Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Cedar Creek vs Montana -

Posted By: texder on 12/29/09 07:09am

WHich is a better unit. Is one built better and which has fewer problems? Which has the better resale value, any ideas, thanks.

tex

Posted By: Hotel California on 12/29/09 07:25am

I don't know anything about Montana, but Cedar Creek is better.

Doug & Juanita
2014 Cedar Creek Touring Edition
The Cedar Creek RV Owners Club

Posted By: Flintstones on 12/29/09 07:37am

I compared both at the Boston RV Show two years ago, the fit and finish, cabinetry and drawer construction, subfloor, lighting, cargo storage door size, and other items. The Cedar Creek was superior hands down.

I presently own a 2007 Cedar Creek, it's been the very best rv I have owned, (two prior fifth wheels) I have replaced three mini blinds and three interior door knobs in three years, that's it.

Posted By: james ryan on 12/29/09 07:41am

???????????????????????

2003 gmc 3500 dually 2004 prowler regal

Posted By: HamsHog on 12/29/09 07:51am

Hey Texder,

I own a Jayco, so have no dog in the fight. We've been looking at 5th wheels and toyhaulers for a while now. Been in many Montana's, Big Sky's, Cardinals, and was just yesterday in a Cedar Creek. Just based on the countertops and a couple other amenities, I was not at all impressed with the Cedar Creek. In fact after looking at some of Forest Rivers top of the line toyhaulers, Forest River products are completely off our list..

Regards, Hamshog

2009 Silverado 2500HD EC/SB Dmax/Alli - SuperGlide 18K - Firestone Bags - 265/75R16's -
2010 Carri-Lite 36XTRM5 w/ Big Foot - Champion 4000W
2005 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited LJ
2007 Fleetwood Pegasus Ultralite M-180FQ

Posted By: spadoctor on 12/29/09 07:53am

check out KZ products....you won't buy either of the others

Posted By: donn0128 on 12/29/09 08:16am

I just love these A vs B threads. All sorts of people come out of the wood work claiming theirs is best. IMHO, since it is YOUR money why are you asking a bunch of strangers?
Go out and get rid of the salesman and sit in each one. Pretend you are sitting on the toilet, taking a shower, sleeping in the bed, getting dressed, making a meal, watching TV. Which one do YOU like the best. Look for things like where do you place a garbage can in the kitchen area? Are the chairs comfortable for you and DW? Can you comfortably watch TV without getting a neck strain? How about the lighting and the placement of them? Is it sufficient for your life style? See what I am driving at? If you happen to be 300 pounds and 6'6 inches tall you might not like the recliners I have in my fiver. Same holds true if you happen to be 5'5 and 150 pounds. Same for the bed. Montana has been number one in sales for a long time for a reason. My opinion or what I bought and for what reasons I bought it are not relevant to this discussion. It is your money remember!
P.S. I tow a Cedar Creek with a Dodge.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

Posted By: donhov on 12/29/09 08:26am

As I own a Cedar Creek my opinion is very biased toward them but as donn0128 said look carefully. I like my Creek due to the factory response to any problems we have had. Absolutely no difficulties including items out of warranty still being fixed. We live in ouyrs 8 months out of the year and are on our 4th year of doing so and other than we need a bigger 5er have no complaints with the Creek. BUT there have been many Montana and other brands that the owners have the same comments about. I think Cedar Creek builds a very good trailer but I also am not foolish enough to think they are the only builders of quality 5ers. Look carefully at quality, not pretty, look an many and then make a learned decision from whatever responses you get.

2003 Cedar Creek 30RLBS
2007 Dodge 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel 325hp/610Tq
4x4 3.73 axles short bed
Inferno Red W/Gold pinstripping

Posted By: BB_TX on 12/29/09 08:41am

Hotel California wrote:

We have an '07 Montana that has been completely trouble free and we could not be happier with our purchase. 8500 miles and 73 nights so far.
Although we bought the Montana, I am in no way bias for or against either. We looked at both the Montana and Cedar Creek a long time before deciding. Both appear to be equal.

Posted By: AttilaTheHun on 12/29/09 09:10am

We've had our Cedar Creek for about 5 years and absolutely love it. The only problem we had with it thus far is our microwave went bad in the 3rd year (covered under warranty) and our cable to our black tank snapped. That was a bit of a pain to fix. Other than that no other issues to mention. We use it for 6 months out of the year at our seasonal site just about every weekend. I've always liked the Montana's but found that the Cedar Creek had the floor plan that we really wanted and Montana didn't. Every brand is going to have their issues at one time or another, it's really about who is going to stand behind their product and which dealership is going to work with their customer the best.

Attila, Christy, Olivia, Faith and 3 spoiled beagles
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW Crew Cab 6.7 4x4
2004 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1
2010 Open Range 399BHS

Posted By: Mile High on 12/29/09 09:25am

Both of our Montanas have served us well. This last one has been nearly trouble free.

If I were to buy again, I would also look at the Cedar Creek - they seem to be a nice unit.

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 12/29/09 09:38am

check out a blue book for prices. new vs 3 years old, etc. for both companies.
bumpy

Posted By: Hotel California on 12/29/09 10:32am

BB_TX wrote:

Hotel California wrote:

We have an '07 Montana that has been completely trouble free and we could not be happier with our purchase. 8500 miles and 73 nights so far.
Although we bought the Montana, I am in no way bias for or against either. We looked at both the Montana and Cedar Creek a long time before deciding. Both appear to be equal.

I knew I'd get one on that hook!

Posted By: mockturtle on 12/29/09 08:00am

We've had friends with both, and the Cedar Creek is, IMHO, better than the Montana in construction, fit and finish. No experience living in them, although the Cedar Creek owners were happier with their rig than the Montana owners were.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX
Chevy 3500HD, V8

Posted By: DelawareCamper on 12/29/09 10:52am

We went to the Atlantic city RV show 2 years ago and the both units were only 2 rows away from each othere, We took about 5 hours looking over everything we could think of and ended up with the Cedar Creek.

Mike & Denise
2011 Silverado 3500HD Dually CC 4x4 LT1 D/A
2014 KZ GoldRush Nugget
PullRite 20.5 Super 5th & SuperRails

PICS

Posted By: Chris on 12/29/09 11:05am

I think you read about less unhappy Cedar Creek owners. Of course is is a little less of a MASS produced product than the Montana PHENOMENON!

Chris

* This post was edited 12/29/09 04:16pm by Chris *

My Rig
2001.5 2500 STD CAB AUTO SLT 4x4, CTD 4:10's, Bomb'd to Tow
2005 Cardinal 29WBLX.

Posted By: richfaa on 12/29/09 11:11am

They are both fine campers.They are built using the same vendors, same workforce, same assembly line procedures and are built just a few miles from one another. Both companies build good ones and bad ones. We purchased a Montana because it best suited our needs and the OP should purchase the RV that best suits their needs. The Montana has served us well. We have friends with a Cedar Creek and it has served them well. Mine is better than yours,,that really helps!!!!!!

2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

Posted By: fla-gypsy on 12/29/09 11:38am

They are both nice campers, get the one you like the best.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Posted By: SuperdutyII on 12/29/09 12:14pm

I would expand your search beyond these two. There are better units than these two.

Posted By: Tobie105 on 12/29/09 01:10pm

Well I guess the cedar creek is best...Been to both factorys and cc just had the best of the best...Now you know i've had several cc and thats my two cents worth..

Cedar Creek Rv Owners Club <<-- Come join The fun.

Posted By: JRMora on 12/29/09 02:25pm

Another Creeker here. I won't say ours is best because we've never owned a Montana, but our unit has been very sturdy for us. We've weekend camped, taken it on several cross country trips (the last being 23 days/4600+ miles),and have lived in it for up to six months in both 110 degree Georgia summers and -30 degree Colorado winters. It's been pretty trouble free.

The only issues have been with the convection oven (it seems to randomly blow fuses) and the Concertone stereo has been replaced twice.

All running gear has been trouble free. I would buy another without hesitation.

Juan

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD/4X4/DRW/6 Speed
2005 Cedar Creek 36RLTS

Truck: B&W, Prodigy, Line-X, MBRP, Pac Brake PRXB, Ride Rites, Onboard Air
Trailer: TrailAir, Onan 6500W LP, Dual AC, King Bed, Commercial TA's

My RV Photos

Us: Juan/Lyn/Nick/Quino/Rico (3 Boys!)

Posted By: richfaa on 12/29/09 02:33pm

"Well I guess the cedar creek is best...Been to both factorys and cc just had the best of the best...Now you know i've had several cc and thats my two cents worth..
" I am curious. We also been to both factories as well as the Jayco
Cardinal, Hitchhiker, Heartland, Couger, Springdale, Coachman and found them with perhaps the exception of the Hitchhiker operation, pretty much identical. What did you find different between the two plants.??

Posted By: up2nogood on 12/29/09 03:09pm

richfaa wrote:

"Well I guess the cedar creek is best...Been to both factorys and cc just had the best of the best...Now you know i've had several cc and thats my two cents worth..
" I am curious. We also been to both factories as well as the Jayco
Cardinal, Hitchhiker, Heartland, Couger, Springdale, Coachman and found them with perhaps the exception of the Hitchhiker operation, pretty much identical. What did you find different between the two plants.??

Rich, you should know by now this is a futile attempt, the biased opinions are all that the op is going to get. Looks like on this thread more of the Cedar Creek fans are responding than the Montana fans ,thus I guess to the op go buy a Cedar Creek , but on the other hand maybe the Montana has something you like better so now what ?????? My point is I think most are on the fence and are leaning one way or the other, and when they ask this question it helps make up there minds, they may like the Montana better, but think the Cedar Creek is better, and after reading all this junk they will just go ahead and buy what they like in the first place. I very much doubt either one has anything over on the other.

Let me make it easy for the OP what front graphics do you like the best ?? I think this will be the best way to pick from the two, the rest is sixes

Posted By: up2nogood on 12/29/09 03:15pm

SuperdutyII wrote:

I would expand your search beyond these two. There are better units than these two.

Maybe you can be more helpful, what would you suggest in the SAME PRICE RANGE, that would be better than the two mentioned. Yes there are many that are PROBABLY better, but at what cost.

Posted By: Just Lee on 12/29/09 03:37pm

How about throwing in a Cardinal into the mix?

If It weren't for flash backs I would have no Memory at all
If you don't stand behind our TROOPS feel free to stand in front of them during a fire fight

2013 View Profile 24G
96 Tracker 4x4 Pushing a Mercedes.

In God We Trust ALL Others pay CASH

Posted By: Cruzette on 12/29/09 03:39pm

Only the people who have owned both a Montana and a Cedar Creek 5er can really compare the two and answer your question. The rest of us can only tell you what we like about what we own or have owned.

I can tell you that last May we bought a brand new Cedar Creek 5er and are VERY happy with it. We've been out in it about 20 times since we bought it, nothing too far from home, but we do try to get out once or twice a month.

The only issue we've had with our Cedar Creek 5er is with the Concertone stereo. It's been replaced. It's a known fact that Cedar Creek has had issues with their Concertone stereos. They replaced ours ASAP no questions asked. They delivered a new stereo to our dealer within 2 weeks of our complaint and the dealer swapped it out while we waited and it took about 2 hours.

We've been RVing for 13 years now, we bought two used 5ers previously (different brands). The Cedar Creek is our very first brand new 5er. The reason why we decided on the CC over any other brand we looked at was because it met every one of our items on our "must have" list.

You need to decide what you want in a new RV and go shopping.

It doesn't matter where you go in life.........it's who you have beside you

Judy and DH Ray
Boomer & Petie Pie
2004 Country Coach 40' Inspire "Da Vinci"

Posted By: ford truck guy on 12/29/09 03:55pm

I have owned NEITHER and can not tell you what to buy,just make sure it is what is best for you. I will say that there are alot more Montana's seen on the roads,what does that mean I have been to several RV shows and have seen plenty of NICE fivers and would have no problem spending YOUR money for you Good luck in your buying decision >>>> Joe

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
08 Montego Bay
Here are my pictures

Posted By: Hotel California on 12/29/09 04:24pm

up2nogood wrote:

...Let me make it easy for the OP what front graphics do you like the best?? I think this will be the best way to pick from the two...

I agree! Cedar Creek has awesome front (side and rear too) graphics.

Posted By: richfaa on 12/29/09 04:29pm

I have no preference in Rv brand. We purchase what meets our needs. We have had 5 rv's..all different brands.. We do not live far from the Elkhart area and do rallies in that area every year as well as having work done at the Keystone service center, Mor Ryde plant and Lippert plant. Since 2004 we have toured most every plant in the area in our search for a 5th wheel and we tour the Montana Plant every year at our rally. Many of the plants are identical. The vendor trucks go from plant to plant delivering the same product. The workforce in each plant looks the same. The assembly lines are nearly identical.They all work the same hours. We would have just as well purchased a Jayco, Cardinal, Cedar Creek IF they had meet our personal needs. Now the Nu Wa operation is a different story. They are or were last time we toured , a class act. Squeaky clean plant, you could feel the difference.We just could not afford the Nu Wa product we would have liked. This mine is better because I have one is nonsense and helps no one. These guys are far more alike..than different.. IMO

Posted By: Splashers3 on 12/29/09 05:08pm

There are more Chevy cars on the roads than Lexus cars - does that mean Chevys are better?

Pick the floor plan that you like best...If all things are considered equal, the floor plan is what you live with.

Have fun picking....

OBTW - looked at JAYCOs, both wife & I agreed, they were not as good as our CC Silverback.

2008 GMC Sierra C/C 2500HD D/A - w/Titan 52Gal tank
Upgraded Pro Comp 8" wide wheels; LT265s
Ride Rite Airbags, Trail Air Pin Box, Garmin Nuvi 1450LMT,
Blue Ox Bed Saver, TST Tire Monitor, Yamaha EF2000is,
2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL w/ XPS RIBS

Posted By: Cool Canuck on 12/29/09 05:14pm

JRMora wrote:

Another Creeker here. I won't say ours is best because we've never owned a Montana, but our unit has been very sturdy for us. We've weekend camped, taken it on several cross country trips (the last being 23 days/4600+ miles),and have lived in it for up to six months in both 110 degree Georgia summers and -30 degree Colorado winters. It's been pretty trouble free.

The only issues have been with the convection oven (it seems to randomly blow fuses) and the Concertone stereo has been replaced twice.

Juan

I'd like to hear more about that 6 months @ -30.

04 Everest 343L
2011 F250 PSD CC

SOLD - 01 F250 PSD S/C S/B
SOLD - 00 Jayco 313

Posted By: JH Davis on 12/29/09 05:22pm

I would determin what you plan on doing with it, fulltimer, summer in the south, winter in the north, the whole family or just you. What kind of travel, boondocking, or full hookup resort. Terrain traveling over, mountainous or the flat heartland. knowing these will help you idnetify the attributes you will need, then select the best unit you can with these attributes. I have been rving for four years, and still learn more each day. get something you will enjoy.

2008 Ford F350 Dually (Diesel Powerstroke)
2008 Keystone Fuzion 302 (Fifth Wheel Toyhauler)
Onan Marquis Gold 5500 Genset (in 5'er)
Native MantaRay 11 (angler) Kayak
Native MantaRay 15 Kayak
Beagle "Guard Hound"
US Army Retired Engineer (Airborne)

Posted By: john b on 12/29/09 05:43pm

I really don't know but right now we are in a southern Rv resort with 100 sites. There are 35 Montanas and 8 Cedarcreeks here. Also I understand for the last 5 or so years Montanas have been the largest selling units.We have friends That really use theirs and both of them love them with a lot of miles on them..IMHO Happy new year

2001 F 350 CC PSD 373 rear,auto
RBW X16 slider,Bedsaver,Prodigy,Fold A Cover,Pressure Pro!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser cf32mk Patriot edit. 5th wheel Fibreglass and all the goodies necessary,Dish,comfy loungers,and a nickel to spend,
Mr & Mrs and the PUP.

Posted By: Jimfromvirginia on 12/29/09 07:04pm

john b wrote:

I really don't know but right now we are in a southern Rv resort with 100 sites. There are 35 Montanas and 8 Cedarcreeks here. Also I understand for the last 5 or so years Montanas have been the largest selling units.We have friends That really use theirs and both of them love them with a lot of miles on them..IMHO Happy new year

Enough said! Seen this here in Virginia as well. We have Montana and absolutely love it.

2008 Keystome Montana towed by 2003 Ford F350 4x4 Diesel

Posted By: colliehauler on 12/29/09 07:29pm

Lets see I have a Keystone so it has to be the best. I have a Forest River so it has to be the best. And the beat goes on.

Posted By: Delaine and Lindy on 12/29/09 08:53pm

Don't know for sure which is the best, but for the last 8 years Montana has been the best selling 5th wheel in America, and I believe they are going to win the 9 year also. They must be doing something right. Really it is a decision you have to make everyone thinks theirs is the best. Just ask them. Good Luck on your decision. GBY.....

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's LTZ ******Traded******
Trailer Saver Air Ride (SOLD) (Sold)

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3, with vanity slide (SOLD)

"Montana" our Sweet Furr Kid
12/21/10 "RIP" miss you!!

We are BLESSED!!!!

Posted By: goin2themountains on 12/29/09 11:09pm

Looked at both, felt the construction and ammenities were very comparable. Bought the Montana on the floorplan. What my dear departed DW wanted, she got. My advise is go look at both, set in 'em, walk around, pretend your using appliances, showers etc. Whichever feels more comfortable, buy it and have lots of happy miles.

Puller: '08 HD3500 4x4 dually,CC Duramax/Allison.
Pullee: 2008 Montana 3605RL 10th Anniversary Package, Reese 16k w/ slider (holdover from old shortbed)

Posted By: JRMora on 12/30/09 04:23am

Cool Canuck wrote:

I'd like to hear more about that 6 months @ -30.

OK wiseguy. I was six months in CO with temps that dropped to as low as -30, I was staying in Larkspur, CO on a mostly unprotected hillside at nearly 7800' msl during the winter of 2006-07. Went through a boatload of Propane during the coldest spells (i didn't skirt the trailer) but nothing froze up. If I can find a pic for you I will.

Better?

Go Flames!

Posted By: Chris on 12/30/09 06:38am

john b wrote:

I posted this comment on page two of this thread. "Of course is is a little less of a MASS produced product than the Montana PHENOMENON!"

As just about everyone has pointed out, all the mid level trailers are about the same quality. So how does one figure out the "Montana PHENOMENON", selling about as many mid level trailers as the others combined.

We looked at HHII, Carriage, and Sunnybrook all 10K more, and then at Cardinal and Montana. We purchased the Cardinal for the king bed, nice computer desk and the fact that many of the Montana cabinets where mounted REALLY high of the walls. Plus my wife thought it was too dark inside.

Chris

Posted By: richfaa on 12/30/09 06:58am

There are 35 Montanas and 8 Cedarcreeks here" Now there is a good idea.Lets settle the arguement on which is better by counting the number of said brands in the campgrounds.. It is as good a method as any???/

Including ours there are only 4 Montana's here at this florida C.G. We see no Cedar Creeks.. Yet..

Posted By: Ford Man on 12/30/09 07:45am

MONTANA - I have owned 3 Montanas a 2003, 2006, and a 2010. I have been in Cedar Creeks and they are not near a nice and the quality is not as good as the Montana. I have had almost minimal problems out of the Montanas that I have owned. Hands down go with the Montana!!

Posted By: Jarand on 12/30/09 08:03am

We fell into a deal on a 2009 Montana Hickory Edition. The Hickory Editions have a lot of upgrades and it was a floor plan we really liked. But that doesn't mean Montanas are better--just the right unit at the right time for us.

I agree with the posters who say to look at floor plans and imagine yourself living in it.

Posted By: Chris on 12/30/09 08:10am

richfaa wrote:

There are 35 Montanas and 8 Cedarcreeks here" Now there is a good idea.Lets settle the arguement on which is better by counting the number of said brands in the campgrounds.. It is as good a method as any???/

Including ours there are only 4 Montana's here at this florida C.G. We see no Cedar Creeks.. Yet..

We only have a few Mobile Suites in the park here, so all the Montana's MUST be better trailers?????????

NOT!

That why I said Montana PHENOMENON! They are not better or worst than any other mid level trailer. They gained traction in the market place that no one has been able to equal. It is not that they are any better than the other mid level trailers - its a Montana PHEOMENON! Someone is always going to be out front, but they ended up way out front. I would call it luck, as they have had their share of frame issues along the way to the top of the sales charts.

Chris

* This post was edited 12/30/09 08:20am by Chris *

Posted By: Sargehut234 on 12/30/09 08:18am

We owned two Forrest River products prior to the Montana, and we will never
buy another Forrest River.

Happy and save New Year to all.

SARGE

Posted By: Chris on 12/30/09 08:28am

Sargehut234 wrote:

We owned two Forrest River products prior to the Montana, and we will never
buy another Forrest River.

Happy and save New Year to all.

SARGE

Forrest River has many lines of trailers from entry to upper mid levels, so maybe your FR trailers where lemons and oranges, and your Montana is an apple!

And over time all trailers have improved on features and decor!

Chris

* This post was edited 12/30/09 08:42am by Chris *

Posted By: Delaine and Lindy on 12/30/09 03:21pm

I don't know if there is a best?? But I do know there is a RV for everyone. And it will be a good RV or not so good. It depends on the person and their ability to deal with problems. My hair use to be dark it is now grey/white. Many people are like us, back in 2005 we looked at a Mobile Suites and when we seen the MSRP we ran out the door, that was a big mistake. Since then we have owned 6 5th wheel two of which were Mobile Suites. Do we have the best 5th wheel, for us it is. It meets all of our expectations, and we are very pleased. But a Mobile Suites isn't for everyone! I do believe you should spend the money and go to Goshen and tour the factorys, and see behind the walls. And for sure look at the different frames. Lippert builds more than 90% of the frames on 5th wheels. And if you don't want a Lippert frame your choices will be very limited. You will see similar components used in all, but ask how many units they build in a month. As for dealerships thats a hit or miss thing, manufactors don't have a lot of influence on them. Just do a lot of research and look at more that 2 5th wheels. As for how many Montana's vs Cedar Creeks in a RV park, I have always seen more Montana's than any brand in the Parks, here its 11 Montana's vs 4 Cedar Creeks. Good Luck to the OP, and enjoy what ever you buy. Life is a Unknown, live every day if its the first and last. GBY....

Posted By: donhov on 12/30/09 03:45pm

Don't know the numbers of trailers built by other manufactures but Cedar Creek only builds 12 or so a day and only works 4 days a week. If only these few are made per day how many Montanas are maid daily? Maybe these numbers make the difference in how many of each you see.

Just my opinion.....

Posted By: texder on 12/30/09 05:19pm

Here is what a "salesman" told men. The cedar Creek comes with the true Owens-Corning Fiberglass with high Gel Coat, which is far superior to the Filon Fiberglass used in the Montana since it has much better insulation properties and is easy ro clean. Secondly, the underbelly in a CC is sectoned, not one piece, so if repairs ever need to be done, you do not have to cut the under belly to do maintenance. Third, the CC comes with a 2 ply, Tuff Ply Rubber Roof with fire retardent and the Montana just has the run of the mill 1 piece rubber roof. Fourth, the landing gear on the CC is on th outside of the frame - creates more stability where the Montana has the landing gear on the inside of the frame. Plus the CC is a wide body where the Montana is the standard 8'. How is that for a sales pitch?

Posted By: richfaa on 12/30/09 05:22pm

Don't know how many a day they make now as they have combined some lines due to
the economy. Before this mess hit the industry they were puting out 22 Montana's a day and were back orderd for several months. The name just caught on maybe good marketing and willingness to deal. However..they are still in business..hireing, opening new plants and offering new models. I don't know...

Posted By: NEVERSWEAT7 on 12/30/09 06:03pm

donn0128 wrote:

I just love these A vs B threads. All sorts of people come out of the wood work claiming theirs is best. IMHO, since it is YOUR money why are you asking a bunch of strangers?
Go out and get rid of the salesman and sit in each one. Pretend you are sitting on the toilet, taking a shower, sleeping in the bed, getting dressed, making a meal, watching TV. Which one do YOU like the best. Look for things like where do you place a garbage can in the kitchen area? Are the chairs comfortable for you and DW? Can you comfortably watch TV without getting a neck strain? How about the lighting and the placement of them? Is it sufficient for your life style? See what I am driving at? If you happen to be 300 pounds and 6'6 inches tall you might not like the recliners I have in my fiver. Same holds true if you happen to be 5'5 and 150 pounds. Same for the bed. Montana has been number one in sales for a long time for a reason. My opinion or what I bought and for what reasons I bought it are not relevant to this discussion. It is your money remember!
P.S. I tow a Cedar Creek with a Dodge.

I agree.. in order to see a fifthwheel for what it is, you have to be a fifthwheel. Climb in ,on and around it.. smell it, touch it. take pictures of them. I did all that.. and I got what I wanted. Here is a quote from a salesperson I dealt with. "He who knows the most about what he buys will hands down get the best deal" Know what things cost , what amenities you want and what your willing to sacrifice for them.

Hit the lots.. look at many then narrow them down.

Be frugal, but reasonable. In the end, it is you who must be pleased, opinions here and guesses there will not do you a bit of good when the "mine is better" starts.

2010 F-450 King Ranch Loaded. AeroTank 65 gallon auxillary tank/toolbox with timer,
2005 Alpenlite Portofino/ loaded/ 650 watts Kyocera Solar 2800 Watt Magnum Pure sinewave Inverter
Reese 24K Signature Series Fifthwheel Hitch Sig Series 30K Gooseneck

Posted By: jrs1871 on 12/31/09 05:56am

When we were looking to replace our fifth wheel we researched 5ers for nearly a year and Montana and Cedar Creek were on our short list. We ended up with a Cedar Creek because that was the floor plan that we liked best although I believe we would have been happy with the Montana. The deciding factors, for us, were the fit and finish and more of the things that were important to us were standard items on the CC instead of options. At that time we were not aware of the factory support for warranty and non/warranty issues but we now know that Cedar Creek has been great in this, not that we have had many. But we have friends that have had axle problems, etc. that Cedar Creek stepped up to the plate on. I'm sure there are Montana owners who have similar positive experiences. So it really comes down to what is important to you. As someone previously posted, sit in, lay in the bed, try to visualize how you will use it and make your decision based on that. Above all, don't rush into a decision based on some other persons' perspective.

Posted By: Chris on 12/31/09 06:26am

And always look at it with the slides both out and in, making notes for what is not accessible with the slides in. Chris

Posted By: BB_TX on 12/31/09 11:41am

texder wrote:

Here is what a "salesman" told men. ....... Plus the CC is a wide body where the Montana is the standard 8'. How is that for a sales pitch?

The Cedar Creeks are 96" wide. Last time I checked, that was still 8'. Maybe the salesman has a different tape measure.
Doesn't give a lot of credibility to his other statements.

Posted By: Rubber Ducky on 12/31/09 12:55pm

The Cedar Creek COTTAGE models ARE wide body. They are 102" wide. These are travel trailer type units and not 5th wheels. The COTTAGE line of trailers are probably what some would call PARK models because they are so long you would want to park them and NOT tow them!!!

Robert & Tricia

Posted By: professor95 on 12/31/09 05:51pm

One of the major issues with the current line of towables is who makes the frame, slide units, axles, pumps, pin boxes and jacks. Unfortunately, the industry has elected to purchase the majority of these components from Lippert Industries. IMHO, Lippert makes under engineered and inferior products at the expense of the owner of the RV.

We own a 2009 CC 34SATS, the only problems we have experienced are with the failure of Lippert components. We have replaced the springs due to premature collapse and the front landing jacks due to a cheap, underpowered motor.

When our dealer filed a claim under warranty with Lippert for the springs we spent three weeks getting a real run-around and no parts. When I called CC and asked for help they immediately sent out four new tires, shocks, wheels, springs and hangers from their facility telling me they would take over the claim with Lippert. Note that not all components on a new RV are covered under the OEM manufacturer's warranty - most components are warrantied directly by the maker of that individual component. This includes stoves, refrigerators, air conditioners, water pumps, water heaters, etc. A claim under warranty is filed with the sub-component manufacturer -- not the trailer manufacturer!

The short story is CC immediately provided the parts and labor that should have been provided by Lippert rather than watch me argue with a bunch of incompetents at Lippert who are trained to deny any initial warranty claim issue. Forest River and CC have an excellent reputation for quick resolution of warranty and post-warranty issues no matter who is ultimately responsible.

Knowing this and that Montana also uses Lippert components you would be wise to buy the brand that will back the warranty no-matter-what.

Lippert made components have been the ONLY issue with our Creek. Workmanship and finishing materials are excellent.

Lastly, buy from a dealership that will be there when you need them. If you buy from a dealer that only wants to "sell you", you will regret it later - no matter which brand you buy.

Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.

Posted By: mwebber78 on 12/31/09 06:13pm

Randy - that's some great (and well written) advice.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

Posted By: richfaa on 12/31/09 06:48pm

We had a very similar experience very recently only the brand name was Montana and everything was taken care of. When I got sort of a brush off by Lippert Keystone said.....we will deal with Lippert.. and I guess they did. I am not thrilled with Lippert although we have had no problems having Lippert proplems corrected. We have also seen plenty of cases where the user abused the product contributing to failure.

Posted By: glenski01 on 01/03/10 09:11pm

We also had looked seriously at Montana & Cedar Creek, the dealer was alot on our decision, and went with the Cedar Creek. We have had very few issues with ours in the three years we have now owned it. Fit and finish was excellent from day one to current after quite abit of useage.

2011 Silverado LTZ shortbox 3500HD Duramax
4x4 Crewcab w/2" lift, airlift bags, superglide hitch
N-Fab custom steps.
'08 Cedar Creek 36CDTS
Onan Gen, lower body paint package
"Lakota (Golden Retreiver) and "Astro" (German Shepard)

Posted By: fla-gypsy on 01/04/10 11:25am

JRMora wrote:

Juan

Actually it only feels like a 110* in Georgia and Florida, it rarely gets to 100*

Posted By: Ford Man on 01/07/10 12:13pm

Chris wrote:

And always look at it with the slides both out and in, making notes for what is not accessible with the slides in. Chris

I made that mistake when I bought a 2006 Montana 3000RK you could not get to the refrigerator when the slide outs are in. When we bought the 2010 Montana 3150RL Hickory Edition we made sure that the RV was accessible with the slide outs in. GREAT POINT!

Posted By: azbound on 01/07/10 01:21pm

I believe the Ceder Creek is FR top of the line, while Montana is one step from top of keystone. I believe Big Sky is Keystones top of the line. If I am correct then Ceder Ck. should be a lot nicer than the Montana. If you have looked at both and have to ask which is better, then I would say you have answered your own question. I also do not own either, after my research I chose an other 5er.

Gary and Janet (countryrose)
Rogue River, Or.
2009 Bighorn
2008 Chevy 3500 4X4 D/A DRW

Posted By: professor95 on 01/07/10 08:07pm

There are several different models of the Cedar Creek. Some models, like the Dreamer, are extremely well appointed with amenities.

The floor plan of our unit (34SATS) allows us full access to the kitchen and dining table with both rear section slides closed. While we would not have access to the chest-of-drawers at the foot of the bed, we also have full access to the bath and the bed/closet for sleeping with the bedroom slide closed. Short story is we could function in it while parked in a Wal-Mart lot with all 3 slides pulled in. The only convenience we could not access on the lower level would be the rear mounted TV over the electric fireplace. The one in the bedroom would still be usable.

This was our major reason for selecting the 34SATS floorplan.
This model CC received a score of 178 out of 200 at RVguide.com

Posted By: donn0128 on 01/07/10 09:29pm

Ford Man wrote:

Chris wrote:

I made that mistake when I bought a 2006 Montana 3000RK you could not get to the refrigerator when the slide outs are in. When we bought the 2010 Montana 3150RL Hickory Edition we made sure that the RV was accessible with the slide outs in. GREAT POINT!

See, I have never found this to be as big of a deal as people want to make of it! It takes me all of 30 or so seconds to open the compartment, close the slide valves and only open the living room slide a foot or so to get at the refer. While going down the road we always have an ice chest, so the only time we really need access to the refer is if we stop for lunch. Personally I am more interested in comfort when parked. I spend far more time in a camp ground than I ever do on the road.

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 01/08/10 05:16am

donn0128 wrote:

Ford Man wrote:

Chris wrote:

See, I have never found this to be as big of a deal as people want to make of it! It takes me all of 30 or so seconds to open the compartment, close the slide valves and only open the living room slide a foot or so to get at the refer. While going down the road we always have an ice chest, so the only time we really need access to the refer is if we stop for lunch. Personally I am more interested in comfort when parked. I spend far more time in a camp ground than I ever do on the road.

I think the main issue is that it is NOT necessary to make a compromise on this. I find it very important to have livability with the slides in. there is a reason that the dealer's don't want you to see it with them retracted. I mean putting the slide out half way in a rainstorm, having to rely on an ice box etc. are all compromises that are not necessary. just look for a better floor plan layout.
bumpy

Posted By: ALBE on 01/08/10 08:03am

Have to agree with Donn,takes 10 sec to open the kit slide,10 to close.Hmmmmm thats 20 sec of my holiday time.We initially ruled out a lot of nice plans because of no fridge access,then found the plan we loved,in the length we needed,with no fridge access with slides closed.Absolutly no regrets.

Posted By: Delaine and Lindy on 01/08/10 09:24am

Well I guess if you want to park in a parking lot you might need to be able to access all systems to get to the John. But as was said if I want to get into a certain area we have a seperate button to move each slide. We alway stop ever two hours or so and take a break and we have plenty of time to take care of business. We Love the hydraulic slides. We have access to our Fridge and thats all we need. We wouldn't want another type floorplan, our floorplan works for us. As for the Cedar Creek vs Montana I think either one would be fine, as for which is the best, flip a coin. Its just different needs and wants, but in the end its a matter of choice. GBY...

Posted By: richfaa on 01/08/10 10:59am

Accessibility should always be a consideration but certainly not a determining factor (IMO). These were not meant to be used with the slides in. Slides in are for travel. As stated it take maybe 30 seconds to move a slide out a bit to get access. We can get to our fridge and john with the slides in and if we really want to get comfortable at a lunch stop we can move the main slide out about a foot and get to the dining table. This was a bonus in the floor plan but not a determining factor. For us, and only us, there was far more to consider in the purchase of a 5th wheel other than what we could get to with the slides in.. Althougfh it was a consideration..but far down the list..

Posted By: professor95 on 01/08/10 11:11am

The thread began with a question as to which 5th wheel was better. Fortunately, the comments evolved into what is better for the purchaser and what they should consider. As to which is better - Montanna or CC - I don't know or do I care.

Not all of us travel, park or camp under identical systems. I know it is my preference NOT to open a slide if I need to run out of the house kitchen to "borrow" something out of the RV fridge and so on.....

Truthfully, we have never stayed at a Wal-Mart and probably never will. I made that statement since some Wal-Marts do not allow slide deployment when parked on their lot - another item for the buyer to consider. Again, based on their camping style.

One of the worse mistakes you can make other than incorrect size and weight for your TV is a floor plan that is not "workable" for you and your size family. We have a 38 foot 14,000 pound fifth wheel and one of the first questions I am always asked by someone interested is, "How many people will it sleep?". My answer is, "Two -- any more than that and you get a tent or motel room."

Posted By: SuperdutyII on 03/22/10 01:33pm

I think using quantity sold as the only qualifier to determine which is the "best 5th wheel" is very dangerous. "Beta" video tape was much better than VHS but VHS sold more and became the defacto standard. If "Montana" is the best we sure wouldn't want to have anything to do with anything worse. I think "Montana" has the marketing hype and bells and whistles presentation a little more refined than other manufacturers which causes their customers to not see the relatively poor quality underneath. They just have too many major warranty and major after warranty issues such as frame and under carriage deficiencies to deserve a #1 reputation. Sooner or later the buying public will become more sophisticated. Other RV manufacturers offering 2 year warranties may be the straw that breaks Montana's back. Fool me once, shame on Montana. Fool me twice shame on me.

Posted By: Splashers3 on 03/22/10 02:20pm

We asked the question when looking at floorplans, and our salesman was honest and said we could access refrigerator, but that getting by our countertop would be a tight fit...he was correct, but we can still load up with slides in, but it is a tight fit getting by the counter defore getting to the fridge - which at that point is wide open...Not all salesman lie....

Posted By: ChopperBill on 03/22/10 03:18pm

I learned a heck of a lot after the first fifth wheel. Looked at so many in the last couple of months that I get dizzy thinking about. Montana is the number one seller, must have more dealers, so we must have looked at a gazillion of 'em. We did look at Alpines also, Montana's sister. I cant put my finger on it but is attracted us a lot more. The salesman said it was higher end but I couldn't verify that, Cedar Creek didn't seem to have a floor plan that turned us on but did look at a few. You can see what we ordered in my signature.

"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Posted By: SuperdutyII on 03/22/10 06:28pm

up2nogood,

Slinging mud at another members comments is no help to the OP. Selecting an 5th wheel based on initial purchase price only is a huge mistake. Estimated cost of ownership over 5 years would be a much better measure. A particular 5th wheel might cost more initially but total cost of ownership over 5 years might be considerably less. 2 year warranties, brand of tires on unit, quality of appliances, frame dimensions, quality of work are much more important criteria than price alone. Buying a 5th wheel has allot more to it than price and floor plan.

Posted By: LI Happy Camper on 03/23/10 05:40am

We just purchased our Alpine 3500RE 3 weeks ago. I have had time in the last 3 weeks to go through it very thoroughly and I absolutley love it. I just finished waxing the glass windows so I dont get water spots and went through every cabinet to see if any adjustments needed to be done. Only 2 minor adjustments to drawers needen to be done. I was able to get my Alpine for much less than what the Montana's were going for with what I thought were more upgrades. Anyone looking at a Montana should definately look at the Alpine's!!!

2014 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 Crew Cab DRW Golden Bronze Metallic
Reese 20K fifth wheel hitch
Firestone ride rite airbags

Posted By: gpshemi on 03/23/10 10:50am

We looked at Silverback bunk houses for a while. We were pretty impressed. By the time we got around to acutally making a deal, I found they had gone down in quality IMO. The following year, the floorplan had been moved to Cedar Creeks and I felt that suffered even more. I'm not sure what the deal is. They're still a nice unit, but I don't think they're what they use to be a couple years ago. The Montana's we looked at were really nice, but no floorplan for us.

GPSHEMI

06' 3500 Dodge Ram Megacab 4x4 w/ bombed 5.9L
18K Pullrite SuperGlide w/super rails
2010 Heartland Cyclone 3612

Print  |  Close