|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Newmar Mountain aire weight

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/10 10:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today I got the new to us coach weighed, just So I would know what tire pressure to run, the coach had a full diesel fuel tank, full propane, Empty fresh water tank, empty black water tank, and an empty Gray water tank.
Storage had about 200 pounds in it, other than that the coach was empty. it scaled at 27,360 pounds.

The placard in the coach says the gross weight can be 43,500 that gives me a lot more carry capacity than I ever thought.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/10 11:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

43,500 seems to be very high. Do you have a tag axle on your coach?

2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2013 Honda CR-V EX
Aventa II
FMCA member

TMitchell

Punta Gorda, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/10 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say you covered everything, but the people aboard.
When you are fully loaded for a trip, with everyone aboard, weigh it again. That way you will be able to use the tire manufacturer's charts, to factor how much air to put in your tires. You should reweigh your MH about once a year, because of weight creep up. Some owners tend to constantly add more and more stuff to their MH, so the weight will creep up and you may need to run a bit more air in your tires.
It should be very difficult to overload your MH, unless you fill the basement with lead bricks.
Tom

Tom,Pat and Buster the Boston Terrier
2004 Dutch Star 3807 Spartan 370HP
Jeep Grand Cherokee

69RoadRunner

VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/10 05:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you sure that's not the GCVWR, not the GVWR? The GCVWR is the the capacity of the vehicle and anything you tow.

09 Newmar Ventana 3942
Bunkbeds for the munchkins

dentmac

Southern Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/10 06:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,
Without a tag, GVWR cannot be over 40,000 due to DOT legal axle load limits.
The tow capacity is rated at 10,000, so I would suspect that you are reading GCWR (gross combined weight rating) leaving GVWR at 33,500. That still seems high . Is the placard original and indicating your model?
For tire pressure settings , you need to weight the wheels separately as their is often a side to side variation that can be quite large. The pressure for all wheels on an axle is set by reading the manufacturers tire pressure requirements for the heaviest wheel.

Carrying capacity is the difference between GVWR and the empty coach with full fuel + full propane + full potable water+ and four people.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/10 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GVWR - 31,000# GVWF- 12,000 GCVW not to exceed 41,000

AS weighed the coach has less than 100# difference between left and right sides.

My mistake was adding the 31K to the 12K and getting the 43K and not reading on to see the limit of not to exceed 41K.GCWR

So to correct,That I know the meaning of GCWR subtracting the 27,360 from 41,00, Was a mistake also.

Knowing (with your help) that my coach weight should not exceed the 31k,GVWR I should subtract the 27,360# from 31k (vice the 41)for a useful load of 3640#

That's to except the load already in storage that we will always have aboard.

What am I missing?

weight of 1 gal of water 8.35 pounds X 100 = 835 of freash water
Gray tank should be empty when we start a trip, as should the black tank. All I really must consider when loading for a trip is the food cloths and the stuff G/Ma (DW) takes with her.

* This post was edited 01/30/10 11:00am by Tom/Barb *

kurtmac

Lapeer, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/10 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing to consider is that GVWR adds the capacity of the front axle and the capacity of the rear axle to come up with the total number.

Subtracting your coach weight from GCWR does give you the load capacity available, but you still need to pay attention to where the load is stored.

If I remember right, you have one slide up front so you are in better shape than some of us. But you still might need to watch where you put heavier items in your storage bays.

I think you have an 11,000 lb front axle (but I'm not sure). It's important to know you aren't over the axle capacity when fully loaded. So the real load capacity depends on where you can put items and the affect on axle weight.

For instance, I have a little over 2900 lbs of carrying capacity on my weight sticker. But, with full tanks (including fuel) and all our stuff loaded, my front axle weight is within 900 lbs of it's capacity (13,600 lbs in my case). If I load heavier stuff toward the front (because it's easier to load), I can make my front axle weight be within 300 lbs of it's rated capacity. Moving heavy items rearward loads the larger capacity rear axle (20,000 lbs) and balances weight front to rear.

Axle weights is used to determine inflation pressure, with a nod toard left/right bias to choose the final number.

Hope that helps.

Kurt & Judy
2005 Newmar MADP4032

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Newmar Mountain aire weight
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS