|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Dogs on Leash Rules

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/09 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tvman44 wrote:

Leave your dogs at home they are not welcomed by most of us, especially when we have to walk in dog dodo in our own campsite. Cannot understand people that cannot travel without dogs. See some with 3 or 4 dogs.

Just what I like, a friendly sort of neighbor and NOT to rain on your parade, Most people accept dogs that have responsible owners except those that are completely out of touch with reality....IMHO, so go crawl back under your Rock!

96 Vogue Prima Vista 37' CAT 3176B
Our Babies: Mollie, Cassie and Maggie, all rescued King Charles Spaniels, Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie, Scoutie, Katie, Cooper, Kodie and our sweet Rubie RIP kids!

Rally's and get togethers.....Lots

goin2themountains

Aztec, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/09 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do love our dogs, and occasionally travel with one of the kid's smaller dogs on weekend trips, but really, really appreciate fellow campers who maintain direct control of their dogs at all times, ie. on a leash, or in a contained area. Also feel bad for those poor doggies who get left in the RV all day while the owners are out sightseeing. There is always someplace close to take your dog for a run, but please don't let it be through my campsite.

Puller: '08 HD3500 4x4 dually,CC Duramax/Allison.
Pullee: 2008 Montana 3605RL 10th Anniversary Package, Reese 16k w/ slider (holdover from old shortbed)

Steveque

Central California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/09 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read an interesting article about the dog brain. At maturity it is equal to a 2-year old child. Most 2-year olds that I know or have known can disappear in a heartbeat and get into trouble.

My Springer boy is almost 14 and totally deaf. I have to use a leash on him or he wanders away. With failing eyesight and memory, he might not remember the return path. He is totally at the mercy of any dog or person that approaches him from the rear. That's were I come into play. I shield his back side from attack, even friendly attacks.

In his prime my boy would walk with me but it was a constant reminding him to heel. I did do a PetCo obedience course which he passed. So, if your dog pulls at his leash, I would suggest getting into a class to break him of that habit.

Steve Quesenberry
Central California

kysurveyor

ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/09 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 25# Cockapoo. We camp 6-8 weeks each year. The dog ALWAYS goes with us. She is ALWAYS on a leash. We even put a leash on her inside, so if she darts out the door, she cannot wander off(learned this after she bolted out the door in Grizzly country) She will bark ooutside at times, but we always grab the leash and reprimand her. I am very ticked off at people who do not pick up after their dogs. I am a little irritated at people whose dog is off leas (I do not know how well the dog responds to voice control. I would never consider leaving our dog at home (the kids would not want to go camping), plus the kennel is $35 a day. For the person who obviously has a distaste for dogs, either find a park with a no pet area, or stay home. I am not a cat lover, but cannot imagine doing anything that might even possibly injure a cat-they are expected to be on a leash as well. One of the reasons we got into camping was that we could take our dog withus.

Keith, Suzy two teenagers and a dog
2005 Seneca 35 GS Super C
2006 Dodge Durango with 5.7 Liter Hemi

FreeRanger

Somewhere in the USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/09 12:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tvman44 wrote:

"Leave your dogs at home they are not welcomed by most of us, especially when we have to walk in dog dodo in our own campsite. Cannot understand people that cannot travel without dogs. See some with 3 or 4 dogs."

I think you might be over rating the number of folks that think the way you do. Yes, we're one of those that travel with 4 dogs now. I almost dread taking them for a walk because we can't walk. We have to stop at every other campsite so that the kids and adults can come and pet the dogs and interrogate us about them. They are all mixed breed from the same family and look like Benji.

I think I can speak for most responsible dog owners when I say that we too are aggravated by irresponsible dog owners. I can't tell you how many times we've picked up after someone else's dog. I understand your disgust. The first time out with our 5er when it was new, I backed into the site, stepped in dog poo and traced it in the camper. My dogs hadn't even been out of the truck yet.

I've also camped at places where I wished people left their kids or their drunken husband (or wife) home as well, but that's not the majority. Wh can't we travel without our dogs? This is why.

George

2005 Fleetwood Southwind 37C

Shotgun

CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/09 12:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cdnfthree wrote:

my arm is going to be too sore to reel fish in after walking these beasts.

then teach them how to walk on a lead, its not hard to train a dog.

Hunting is not a hobby. It is much more life sustaining than that.
Dale-pilot, Jeanette-co-pilot
Electrician since 1978

2003 30' Sprinter 5er
2001 Dodge CTD

LEN Retired

SW Michigan ( Two Paws )

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/09 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not like dogs that are off the leash. My opinion,,if your dog ran at me while walking my dog, My Jazz would protect me, and it makes it more difficult for me to control mine none the less two now if your dog was on a leash, no problem at all and my Jazz would want to play. Bottom line ,,,,,leashes were made for dogs and no and's, if's or but's about them. Bill and Jazz.

06 GMC 2500HD Duramax, 2007 Holiday Rambler Alumascape Suite 32SKT,3 slide 5th wheel " SEMPER FIDELIS "
Jasmine, 2006-2013 RIP.

AdirondackBob

Bolton Landing, New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/09 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gestanton wrote:

I almost dread taking them for a walk because we can't walk. We have to stop at every other campsite so that the kids and adults can come and pet the dogs and interrogate us about them.

LOL we have the same problem. We had to get t-shirts made up with the dog's breed (Great Pyranese) and weight (155#).

Jackha1949

Any Where USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/09 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 2 goldens and are responsible dog owners. We pickup after them always and have them on leashes, however, if we can find a safe place where they can run free without bothering anyone else we do at times and yes pickup after them. I too do not like dog owners who do not keep their dogs under control and do not pickup after them. Soon we will be full-timing so the dogs will be with us all the time, the MH will be our only home and it will be the dogs as well. If you do not like camping where there are dogs I suggest you only go to the RV resorts that do not allow dogs. Also if we see a dog owner who isn't picking up after their dog we just hand them a doggie bag, they don't have any excuse not to pickup their dogs poop!

Jack & Peg
USN Ret AGC
K1ZMB
Sioux Falls, SD
06 Itasca Horizon 40KD

TEO

Inverness, FL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/09 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When a campground is well populated you have to obey the leash rules. In the early season when there are few people in the campground, we have been invited to let our two Labs run with the owner's dog. The difference is we pick up, the campground owner does not.

Paul

Paul & Helen
2002 Winnebago Journey DL
1999 Jeep Cherokee toad
Yellow Lab, Jodie, Chocolate Lab, Coco , and Lab/Golden mix, Sandy.
FMCA 98905
http://ptempesta.blogspot.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Dogs on Leash Rules
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: