Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Restringing day night shades

Posted By: Beverly J on 01/16/10 09:30pm

I have found many diagrams on how to resting my day night shades, but none of them tell or show how to get the gromets out so that you can remove the top rail to get to the springs. Can anyone help Please??

Posted By: othertonka on 01/16/10 10:20pm

Maybe this will help. I have not had to do any restringing as of yet so when the time comes I will probably use this site. One thing that I recommend is after you get them restrung that you operate the shades one shade at a time, by that I mean raise the night shade by itself and then raise the day shade by itself. Then lower the day shade first and then the night shade. Don't raise or lower both shades at the same time, your strings will last a lot longer.
Restring

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Posted By: pulsar on 01/17/10 06:52am

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

Posted By: tenbear on 01/17/10 11:36am

My Day/Night shades just have an insert in the top that slides out the end after you take the end caps off. BTW, my shades are not strung the same as all the diagrams that I have seen. I have 2 springs, one on each side attached to the end caps. If you have a Four Winds product you may have the same type of blind that I have. I have restrung two of them.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Posted By: Heir Max on 01/17/10 07:01am

Remove the little knob that you pull it up and down with. The screw is against the inside and won't let it slide off.

99 Tradewinds
2000 Explorer Toad

Posted By: Beverly J on 01/17/10 08:21am

The rivets go thru the plastic that I think is suppose to come out.

Posted By: Clay L on 01/18/10 03:39pm

Although I didn't show them in the diagram below I drew, mine also have the springs on the top.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Posted By: Clay L on 01/18/10 03:36pm

MoRambler wrote:

What and where do you get the string to replace the bad stuff?? We've got one that has broken, and been watching for something like this article hoping to get some info.

I got it at a JoAnns Fabric store.

Posted By: Clay L on 01/18/10 03:37pm

Beverly J wrote:

I have found many diagrams on how to resting my day night shades, but none of them tell or show how to get the gromets out so that you can remove the top rail to get to the springs. Can anyone help Please??

I either pried them out or pushed them in - don't remember which.

Posted By: MoRambler on 01/18/10 06:58am

What and where do you get the string to replace the bad stuff?? We've got one that has broken, and been watching for something like this article hoping to get some info.

Larry & Ann w/Lucy the cocker
'00 Mountain Aire 350 Cummins/Spartan
Toad: '05 Jeep Liberty Ltd.

Posted By: MoRambler on 01/18/10 07:31am

Thanks all. Guess I'll give it a try after I order some string.

Posted By: Rubber Ducky on 01/18/10 07:11am

I went to this web address: www.fixmyblinds.com They have the string to repair day-night shades.

Robert & Tricia

Posted By: biljo99 on 01/18/10 07:11am

Specialty Window Coverings
1655 Gateway Court
Elkhart, Indiana 46514-8216
574/262-5190

2014 Ford F450 King Ranch CC PSD LB DRW 4.30 Moonroof 6.7 auto
Navigation Sirius/XM sony radio
Air bag suspension with tank and monitor
Transfer Flow 75 Gallon tank with Monitor
Reese 25K hitch/goose hitch
2009 Elite Suite 36RSSB3/4 #5008

Posted By: woodburner on 01/18/10 06:51pm

You can also get pieces parts right here!

TIFFIN ALLEGRO 34TGA

Posted By: tenbear on 01/18/10 07:24pm

I bought my string at www.fixmyblinds.com. Be sure you get the right size. They offer up to 3 samples that you can compare with the string in your blinds. Mine was larger than the string that is recommended for day/night shades. When you restring blinds give yourself lots of room and allow plenty of time, especially the first time. They also give you a discount when you buy the string after you have received their samples. I bought a large spool of string, all the blinds are the same age. Its much easier to restring the blind before the string breaks, so if it is frayed, restring it before it breaks. Melt the new string onto the old and pull the string through. You probably can't do this with the blind in place.
Good luck!

Posted By: PHE on 01/19/10 06:14pm

MoRambler wrote:

Dirty Blind Man - string, groments, CD of instructions - Low Price

HERE

Did it - was easy

PHE

Posted By: Doug and Cassi Glass on 01/19/10 06:07pm

Make sure you cut LONG pieces of string. I fought one yesterday for three hours and found out I cut the strings too short. Had to re-order another spool from fix my blinds.

Posted By: thunderstruckhd on 01/20/10 08:47pm

Did 2 of mine, very easy, took about 10 minutes each once I had them laid out on the table...

Prevost H3-45 Featherlite Vantare
500HP Series 60 Detroit Diesel
Assorted trailers,toys and toads
And Zoie the Doberman.(01/26/01 - 07/23/11) R.I.P.

Posted By: Beverly J on 01/20/10 07:28pm

Thanks everyone, my granddaughter helped me, so we got it put back together. Hope it hangs right. Now I have to find where to buy new grommets.

Print  |  Close