RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: New purchase "must have" items for TT?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> New purchase "must have" items for TT?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/10 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The extras you need depend largely on the type of camping you do and how well you like gadgets.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

sdadams

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/10 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you have it covered except for steaks, beer, etc...

2010 Flagstaff 831BHSS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0 Gas

go6car

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/10 07:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations on the new TT!!! Some other things you might want to consider, depending on your subjective preferences -- Other stuff you might already know/have, but here goes: (I might be redundant in what some of the other posters have already outlined):

Should already have a smoke detector/carbon monoxide detector in the unit. Make sure you test prior to delivery.

• Good mirrors on your tow vehicle (if not already equipped with them)

• Chemical for the toilet/holding tanks

• Black streak remover for the exterior

• A good, portable leveler.

• Lynx levelers or similar (if you didn’t already have for the popup. We used our old ones from our popup days, but did need some additional ones for the TT)

• A sewer hose support (if you go places that don’t let you have the sewer hose on the ground. A decent, relatively cheap one is the “Camco’s Sidewinder”).

• Depending on where you camp (if you go places where you only have a 50 amp site) -- A 30amp to 50amp converter. (A good one I’ve found is “Power Grip Dogbone Adapter 30 amp to 50 Amp”).

• Ball grease for the hitch ball. Lowes has some from Reese in a small tube that is ideal for portability. (Looks like a small tube of Vaseline).

• Might want an awning mat for the length of your new awning. Tons on Ebay and the other camping stores. I have a 20’ Prest-o-Fit one (looks like turf) and also a 20’ one that is a plastic weave type (like from Awningmats.com). Both are good – depends on personal preference.

• Bracket for the refrigerator/freezer that allows you to leave it cracked open when not in use and also during the winter. (The dealer should probably have this). Is a small gray plastic wedge thing…

• Depending on camping needs, some people install a second battery (we did) right next to the original one. Got a permanent plastic case with strap from the dealer to house both.

• Depending on where you camp, might want a water filter/purifier. This is personal preference, and there are a ton of units (permanent and disposable).

• Might want more water pressure from your standard-issue showerhead. We got an Oxygenics one (Camping World). It made a huge difference!

• Ask for anything you need to de-winterize the unit (should already be done when you get it), and also anything you’d need to winterize next season (RV antifreeze, etc.). Good info here: LINK

Most important-- ENJOY!!! (Shouldn't have any trouble with that one, LOL!!)

2013 Coachmen Encounter 36KS
2004 Jeep Wrangler

HappyTrails2U2

Tennessee is home but being held hostage in GA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/10 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget wheel chocks. A couple of these BAL X-chocks will keep the rock and roll down while your walking inside your trailer. I bought a starter kit for mine. They say it's cheaper than buying each item separately but I couldn't swear to it but anyway it seems to have just about everything you could need in it. I did buy the upgrade kit that has a better sewer hose in it than the one that came with the kit.

2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS
2003 Chevy Silverado 1/2 Ton Extended Cab

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/10 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of good suggestions...but I have to question one of them..
a solar panel is not a "must have item."

Go camping, take a pad and paper, you will soon discover what are "must have items."

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP

flguppie

Treasure Coast-FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/10 08:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toilet paper for RV

don't leave home without it

FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2014 220RBK KZ Spree Connect
2010 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.4L

TURBODOG1000

INDY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/10 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I second the GOOD MIRRORS and you also need AWNING TIE-DOWN STRAPS, it can get windy! & a BATTERY SHUT-OFF SWITCH. The LP leak detector cannot be turned off and will drain the battery in 3 days during storage. The sewer hose needs to be a upgrade from the one that comes with your new TT, like RHINO brand sewer hose. A set of WALKIE TALKIES, you are not backing up a pop-up any more and walkie talkies can save a marriage.

Congrats on your new TT!

2005 F150 XLT Supercab LB Heavy Payload 5.4, 4.10
2007 Jayco Jayflight 31BHDS
Back-up camera on the TT with infrared & microphone
Prodigy
ScanGauge II
Reese duel cam hitch, U-bolt style ($40 at a garage sale)
2 canoes, 3 kayaks, & camping dog (Tootsie)

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/10 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I second the awning tie downs. I use the "hold awn" brand. Excellent product.

I found going to a larger camper the walkie talkies are critical (unless you like to hear your better half yelling at you).

I also have a tree branch lopper. Nothing worse than a tree branch scratch on new fiberglass.

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

NHFirefighter

NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/10 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tire pressure gauge. The right tow set-up - weight distribution if appicable and sawy bar.

DW and ME
2009 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4.10 axle
Crusader 290RLT
Line-X and Fold-a-Cover

coug

Eastern Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/10 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's what we did with our first popup and we do it with every trailer after that. Get the free catalog from your RV dealer and just go through it page by page. You will always see something you forgot. Then take a paper and pencil with you every time you go. We bought one of the composition books and started making a list of things to buy right away, things to fix right away, and stuff to do over the winter. As someone else once said on this forum eventually you will create a list of things to take out! Have fun!

----------
2010 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Chevy 2500HD LTZ

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> New purchase "must have" items for TT?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS