|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Montana 340RL

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Larry D

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/10 12:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 3400 rl and we liked it very much and had sevral problems with it. So we bought a BigHorn 3670 very similar lay out and we have had problems with it also. BUT with the BigHorn it wasn't a struggle to get thinks fixed so I really think they all have problems and it's the dealer that counts the most. Good Luck with your Montana.

ratfink09

NYS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/10 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have an `09 3400RL. One of the first things I would be looking to upgrade are the tires and suspension. If it has Goodyear Marathon tires on it made in China change them out! Lots of documented failures if you search the web. Might try to make this an issue when you make your deal. Going up a load range from "E" to "G" is a good move for safety. Lots of people including my self are going to Goodyear G-614 tires. The frame and suspension should be next. Some people have had the leaf spring hangers bend or tear due from stress. Check out a wet bolt kit and the Moryde X-Factor for your suspension as a necessary upgrade to quard against this. All this being said, my biggest complaint about my 5er is the fact I have to do all of this in the first place! These upgrades should be standard but we all know any vehicle made has an aftermarket for it to drain you dry! I looked at other brands and not much different was noted. Why should I be surprised.........I could have put a kid through college with what I had spent on Harley`s over the years!

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/10 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the 3400RL and its our second Montana. It's a popular floor plan extremely comfortable for us. It's been more or less flawless, but I do stay on top of the little things and I read the forums to try to prevent issues (i.e. replaced tires, retaped slide roof seals, etc.)

Nothing personal but I've seen people do some pretty bizarre stuff to their rigs, like hang a window air conditioner through the wall and silicone it in. To each thier own, but I would never use someone else's improvements or maintenance as an indicator of the coach quality. I've seen top end boats that some people manage to destroy in a couple of years, yet mine is 15 years old and is showroom fresh.

Biggziff

Upstate, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/10 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

We have the 3400RL and its our second Montana. It's a popular floor plan extremely comfortable for us. It's been more or less flawless, but I do stay on top of the little things and I read the forums to try to prevent issues (i.e. replaced tires, retaped slide roof seals, etc.)

Nothing personal but I've seen people do some pretty bizarre stuff to their rigs, like hang a window air conditioner through the wall and silicone it in. To each thier own, but I would never use someone else's improvements or maintenance as an indicator of the coach quality. I've seen top end boats that some people manage to destroy in a couple of years, yet mine is 15 years old and is showroom fresh.

+1

Also remember that the percentage of owners represented on any forum is infinitely small and the great majority of people will report complaints while the satisfied folks stay silent.

Me and my 3 girls
2013 Cougar 293SAB
2011 F350 CC SWB 6.7

indyroadrunner

Brownsburg In

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/10 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an 06 3400RL and had very few mostly minor problems - a lot of them due to my own stupidity - but that is another story. I am very pleased with my unit and tend to keep it for a long time. I had the mission tires for 3 years before I went to another brand. I never had any failures or problems with them with the exception I picked up a nail in an area that couldn't be repaired so I replaced them. My spare is still a mission. My unit was never heavy loaded as we use it for recreational purposes, and I always watched my tire pressure. When towing I am usually in the 60-63 mph range and I do have the trail air king pin with I think asorbs a lot of road shock.
Soooo - I don't pay a lot of attention to the nay sayers because I have had nothing but positive experiences.

06 3400RL Montana w/Trail Air King Pin
01 Bichon CEO

TopSail Hill Preserve cult member Now member of St Andrews SP Cult

up2nogood

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/10 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Biggziff wrote:

Mile High wrote:

+1

Also remember that the percentage of owners represented on any forum is infinitely small and the great majority of people will report complaints while the satisfied folks stay silent.

I agree, but is a hard concept for some to comprehend , they have had problems, and they are going to try and convince the world they are all junk.

ALBE

Kelowna B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/10 10:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ON THE OTHER HAND YOU CAN MOVE UP FOR A SMALL $$$ diff and buy a unit with a proper frame and altogether put together in a Somewhat proper fashion.

fishinrgv

NW Indiana for the time being

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/10 12:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have lived in my 2008 Montana 3400RL since Memorial Day weekend 2008. While The 5er is stationary, it does get the wear and tear from the inside. The axles, suspension, etc...have not really been tested.

The only problems I had was both A/C's having some problems. Both were replaced w/o question. At this time the "Montana" decal on the front(nose) of the 5er is now beginning to peel off. This gives me a high case of the red arse. It might be just me but I am somewhat of a stickler when it comes to maintaing the outside of the 5er.

Like I said, suspension compoenets of my 5er have not really been tested. That said this has been a great 5er, especially for one who lives in the 5er day in and day out. However if I was buying another 5er today, my hard earned money would go towards either a Carriage Carri-lite or a New Horizons. Most likely the Carri-lite. Given the current state of the economy, you can buy an even nicer 5er(and Montana is very nice, but) for a couple thousand more.

It all a matter of preference and I don't think you can go wrong with the Montana.

Geaux Tigers...1958,2003 (I attended that game,) 2007, football National Champs
91 93 96 97 00 09 CWS Champs

09 Chevy Crew Cab Duramax DRW 4x4
08 Montana 3400RL 10th Anniversary Edition.
04 Harley Davidson Fatboy in LSU colors!!!
12 VW Passat SEL diesel

richfaa

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/10 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ON THE OTHER HAND YOU CAN MOVE UP FOR A SMALL $$$ diff and buy a unit with a proper frame and altogether put together in a Somewhat proper fashion.

E.."

So that others can be informed can you list the units and expand on how they are "put together in a Somewhat proper fashion." this is good information for those lookig.

2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

richfaa

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/10 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We agree with ratfink9 in general. However IMO.The suspension upgrades should depend on how we use the unit. With normal use the suspension should be OK. We did upgrade to the Mor Ryde IS system at considerable cost. We do 10/12K miles a year and live in this thing 8/9 months of the year. The wet bolt kit and cross member kits are also good ungrades but would look at our camper use before doing this up front.

We also wish there was a heavy duty upgrade with the options ratfink9 mentions for those who feel they need them.

Many have run the OEM tires thousands of miles with no problems. We hear of the failures. Most of the OEM tires are low cost tires.. We changed ours out at 10K miles alThough we had no problems.

Just about every brand shares in these problems..Just browse this forum.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Montana 340RL
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS