RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Baxter State Park, Maine

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Baxter State Park, Maine

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/10 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did a search, but came up with a lot less than I would have thought. We are thinking about maybe this summer, but probably next year, going to Baxter State Park and hiking Mt. Katahdin (sp?).

My understanding is there are no RV-suitable camping spots in Baxter State Park? Are there campgrounds around the park?

As to the park itself... if we decided to "rough" it at the park's campsites (tent, lean-to, or cabin), how does that work? How does the advance reservation system work? From the website, it looks like they don't take reservations over the internet.

I have hiked Katahdin a couple times years ago, and want to take my kids there (15 and 13 years old). We are medium-experienced tent hikers. I would kind of prefer using our 21' TT at a nearby campground and drive into Baxter.

Any other thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

dhayes

Maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/10 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov: Baxter really is better set up for tent than RV camping, although you do see shorter trailers and pop-ups in some of their sites. It is all dry camping, so no W-E. Before we bought our RV, we used to stay in the South Branch campground, which is very pretty. They do take reservations by phone. I don't think there is an on-line reservation option.

In terms of other choices, there is an RV park in Medway, which I believe is called Mountain Shadow (or something like that). I have never stayed there, but I have stayed in Mattawamkeag at the Mattawamkeag Wilderness Park, which is on the river in a beautiful setting. It does have water/electric as services, but the gravel road in to the place is about 6 miles and narrow in places. Check www.rvparkreviews.com All of these may be listed and reviewed there. Good luck. MaineDon

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/10 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John & Christine wrote:

Shhhh....Mattawamkeag is my hidden gem! Love that place. Great hiking and mountain biking. Beautiful place.

The RVParkreviews of Mattawamkeag are interesting. They all reference a rather scary sounding entrance road... is it really that bad?

Thanks for the responses. It looks like we may be doing this in 2011, our 2010 summer is already filling up!

roughingit???

Lancaster P.A.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/10 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It only has the bare necessities, they even ask for the next of kin when you enter so take it seriously, it is not a walk in the park. The best CG with all amenities is in Medway, Khatadin Shadows, W, E ,S, and washers and dryers as the weather changes very quickly and we got soaked twice. It is a fantastic park with beautiful scenery. Most closer CG's only offer water at best.

2001 F-150 Supercrew
2003Sunline t-2670
Yellow lab, other half, 2 kids

John & Christine

Milford

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/10 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dhayes wrote:

I have stayed in Mattawamkeag at the Mattawamkeag Wilderness Park, which is on the river in a beautiful setting. It does have water/electric as services, but the gravel road in to the place is about 6 miles and narrow in places. Check www.rvparkreviews.com All of these may be listed and reviewed there. Good luck. MaineDon
Shhhh....Mattawamkeag is my hidden gem! Love that place. Great hiking and mountain biking. Beautiful place.

loggenrock

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/10 11:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW - no dogs in Baxter... Think the park the other poster referenced is called Katadin Shadows. ST

Two and a hound in a 2003 Roadtrek 190P and a pair of Limmers...
First 50 done, working on the second pass!

dhayes

Maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/10 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I haven't driven the Mattawamkeag road in 3 years, so you may want to seek more recent info than what I can give. But it's rural Maine....and up here narrow, gravel roads, with wash boards, are not uncommon (in fact, I live on one). It will not be impassable, and you won't tear the bottom off your truck or RV, as long as you realize that it needs to be driven very slowly and with attention. As I wrote, it is narrow in places, with a drop-off to your left where the river is rushing through. "Traffic" will be 0-- and anyone you meet will be going as slowly or more slowly than you.

The thing about this park is that it is on a beautiful, rapid flowing, river, in a narrow canyon.......almost as pretty as anything I've seen in Baxter. It's very remote and low-key. Mtn. Shadows (or whatever it's called) is closer to Katahdin, but it has a KOA look and feel to it. MaineDon

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Baxter State Park, Maine
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS