|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Atwood Water Heater Control Panel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
alsimon96

Branson, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/10 11:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an Atwood Water Heater with both LP and Electric heating. I have the standard control panel with two switches and a red light between the switches. Until a few days ago, the red light worked normally. In other words, if I tried to use LP and the heater failed to light after three tries, then the red light would come on.

Now the red light is coming on for a different situation and I don't understand why. I am operating with electric only. As far as we know, the water is being heated properly. At least we have not noticed lack of hot water.

In any case, several times the light has come on while heating only with electric. If I turn the electric off and then back on, the light goes out.

Can anybody explain why the light would be coming on when only using electric heat? What does it mean?

Thanks for your help.

2004 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab, D/A, 4WD, Timbrens. Bilstein Shocks
2005 Open Road 357, Pullrite Superglide, Morryde Pin Box, Roto-Choks, Prodigy Controller

alsimon96

Branson, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/10 12:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well the problem with my water heater may be worse than I thought in my first post.

Now, when I put the electric on or when I put the LP on, the red light comes on immediately. I hope my description is clear.

When I throw the electric switch, the red light comes on immediately. It goes off when I turn the electric off.

Also, when I throw the LP switch, the light comes on immediately. It goes off when I turn the LP off.

At this point, I'm not sure if it is heating the water. I will know tomorrow morning. Can anyone help me?

FLY 4 FUN

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/10 01:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My understanding from using the attwood in our Jayco was that the red fault light between the gas and electric would light indicating a fault of the LP side of the heater. Perhaps there is more to it than that, but I never had it light when being used on electric only. The actual red switch would light up indicating I had selected electric or gas but the only time the "fault" light should be on was when I ran out of LP, or didn't purge the lines prior to attempting to light the tank.

Daryll

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
Prodigy BC Reese 16K slider
2009 Colorado 29BHS
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

EMD_DRIVER

Gerrardstown, WV

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/10 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would recommend cleaning the contacts with a rubber eraser. You could also un-plug and plug the switch wires one at a time. The wires are very small and won't be easy.

Here is a picture, of the rear of my panel..

You can also clean the contacts on the WH's circuit board. In the following picture, you can see the control board in the upper right-hand corner. Un-plug the connector and either use a rubber eraser, or just un-plug and plug it back in a few times. See if that works.

You WILL want to kill both the 120VAC and 12VDC power, when you do this. There is a possibility of shorting something out (Don't ask me how I know..)

You will also invariably hit the pump switch and run the pump. Killing the 12VDC power will eliminate that possibility.

2003 Sunline F-344SR fifth wheel

1999 Ford F350.. 7.3 Dually

EMD_DRIVER

Gerrardstown, WV

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/10 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's also a good checklist and troubleshooting guide...

CLIcKy

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/10 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alsimon96, be aware that the wiring for 110 into the water heater is on the other end. Inside your rig. There probably is not a problem there but I am just giving you a heads up.

GAS/ELECTRIC OPERATION. The unit can be run in both gas and electric
modes simultaneously for quick recovery. note: if the gas fails to
ignite, the gas mode will lockout, but the lockout lamp will not illuminate
since the electric mode is still operational. Should you notice
slow recovery, indicating the gas is not working, turn the electric
switch off. The lamp will then illuminate indicating a lockout has
occurred on the gas side. Correct the problem and turn the switches
back on.

Atwood water heater wire and assy parts breakdown

When you switch to LP and everything seems ok but the light stays on does the burner in the water tank fire off when you run your hot water enough to make it come on?

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

lazylen229

Ontario Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/10 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could possibly be indicating over-temp.

99 Four Winds Windsport 35' V-10 F53 Class A Gasser

jetcare

RV Repairman - South Fork CO in the Summer

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/10 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lazylen229 wrote:

Could possibly be indicating over-temp.

How did you come to this conclusion? Did you find this in an owner's manual or service manual?

Matt

2012 Palomino Sabre 32' Travel Trailer
2010 Ford F350 Super Duty 4X2, SRW, 6.4L

heavyequiptmentmover

Huntington Station ,New York

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/10 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alsimon96 wrote:

I have an Atwood Water Heater with both LP and Electric heating. I have the standard control panel with two switches and a red light between the switches. Until a few days ago, the red light worked normally. In other words, if I tried to use LP and the heater failed to light after three tries, then the red light would come on.

Now the red light is coming on for a different situation and I don't understand why. I am operating with electric only. As far as we know, the water is being heated properly. At least we have not noticed lack of hot water.

In any case, several times the light has come on while heating only with electric. If I turn the electric off and then back on, the light goes out.

Can anybody explain why the light would be coming on when only using electric heat? What does it mean?

Thanks for your help.

When operation with both Switches "ON"during LP/Electric.If the LP system fails "RED" warning light will illuminate.
Turning the electric switch "Off" then back "On" will turn out the light.
Are you trying "Electric" operation with the LP switch in the "Off"
position to note if the light remains "Out".

alsimon96

Branson, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/10 12:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My hot water heater has started working normal (as described in the posts above).

I don't know why it was acting so goofy. I am reasonably sure it was not operator error. I am fairly savvy on stuff like this. And it has been working properly for several years. And all the switches, modes, indicators, etc. that were described above worked as advertised.

Then all of a sudden last night, the indicator light would come on for either switch. Also, the gas would not light. When I went to bed, I turned the gas switch to OFF and the electric switch to ON. The indicator light was also on. This morning we had hot water. So that means the electric heater was working even though the light was on.

The only possible explanation is we had very heavy rains for several days. Perhaps high humidity had something to do with it. I opened the water heater panel (on the outside) but everything looked just fine.

Anyhow, thanks for your suggestions. For sure it gave me the confidence that I more or less knew what I thought I knew.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Atwood Water Heater Control Panel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS