cool the air rather than heating it. No true. We now heat the camper very warm with two, instead of three, 1500 watt heaters. These are the same electric draw (1500 watt) as the old ones. We went down to 31 degrees last night and these heaters had to be turned down to LOW as HIGH was just too hot!!! About $ 40.00 each in Wal Mart. Great product and works well. If you have any space heating needs, try these out.

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

cpaulsen

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/09 02:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always use an oil filled heater in ours......its quiet and works just great. Have one in there right now just keeping the temps right during our cold spell...2 degrees in the morning and upper 20's during the day.

cpaulsen

BRAVE

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/09 04:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can also attest to the durability and evenness of the oil-filled heaters. Discoloring fabric or staying warm after unplugging isn't a deal breaker for most people storing an RV. I like them because they put out a decent amount of heat, there's no risk of a fire (since there's no exposed heating element) and they keep on ticking.

Jack

Jack and Julee Meltzer
The RV Makeover Bible

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/09 06:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok - I don't get it. Why are we heating an RV in storage?

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/09 04:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oil filled by far. just set at a low temp and have continuous even heating. no on and off cycle like with a ceramic. and a ceramic will scorch bed linen if pressed against one, don't ask how I know. and you were talking about "for storage" so an immediate heat is not important, but continuous even heating is. also, I bought a newer one from Sams club that is about 2/3 the bulk of the standard ones, $54. also, for use during storage, size is irrelevant. just don't use the old style ones with an exposed heating element.
bumpy

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/09 04:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bacardiron wrote:

Just wondering which is better for winter storage, a ceramic heater or an oil filled radiant heat heater?

I wouldn't use an unattended heater for storage, but I like the ceramic or even the normal type that oscillates. An oscillating heater will beat the even wider heat argument often cited as a reason for the oil filled fans. They have a much smaller footprint (like 6x6x12 inches) vs. the oil filled that have to go on the floor and are much larger and heavier. As far as the fire danger who in the world would put any heater next to drapes, etc. You sit it on a countertop and not on the floor to begin with so IMHO the fire worry should be zero.

Larry

* This post was edited 12/11/09 05:10am by LarryJM *

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Deus Ex Machina

Central New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/09 05:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see the point of running a heater all winter if you have properly winterized your rig. Just a waste of electricity (sorry, "hydro" for you folks).

Paul

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Oil vs ceramic heater
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS