|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> traveling with oxygen concentrator plugged in

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
pete305

Fulltimers on the Move. Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/10 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have a towable and since we are moving mom who needs 4 liters continuous flow, we are considering renting a class c with a generator so she can plug in her concentrator. we are anticipating a 12 hour trip. is it possible to travel that far with the generator plugged in and are there problems we should anticipate with her being able to walk through the class c to go to the bathroom? what about when we stop for fuel? a portable would never last that long. we will carry portable compressed oxygen "just in case" but feel it would be safer to plug in the concentrator. is it?
thanks.

targaboat

sulphur springs, tx, usa

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/10 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many watts does the concentrator require. Most Cs only has 4000 watts.

Fly Boy

sunkatcher

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/10 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the spec's on your ox machine most draw around 4 amps at 120 volt. This is 480 watts of power required. If you purchased a 600 watt inverter and wired it to the vehicle battery you could run the ox machine and have the vehicles alt. supply the power without using a generator.
Ron

masa4u.com

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/10 09:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I often travel with my generator operating. Granted I now have a larger MH and bigger generator, but even when we had the Establishment C, out here in the West traveling with the generator and full airconditioning is normal.
I'm sure the generator can handle the oxygen generator, but you may want a surge protector. Nothing fancy.
Having an inverter that will keep up the the oxygen-gen need would also be a good idea. Need to turn the RV-gen off when stopping for gas. Also if the gas-gen were to stop because of low oil, or overheating (remember it is a rental and may not be serviced as needed) then you can pull 110 power off the engine battery as needed.
Going to the rest room, or getting a snack in a Class C should not be a problem. Personally, when anyone in my party needs the rest room I will accommodate by exiting the road and stopping on level ground. It is just more comfortable that way.
Happy Trails.

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/10 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your genny is the way to go for sure. It will take another half gallon of gas per hour, but will provide the power you need easily.

Use the inverter for only short bursts when you need to shut off the genny for refueling. It's a big load unless you have four batteries or more if you need it for more than a few minutes.

Mike and Carole
2007 Snowbird 9'6" Super Slide
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2000 F350 7.3 SC 4X4
previously 8'10" Snowbird Camper
2006 Triple E Regency 27 foot SXL SOLD!

chester490

Vidor,Texas,USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/10 10:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used to have a class c. My mother always traveled with us. She also had to use a concentrator. We just stabilized it in the center of the rv with a bungee cord. She had a long tube and could walk around anywhere in the camper just fine. Her tube was so long she could even go sit outside the camper. Her respiratory supply company would also make sure we had several small portable cylinders she could use if we went on a sight seeing expidition. We had to have them refilled on one of our long trips. That was not a problem either. This was a very comfortable way for my mom to travel with us.

Blulund

Fargo, ND

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/10 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run my Mom's concentrator using a Honda eu2000 portable generator. It will run for about 8 hours on one gallon of fuel and it doesn't tax the genny at all. She usually only needs the oxygen at night but I have ran the generator in the bed of the truck with the concentrator sitting in the back seat of the pickup and Mom sitting in the front seat. Much easier than using portables, although I usually carry those with as well.

Hope this helps,
Bob

2006 F350 DRW, King Ranch, 4x4 6.0 PSD
Bailey the rescued Golden Retriever (At the Rainbow Bridge 5-12-2009)
2007 Escalade 37 REB Fifth Wheel
2001 25 ft Sportcraft

May I be half the man my dog thinks I am!!!

TennesseeBob

NW Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/10 05:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife was on oxygen and when we traveled to Michigan we would use the big portable tanks and they would last 12 hrs or more. You need the one that only releases oxygen when you breathe in.

2005 3500 Dodge QC Dually CTD
2004 Newmar American Star 32RLKS 3 slides

pete305

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/10 05:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we are in the beginning stage of planning mom's move. since we are renting the RV I am not sure what I will be getting. I have to pay extra for the generator and I have to pay $3 hr to run it. We are going to pick mom up and try to make the 700 mile trip with only fuel stops. i say "we" but it will be me, Mrs.Pete. ol' pete will be in the u-haul not far behind! I have no experience whatsoever with an onboard generator.

I also have no idea what kind of mileage or capacity the class c will have. we've always have travel trailers or fifth wheels that we pulled with our diesel so this is a new experience for us. not to mention we've never traveled 700 miles in one day with our RV. it violates our 2-2-2 rule.

our diesel has an 88 gallon tank so we rarely had to stop mid-trip. i am thinking i'll have to stop at least 3 times on our way south with the class c.

i like the idea of having our honda 2000 with us "just in case". thanks for the great idea. also, i think since she is moving we will have to obtain tanks here in the south and bring them with us when we go north to pick her up.

how else does one move when you're elderly? we couldn't even begin to travel by air!

pete305

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/10 05:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tennessee bob, thanks for the response. mom needs continuous flow, she can't use intermittent or on demand. if she could, we could just use our truck to move her and let her use her portables. it's the continuous flow that is posing the biggest problem.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> traveling with oxygen concentrator plugged in
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS