|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Anyone towing a Nissan Frontier, or Toyota Tacoma

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
pequeajim

New Holland, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/10 10:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am getting ready to sell my Jeep Liberty and Ford F-150 and buy a mid-sized truck. I would like to tow the truck behind my Class A, but the only one in this size range that will tow like the Jeep, (without modification) is the Chevy Colorado). I really like the Nissan Frontier the best, and the Tacoma second as they have a bit more room inside. Oh, and I really do not want a manual tranny.

Is anyone towing these four down? If you are, what did you have to do in order to tow these?

Thanks
Jim!

2012 Infinity 3750
(working on the Truck, not decided yet)

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/10 05:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check with Remco. the Toyota probably will require a tranny pump or drive shaft disconnect. they used to have disconnects for one front wheel, don't know if they still make them.
bumpy

pequeajim

New Holland, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/10 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever I choose, it will end up being my everyday set of wheels as well. I could just tow the wife's Liberty, (she has one too), and not tow the truck, but I like the ability to have that bed for carrying "stuff" to wherever we are going. I am not interested in a manual transmision, (did that for many years). Unfortunatly, this is not a vehicle to be used just as a tow behind.

I looked at the Colorado, and it is a nice truck, just not quite as roomy as the Toyota/Nissan.

Jim!

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/10 06:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2009 Frontier 4-cyl 5-speed manual with Roadmaster baseplate and Brake Buddy. Klueck's 2004 is a different generation, but sounds like towing rules are the same, manual trans only. In many 4*4 trucks the transfer case has Neutral and you can use that position to isolate the automatic trans from rotation. The way at least the 2009 is set up, the Transfer Case has no Neutral, so their towing advice is 2WD or 4WD manual trans with trasfer case in the 2High range, with transmission in Neutral.
You can use a driveshaft disconnect for sure if you want the 2WD automatic, and I'd choose that over a pump. Don't know about the 4*4 automatic.
I shopped the Ford Ranger, Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier and to me the Frontier was far and away the nicest truck as a vehicle to own, drive, enjoy.
FYI - Whether listed as so or not, the Suzuki Equator (re-badged Frontier) will accept the Roadmaster baseplate.

God Bless, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100

brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/10 06:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did the same as you, sold the Liberty and my big Chevy 4x4 to purchase a mid size truck for a toad last year. I looked at the Colorado, the Dakota and neither one of those had the fit and finish that I cared for, or the ride. Also on those I needed a 4X4 to tow them "as is". I decided I didn't need the extra weight or the $3,500. expense of a 4x4 just to make it towable. So I elected for the Tacoma, nice fit and finish, GREAT ride and better ground clearance for towing with the TRD and Sport package. I installed the drive shaft disconnect and it works great! I would do the same setup all over again. I don't know why so many seem to shy away from disconnects and buy what they really don't want just so they can tow it. If the dirt is hosed off after a rain, the disconnect is problem free, leave it dirty and it will bind up.

I now have a toad I REALLY like and a daily driver all in one. My insurance savings alone paid for the disconnect and installation.

Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

Klueck

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/10 05:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow our 2004 Nissan Frontier 4 down with no modifications but it is a manual transmission. Unfortunately you can't do it with an automatic.

pequeajim

New Holland, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/10 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JnJnKatiebug wrote:

I am towing an 04 Tacoma 4x4 auto trans. I have the disconnect as I was told when I bought the truck that the disconnect was required for the Tacoma. Since then I have searched other sites and exchanged emails with other Tacoma and Lexus owners that are towing them without mods. I discussed this with one owner that has towed his 02 Tacoma without mods for over 30,000 miles with no negative effects. His is like mine, 4x4, auto trans with a manual TC with a neutral position. Even though I have the disconnect I sometimes do not use it if I am only going to tow 100 miles or less. I just put the TC in neutral and the transmission in park and have had no problems. Since I already have the disconnect I do use it on long distance tows. If I ever have any problems with the disconnect it is coming off my vehicle and I will continue to tow without it. Keep in mind Toyota says not to do this and will probably void the warranty on a new vehicle. I do not know how the new models are set up but the key is to have a TC with a neutral position. We towed a Tahoe (too heavy) for a while and it had an electric shift push button TC, but by holding two buttons down at the same time it placed the TC in neutral. We towed it many miles without problems. It all comes down to what you want to do as it is your dime.

I have a kayak rack on the bed of my truck and I love it. After kayaking I put the kayaks up on the rack and throw all the wet yucky stuff in the back and head home.

I'm not one for crawling under my truck to clean it up every time I finish towing it. My Jeep has spoiled me in that regards. I also Kayak and throw them in the back of my F-150 and strap them down. Much easier than the other roof rack I have on my Jeep, but I don't want to tow the F-150. This is just another reason for getting the mid-size truck.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/10 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pequeajim wrote:

I looked at the Colorado, and it is a nice truck, just not quite as roomy as the Toyota/Nissan.

Jim!

If the choice is something towable 4 down without modification and drive shaft disconnects/tranny pumps, I'd do with a little less room myself. had a diconnect, hated it. As somebody said, have to rinse it off after every rain to get it to work right. My BIL had one and loved it but he didn't mind crawling under his vehicle all the time and cleaning and lubing it.
find somebody with a disconnect, have them show you how it reconnects, try reconnecting it, listen to metal on metal grind as you put a stationary gear into a moving one, then decide.
and somebody who has the disconnect and doesn't use it for under 100 miles. Gee, wonder why if they are so simple and foolproof.
bumpy

JnJnKatiebug

NW Arkansas River Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/10 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am towing an 04 Tacoma 4x4 auto trans. I have the disconnect as I was told when I bought the truck that the disconnect was required for the Tacoma. Since then I have searched other sites and exchanged emails with other Tacoma and Lexus owners that are towing them without mods. I discussed this with one owner that has towed his 02 Tacoma without mods for over 30,000 miles with no negative effects. His is like mine, 4x4, auto trans with a manual TC with a neutral position. Even though I have the disconnect I sometimes do not use it if I am only going to tow 100 miles or less. I just put the TC in neutral and the transmission in park and have had no problems. Since I already have the disconnect I do use it on long distance tows. If I ever have any problems with the disconnect it is coming off my vehicle and I will continue to tow without it. Keep in mind Toyota says not to do this and will probably void the warranty on a new vehicle. I do not know how the new models are set up but the key is to have a TC with a neutral position. We towed a Tahoe (too heavy) for a while and it had an electric shift push button TC, but by holding two buttons down at the same time it placed the TC in neutral. We towed it many miles without problems. It all comes down to what you want to do as it is your dime.

I have a kayak rack on the bed of my truck and I love it. After kayaking I put the kayaks up on the rack and throw all the wet yucky stuff in the back and head home.

2003 HR Endeavor 38PST
2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Picture in Profile

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

JnJnKatiebug

NW Arkansas River Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/10 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

pequeajim wrote:

Jim!

If the choice is something towable 4 down without modification and drive shaft disconnects/tranny pumps, I'd do with a little less room myself. had a diconnect, hated it. As somebody said, have to rinse it off after every rain to get it to work right. My BIL had one and loved it but he didn't mind crawling under his vehicle all the time and cleaning and lubing it.
find somebody with a disconnect, have them show you how it reconnects, try reconnecting it, listen to metal on metal grind as you put a stationary gear into a moving one, then decide.
and somebody who has the disconnect and doesn't use it for under 100 miles. Gee, wonder why if they are so simple and foolproof.
bumpy

I looked at the Colorado myself and I needed more ground clearance so I was going to have to do mods to the Colorado to lift it. The Tacoma already had the ground clearance so I went with it and did the disconnect. The disconnect works great as long as you clean and lube it about once a week. It is not good for someone who has the idea that maintenance is going to the quick lube every 3000 miles.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Anyone towing a Nissan Frontier, or Toyota Tacoma
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS