RV.Net Open Roads Forum: When is the best time of year to buy?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> When is the best time of year to buy?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
sachilles

Waitsfield VT

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/10 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,

New to the forums. Checked out the faq, and didn't see this topic covered(nor in a search). My apologies if the topic has been covered before.

Just wondering on what time of year is the best time buy a motorhome? I'm in New England, if the region of the country is a factor.
Specificly, I'm interested in smaller class c, or possibly class b motorhomes. I'm looking for something capable of towing my race car on an open trailer ~4-4500 lbs.
Certainly seems like prices are well below what they were just a few years ago.

Thanks,

-Seth

RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/10 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably when you find what you want. Sorta like the stock market, I guess. Nobody can consistently beat the market.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/10 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

sachilles

Waitsfield VT

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/10 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smkettner wrote:

Today

Today is not good for me, how about tomorrow?

Wasn't sure if folks try to unload their motorhomes in the fall after the summer camping season has come to the end, or perhaps spring time before it starts.
Being the dead of winter up here, I'm not seeing a ton for sale(used). Wasn't sure if was just a seasonal low, or whether we just have a relatively low inventory in this area.

targaboat

sulphur springs, tx, usa

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/10 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

If you are up north, they are hard to inspect if they are not inside. So a bad time for you to not get stung. Tomorrow, the dealers are looking toward spring and see no value in sell low. End of summer probably the best for some are sick of it and sell to get out of RV. Fall probably best for dealers for they will not have to pay inventory tax and keep unit over the winter. You just never know when you are going to bingo.

Fly Boy

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/10 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi sachilles,

I think the first step in finding an RV is narrowing your needs to a particular size and style of RV.

My gut reaction is that towing with a B would be pretty limited compared to a Class C.

Class B used are scarce so the price is higher. A Class C may provide a better "bang for the buck".

I would not buy a used RV that is more than five years old.

If traveling alone look for a model that has no slides. I find folks are "slide crazy". I did not want one and managed to find a wonderful 4 year old class C that had a total of only 4000 miles on the clock.

Look for an RV with no built in generator. This is seen by many as a "must have" feature. I prefer to use my solar panels, but do have a stand alone unit as a back up.

As to time of year--December would be my best guess. I did buy mine on February 15, 2009. But after the deal was closed I was speaking with the salesman--and he told me that most years the phone starts to "ring off the hook" in January.

Three things to look for in a used RV of *any* kind

1. no water leaks
2. no water leaks
3. NO WATER LEAKS

Check everywhere you can think to look for signs of water damage.

sachilles wrote:

Hi all,

New to the forums. Checked out the faq, and didn't see this topic covered(nor in a search). My apologies if the topic has been covered before.

Just wondering on what time of year is the best time buy a motorhome? I'm in New England, if the region of the country is a factor.
Specificly, I'm interested in smaller class c, or possibly class b motorhomes. I'm looking for something capable of towing my race car on an open trailer ~4-4500 lbs.
Certainly seems like prices are well below what they were just a few years ago.

Thanks,

-Seth

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 2500 MSW watt inverter.

GMC_jon

Arizona/Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/10 04:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why advertise what won't historically sell. In your area there's not a lot of use for an RV this time of year. Go check dealers lots. Prices should be at or below wholesale.

Even in my home state of VA sales are almost non-existent this time of year.

Where we are now, AZ, sales are booming. In fact, during Oct./Nov. many eastern dealers moved a large portion of their inventory here to AZ.

Even with those units moved here prices still very much favor he buyer, most at or below wholesale for cash or pre-approved credit buyers. We've been actively looking but, haven't found the unit we're willing to live with as a final purchase.

John

Mike& Rose

Lake & Horse country,Blackstone Valley MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/10 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased in February of last year. Plus got free storage till spring. Many dealers, like car dealers try to get the old year models off the lot, to stock up the new.

See you on the road!

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/10 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sachilles wrote:

smkettner wrote:

Today

Wasn't sure if folks try to unload their motorhomes in the fall after the summer camping season has come to the end, or perhaps spring time before it starts.
Being the dead of winter up here, I'm not seeing a ton for sale(used). Wasn't sure if was just a seasonal low, or whether we just have a relatively low inventory in this area.

Eventually you will need to make it today as that if you always do it tomorrow you will never get the RV. Don't wait for Fall as you will miss all that time.

Keep your eye out for what will work for you as far as condition, floor plan and price. There is no particular time that you will save a boat load of money. Be ready to strike a deal today or it will always be tomorrow. People are always trying to unload a good RV somewhere.

fivecodys

Central California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/10 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A buddy of mine suggested this and it worked for us when we bought our 2005 ALJO.

Wait till the end of the month-

Most trailers are financed and the dealer must make a monthly payment to the bank on existing inventory-

We did this and offered almost 30% off MSRP-
They took the deal and we got our hitch work done for free.

Just a thought.

Bill

2007 Tundra DC 5.7L V8
SuperGlide 14K
Prodigy Brake Controller
2009 Flagstaff 8528RKSS Ultralight Series
Air Lift 5000

We have enough youth.......... how about a fountain of "smart"?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> When is the best time of year to buy?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS