Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Tow Wiring on E450 Chassis

Posted By: Olddud on 01/23/10 09:14am

I have a 2010 Itasca Cambria on an E450 chassis. It came with a standard 7 pin tow connector on the rear of the unit. I assume some of these wires find their way to the steering wheel area of the MH, but not sure where they might be. I want to wire my toad brake switch to the existing wiring so that I can put a light on the MH dash showing brake application in the toad.

Does anyone know where I can find this wiring? I plan to use the "electric brake" wire, which I assume is unused since I have no electric brake system. I did find a connector under the steering that is open on the end and taped to a wire bundle, but don't know what this is for. Maybe this what I am looking for?? If so, where would I get the male part of this connector?

Posted By: rvten on 01/23/10 09:23am

What AUX. toad braking system are you going to use. Most have a break indicator up front. To let you know when the AUX. brake is activated.

Night time I can see the brake lights reflect in the rear view camera when they come on.

Not sure why you want a light to come on when you hit the brakes.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Posted By: YesMan on 01/23/10 09:25am

Have you tried here:

Winnie Wiring Diagrams

Posted By: carringb on 01/23/10 10:39am

Brake controller harness is a 6-pin rectangular plug located behind the parking brake pedal at the corner of the floor/firewall.

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon, V10 - 385,000 miles
2014 CreekSide 31KQBS (QuadSlide bunkhouse)

Posted By: Olddud on 01/23/10 11:48am

carringb wrote:

Brake controller harness is a 6-pin rectangular plug located behind the parking brake pedal at the corner of the floor/firewall.

I found a 6 pin rectangular plug, but it was located up above and about 8" to the right of the parking brake pedal. None of the pins on that plug have continuity to the electric brake pin on the tow plug at the rear of the MH.

I could not find any other plug at the corner of the floor/firewall, nor anywhere else. I took apart all the plastic panels, and nothing could be found.

Guess I'll keep looking.

Posted By: carringb on 01/23/10 01:35pm

I believe what you found may have been the engine compartment pass-though harness (used some upfitters for accessories).

My trailer brake connector was taped to the large wire bundle in the corner. I had to cut the tape to access it.

Posted By: Olddud on 01/23/10 02:42pm

carringb wrote:

I believe what you found may have been the engine compartment pass-though harness (used some upfitters for accessories).

My trailer brake connector was taped to the large wire bundle in the corner. I had to cut the tape to access it.

OK. I'll get back in there and look real hard again. It would probably bite me if it was a snake!

Posted By: Dusty R on 01/23/10 03:03pm

There were two plugs in that area. I got the wrong one first. The right one was buried behind something, maybe a side panel. Both plugs are alike.

Dusty

Posted By: Olddud on 01/23/10 06:44pm

Dusty R wrote:

There were two plugs in that area. I got the wrong one first. The right one was buried behind something, maybe a side panel. Both plugs are alike.

Dusty

OK, I looked VERY carefully in the left hand side, behind the side panel, around the various harnesses behind the emergency brake, and I found two dead end cables, and both have plug-in fuses in them. Of course, there are only two wires going to each, so I am sure they aren't the ones you refer to. My manual says there is a "provision for an electric brake controller" near the steering column. There is a 6 pin rectangular connector near that location, but it has no continuity to the plug at the MH rear.

I guess I need to call the dealer or trace the rear plug wires to the front.

Posted By: tatest on 01/23/10 11:09pm

If the pinout diagram in that connector says one of the pins is for an electric brake controller, then Winnebago should have wired their extension to Ford's electric brake controller wire.

Information about where that wire comes out under the dash will be in the service manual, possibly the owner's manual, for the E-series chassis. Ford dealer might be more help than the Winnebago dealer.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Posted By: Olddud on 01/24/10 11:54am

Well, I give up. I sure do thank all of you who tried to help, but I must be blind.

I used a circuit tracer and followed the electric brake wire from the tow plug forward to about mid-section of the chassis. From there it went into a maze of large wire bundles, where I lost it. Then I checked every visible yellow wire under the dash, floorboard, engine bay, and no continuity.

One of the fine members here (Dusty R) is sending me a picture, so maybe that will open my eyes.

Posted By: j-d on 01/25/10 09:03am

When you get that picture from Dusty, I and probably others would like to see it. I think it's a very good idea to provide independent verification that the toad's brakes are applied. The supp brake system might just not know they're applied or apply them and fail to report it.
Radio Shack has various little 12V piezo buzzers, if you also want audible notice the toad brakes are applied...

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Posted By: Olddud on 01/29/10 06:43am

Just an update.

I got the picture from Dusty -- no connector found like his. I also got a picture from Winnebago -- no connector found, and picture similar to Dusty's. Told Winnebago about the picture and how it doesn't match much of my wiring -- they told me to call Ford HQ. and gave me their number. Called Ford -- their technical advisor told me that the connectors never come out in the same place every time. Ford told me to go to any local Ford dealership, and they could find the connector. I will try a dealership near home to see if they are able to help me.

I am now very tired.

I tried figuring out how to post pictures, but it seems too hard for my mind.

Posted By: Kamphiker on 01/29/10 07:27am

How and where are you going to connect the wiring to the TOAD ?

2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

Posted By: carringb on 01/29/10 10:18am

Ahh. I forgot about the changes for '09.

The newer E-series have completely different connectors because of the optional Integrated Brake Controller.

THe wiring should be tucked up behind the dashboard, to the left of the stereo.

See page 11:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2010/2010_Electrical.pdf

Posted By: Crem on 01/29/10 02:23pm

Olddud, when you mentioned tracing that brake wire back to the center of the coach, that rang a bell. A few years ago I remember tracing for a wire and it could have been that brake wire. I have a 2003 Itasca and I called their technical help and the fellow told me that there could be a plug ending in the middle of the chassis which was there before the frame was extended. After a lot of searching I found that plug wrapped up and then went from there to the receptacle that I was wiring. I remember now. My chassis only had a 6 pin receptacle back there and I wanted a 7 pin and had to search for the missing wire.

Posted By: Olddud on 01/29/10 02:28pm

You are right about where it is located. The largest Ford dealer in the area told me it is behind the switch panel just above the radio. He was right. It is also a weird looking connector.

This is the panel:

This is the connector:

Man, was that a nightmare finding it. You have to remove the brown plastic dash surround by popping it off. Then, pull it back far enough to find the connector setting on top of the area above the switch panel. Now the wires ring out correctly.

I plan to put a panel light in the MH dash, and connect the umbilical cord electric brake wire to the brake switch in the toad to light the panel light. I had to run a wire from the umbilical connector through the toad firewall to the brake switch. By the way, the brake circuit is a dark blue wire on the MH connector.

Thanks for all the assistance, everyone. This is a great place.

Posted By: Godsey97 on 08/06/10 05:35pm

This is exactly why I am addicted to these boards.

A person needs help and the calvary comes charging....

I am going to have to install a brake controller on my 2011 Freelander and now I have saved a ton of time chasing wires..

You all ROCK!

Posted By: jagage46 on 08/05/10 09:38pm

Olddud,

You saved me. I have a 2011 Aspect and was trying to locate the electric brake feed for the same reason you did. I spent much time looking at Winnebago wireing diagrams, trying to trace the LLG wire from the seven way, continuity testing the Ford connector under the dash, and finally trying to run my own wire from the seven way to the cab. I finally googled 'E450 brake controller' and found your post. I'm glad you found the correct location and described how to get to it. It was a pain getting it below the dash, but thanks to you it only took about 15 minutes. Just curious what light you used and where you mounted it on the dash. I have the Stay-In-Play toad brake and it came with a blue light but I'm not crazy about that one. I'll look around for something that mounts nicely in the dash. Thanks again.

Jim

Print  |  Close