|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> question about diesel motorhomes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
stargazerww

delaware county pa

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/10 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have a gas class a 89 fleetwood 32ft southwind so i have no idea!!!

what kind of heating system do yall have in diesel rvs?

i see a couple different names pop up unlike my forced air heater which works well in my opinion.
do they tie into ur chassis engine heater?
do they heat well?

* This post was edited 01/18/10 08:36pm by stargazerww *

zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/10 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I had a propane fired forced air in my 40 ft DP. Worked well. I now have a hydro hot system. Diesel fired boiler that heats the coach, all the hot water, and pre heats the engine. works on fuel or electric. Running down the road it runs off the engine heat. Works well.

05 Tiffin Zephyr
07 Dodge Caliber toad
Artic Fox 1150 slide
2011 DRW 3500 Crewcab Longhorn

wallynm

Los Alamos NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/10 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A hydro hot system has a boiler like system that will heat like a hot water boiler in a stick built house. Look
HERE

for a complete description.

Some folks have heat pumps which means your AC will run back wards and push warm air inside you rig and cold air outside. They only work above say 35 degrees or so.

Some folks will have an auxiliary heating system in the back that works just like your heater in the front as long as you are runninbg down the road.

stargazerww wrote:

i see a couple different names pop up unlike my forced air heater which works well in my opinion.
do they heat well?

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner Yahoo Group or FCOC Web Page

2002 DSDP 3567 PUSHED BY KITTY KAT

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/10 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I actually use four different types. The roof airs are heat pumps. The kitchen and bedroom have baseboard heaters, the AquaHot system uses an electric or diesel fired boiler and I have a 1200W small heater I bought at Home Depot. The advantage of the AquaHot system is that it offers unlimited hot water for showers and no noise heating. There are small fans at the registers that send the warmth throughout the coach. It is broken into three zones so you can heat only the areas that need to be heated. Very quiet compared to the gas fired furnaces. There is also a radiant type heating that heats up the floor but I have had no experience with them......Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Mr.Mark

California/Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/10 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have three air conditioners on the roof that are also heat pumps. They work well. If the temp is lower than 35 or so, I use the Aqua Hot diesel furnace system that keeps everything toasty warm. The Aqua Hot also allows us to have endless hot water. It also has an electric hot water feature so I don't have to burn diesel fuel and can heat the water with electric only.

MM.

Mr.Mark
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42.2 ft., 4 slides, 425 hp clean-air Cummins diesel (on consignment soon)
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking
2015 Liberty Coach (arriving soon)

zmotorsports

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/10 06:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stargazerww wrote:

do they heat well?

Like others have already mentioned some have the hydronic style of heating systems. They go by the names Aqua-Hot, Hydro-Hot, Oasis and I think there is another unit out there (can't remember the name).

Depending on what type/level/year of coach you are looking at will be a large determining factor on the heat options. Most are the standard LP furnace, and then they will generally (but not always) have heat pumps built in to the A/C units. The heat pumps are good down to around 35-40 degrees then it is time to start the furnace.

In our 38' Beaver we had a 42K BTU furnace and it did a good job of keeping the coach warm even though we didn't have dual pane windows but it was the standard noisy furnace inside and didn't provide basement heat for the tanks.

As far as noise many of the newer LP furnaces have dual speed fans that are much quieter than their older models so that issue has been somewhat resolved/addressed, as well as many units due to the size of the coach have dual LP furnaces also. One in the front and one in the rear. In order to get the amount of BTUs needed to warm that large of a coach many have a 25K rear and 35K front for example.

When you start to get into the upper-middle and upper end coaches the hydronic/boiler style furnaces become available, especially in the last 6-8 years or so.

It depends a lot on what you are looking for but if you can swing one with the hydronic heat I don't think you will be dissappointed. Many people don't care for them but that is because they don't own one yet. I personnaly love the comfort and convenience of the hydronic heating. Ours is the Aqua-Hot unit. Mike.

2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

caymann

wherever parked

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/10 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They also have hydronic heating using propane as a fuel (instead of diesel)
It is made by Aqua Hot in CO as well as Twin Temp in OH
I think Newmar was offering that in their 08' dutch star coaches
There may have been other vendors

If you are going to spend time in warm climates, the propane forced air heat will work just fine.

I never use the heat pump on the AC as it is noisier than the hydronic heating.

01'Monaco Executive Tag
RM(S)chassis,Cum-ISM500
04'Dodge Ram 3500,Cum-ISB325
05'BMW F650GS motorcycle

dicnic

Boynton Beach, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/10 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have two forced air furnaces that work off propane. Work well but are quite noisy. We also carry a couple of electrically operated space heaters when we do not wish to use up our propane and are plugged into some campground electricity.

Sold our 2001 National Tradewinds, might buy a new on someday.

One Bald-Headed Old Guy (me)
One Jewish-American Princess (DW)
Two Birman Cats, Mocha & Coco

I speak three languages: English, Sarcasm & Profanity

69RoadRunner

VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/10 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bottom line is there are several options. All are available in both gas and diesel motorhomes with the exception of the diesel-fueled Aqua Hot type systems.

09 Newmar Ventana 3942
Bunkbeds for the munchkins

treecounter

Bend, OR. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/10 02:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WE don't have a "Aqua Hot" system in our 40' pusher and I don't want one. Because when we are in most RV parks you are within 20' of your neighbor and the exhaust goes into their site. I also don't like having diesel exhaust blowing into my patio.

Treecounter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> question about diesel motorhomes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS