RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Clear Coat peeling.......

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Clear Coat peeling.......

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/10 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this question has been asked and answered before although I have talked to quite a few off forum about this too so I thought ID ask those of you who maybe in the "know" what you think about my latest consenus.
First off, its a Fiberglass roof and at the moment, the peeling is confined to the roof area. My thoughts are to VERY lightly sand the roof area and feather out to where I can get to the closest end of the peel. I would then ensure I got all the dust cleared away, tape off the roof area so that nothing runs down the sides of the motorhome, put a coat of White paint(or white coating) over the area sanded, let it dry and then put on several coats of clear coat.
How's that sound?
What Brand names(if any) would I want for both the white fiberglass paint and the clear coat...any idea's? I plan on doing this project more towards the summer when temp's start raising. I already told my brother who is a painter(for the studio's) that he will be over here helping me but I dont think his expertise lies in MH painting and Clear coats.
Sorry for being long winded and while I realize this is not a perfect fix, Im just hoping to prevent or at least slow the peeling down the painted sides of the MH.
Thanks
Dwight

96 Vogue Prima Vista 37' CAT 3176B
Our Babies: Mollie, Cassie and Maggie, all rescued King Charles Spaniels, Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie, Scoutie, Katie, Cooper, Kodie and our sweet Rubie RIP kids!

Rally's and get togethers.....Lots

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/10 05:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't heard of a clear coated roof in my 40 years of RVing. Is this something that a previous owner did to make it look good? There are many different roof coatings that can be used on a roof but I think a layer of clear coat would make it almost impossible for anything to stick. Since clear coat is actually a coat of paint I don't think there is anything you can do that will prevent peeling. The original preparation just wasn't done properly.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

box710

albany ny

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/10 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know what you are saying about peeling clear coat around the edges and front and rear caps as my old coach had the same problem. Thereis a product called Hy-Tech insulatng roof paint that they use on school buses. It's a white coating that I'm sure you have seen on school buses. This is the best solution for your problem and there is no need to put clear coat over it. Just type in Hy-Tech roof coating, they are located in Melbourn Fl. Good luck

southpark

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/10 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

100% sure it is clear coat and not Diamond Shield or 3M film?

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/10 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine started doing that about 3 years after I bought it. It was very close to the end of the 3 year warranty, but Newmar agreed to pay for the fix (plus some other warranty items). I never got it done because first my wife got sick, then I had a minor health issue which postponed the warranty work (we were fulltiming). Newmar decided that the 3 year period was "carved in stone". They try to run a tight ship, gotta hand it to them.
The clear-coat peeling was just around the top, in the curved portion. The sides and end caps still look good,....EXCEPT for all the discoloring and cracking of the Diamond Shield.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

deandec

Northern CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/10 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 1995 rig has clearcoat applied over a creme gelcoat on about 50% of the sidewalls and the roofcap edges and brow.

I had the brow of my rig redone in 2003. The shop removed the peeling clearcoat, painted the area with a color to match the unpainted gelcoat on that area of the rig, and then put three coats of clearcoat back on.

That repair remains good today, and I store outdoors in the Ca sun.

Last September, I addressed the roof cap side which began peeling two years ago.

This time, I stripped as much of the clearcoat as I could with careful use of a power washer and plastic scraper. Then I used 600 grit sandpaper on a palm sander to try to remove more old clearcoat and smooth edges of that which remained solidly attached. The sander is tricky because of the danger of removing the thin layer of gelcoat below.

Then I used two rattle cans of 2 Part (2K), SprayMax Urethane Aerosol Clear Coat to apply two coats over the less than stellar surface. Cost about $45.

After buffing, I have a decent shine and the irregular underlying surface is not noticeable from the ground.

Most of the peeling was on the roof portion of the cap edge and not down the part that lays over the side walls.

I have repaired three other small clearcoat peeling situations on sidewalls with this process. It has stopped further peeling for two years so far.

At some time the entire rig will need repainting. I can get it done now for about $10,000 because the underlying paint is in good shape and we do not want to change the paint scheme. Or I could spend about $100 and do what I did.

Long story short, your idea will likely work.

Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/10 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me add this....the MH is a 96 Vogue, it has the original paint and the paint job is quite high end(not bragging..it just is) I get comments about it all the time..hence my reason to stop/slow the peeling prior to it getting to the color part of the MH. As to whether it is a True Clear Coat....it appears to be from my observations and those that Ive asked about it...and those being persons far more knowlegable than I am in Paints/coatings. Its definately not an aftermarket application. In saying this...I think that using just the white coating might be enough without a clear coat again....Thank you for that info and Brand name.

DSDP Don

Moorpark, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/10 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deandec.....I was following this post because I have a section of oxidation on the roof curve that is about 18" x 3" that I want to fix. I was thinking of sanding it and just using some Krylon clear. After reading your post I went to my local automotive paint store and asked what he recommended. He directed me to the same stuff you used. Glad you posted, I wouldn't have known to look for it.....now I just have to wait for it to stop raining.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
450 Cummins
2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ CrewCab 4WD
2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE

deandec

Northern CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/10 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don

Just realize that once you mix the rattle can contents, you have only 48 hours shelf life of the contents. So you will waste most of the can on your small repair area.

I selected the stuff because the paint store recommended it also and I had read of it on some auto forums. It is expensive for a small repair, so the paint store must love buyers like us.

Also be sure the wind is non-existent when spraying.

Rain is good. It creates a shine on everything.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Clear Coat peeling.......
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS